Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Too many levels of symbolic links Post 40617 by Bab00shka on Friday 19th of September 2003 09:40:48 AM
Old 09-19-2003
Too many levels of symbolic links

Hi,

Is there a limit to the number of symbolic links you can have?

I tried to vi the symbolic link relating to a file and got the following error:

"filename" Too many levels of symbolic links

There is only one symbolic link to one file in this case, but there are >2000 other links to other files over the whole systems.

We are using HP-UX 11.0 and there is space in all partitions

Can anyone help please?
Cheers
Helen Smilie

Last edited by Bab00shka; 09-19-2003 at 10:53 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding symbolic links

How can I find all symbolic links across the network to a directory (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehtad
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Links for a File

how do i get the list of symbolic link names for a particular file programatically (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: b_u_n_1234
4 Replies

3. Solaris

cp a dty without symbolic links?

Hi, - we have copy (cp command) to do to save all the contents of a dty BUT we dont want to copy the files corresponding to symbolic links contained whithin this dty - the box is a sun solaris one - and the cp commande do not say avything about that? thanks for help Jakez (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JAKEZ
7 Replies

4. AIX

Symbolic Links

I am linking a directory as follows: ln -sf /home/xxx/userid/real_files/* /home/xxx/userid/linked_files This gives me symbolic links for all the files in the real_files directory in the linked_files directory. My question is, if I go and remove a file in the real_files directory and then go... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcarnesiii
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic links between directories

Hi all, lets consider 2 directories test1 and test2. I want to link test2 to point to test1, how do u do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr. Zer0
4 Replies

6. Solaris

symbolic links between servers

Hi Guys... I want to create a link using ln -s for a directory that does not exist on the box. How do I do that? I had some files from Box A directory /d1/u01 and I copied the files across to another Box lets say Box B on directory /d2/u02. Now I want a link so that this path /d1/u01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Links

Hi all, I have scoured the entire forum for this but to no avail unfortunately. Basically, I would like to remove my symbolic link from my folder name i.e. foldername -> /a/b/c/d/f where f is indeed a folder. I have tried rmdir but this does not work and in actual fact deletes the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissioning for symbolic links

I've just started using UNIX in a Linux vmplayer. I'm trying to run the command: ln -s `pwd`/$1 `python -c "from distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib; print get_python_lib()"`/$1 in a script from an online tutorial, but I keep getting an error message: ln: creating symbolic link... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ChipT
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic links in UNIX

Hi, I have a file with more than 1 layers of soft links for it. For ex. ls -la .profile .profile@ -> /home/act/.profile_abc ls -la /home/act/.profile_abc@ -> .profile_final I want to get the name of the last file (i.e. .profile_final) when I refer to .profile using shell script. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deo_kaustubh
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Symbolic links

Soft link,Hard link brief explanation (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RAJU KAVATI
1 Replies
LN(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     LN(1)

NAME
ln -- make links SYNOPSIS
ln [-fhinsv] source_file [target_file] ln [-fhinsv] source_file ... target_dir DESCRIPTION
The ln utility creates a new directory entry (linked file) which has the same modes as the original file. It is useful for maintaining mul- tiple copies of a file in many places at once without using up storage for the ``copies''; instead, a link ``points'' to the original copy. There are two types of links: hard links and symbolic links. How a link ``points'' to a file is one of the differences between a hard or symbolic link. The options are as follows: -f Unlink any already existing file, permitting the link to occur. -h If the target_file or target_dir is a symbolic link, do not follow it. This is most useful with the -f option, to replace a symlink which may point to a directory. -i Cause ln to write a prompt to standard error if the target file exists. If the response from the standard input begins with the char- acter 'y' or 'Y', then unlink the target file so that the link may occur. Otherwise, do not attempt the link. (The -i option over- rides any previous -f options.) -n Same as -h, for compatibility with other ln implementations, namely GNU coreutils. -s Create a symbolic link. -v Cause ln to be verbose, showing files as they are processed. By default ln makes hard links. A hard link to a file is indistinguishable from the original directory entry; any changes to a file are effective independent of the name used to reference the file. Hard links may not normally refer to directories and may not span file sys- tems. A symbolic link contains the name of the file to which it is linked. The referenced file is used when an open(2) operation is performed on the link. A stat(2) on a symbolic link will return the linked-to file; an lstat(2) must be done to obtain information about the link. The readlink(2) call may be used to read the contents of a symbolic link. Symbolic links may span file systems and may refer to directories. Given one or two arguments, ln creates a link to an existing file source_file. If target_file is given, the link has that name; target_file may also be a directory in which to place the link; otherwise it is placed in the current directory. If only the directory is specified, the link will be made to the last component of source_file. Given more than two arguments, ln makes links in target_dir to all the named source files. The links made will have the same name as the files being linked to. SEE ALSO
link(2), lstat(2), readlink(2), stat(2), symlink(2), symlink(7) STANDARDS
The ln utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The -v option is an extension to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A ln utility appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
October 29, 2007 BSD