Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Greater Than
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Greater Than Post 39749 by Lem2003 on Friday 29th of August 2003 09:19:13 AM
Old 08-29-2003
Java Greater Than

Hello every one! I need a little help. I would like to know if there is someway I can use a "greater than" condition in a shell script.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/sh
_curTime=`date +%H%M`
if [_curTime<2400] && [_curTime>0800]
then
        echo "$_curTime"
fi

I know that "<" and ">" is to input and output to a file I just wanted to ilustrate my example.

Thank you all!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

greater than less than in case

Hi , I want to do the following: i=6 case $i in -lt 10) echo Period=10 ;; -gt 10 && -lt 15) echo Period-15 ;; >15 && <20) echo Period=20 ;; >20 && <30) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK greater than?

Sorry for such a basic question, but I have spent hours trying to work this out! I need an awk command (or similar) that will look at a text file and output to the screen if the 4th column of each line has a value greater than or equal to x. data.txt This is the 1 line This is the 2 line This... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlam
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print lines which are greater than

I have a file which has a list of titles and then 14 lines afterwards. I need to find the 1 through 14 lines which are greater than 15k and print the title and the line which matched. Sample before: ABC.CDE.NORTH.NET 1:18427 2:302 3:15559 4:105 5:5 6:2 7:2 8:2 9:4 10:2 11:17 12:2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Greater Than Or Equal To

BASH problem with IS GREATER THAN OR EQUAL TO. I have tried a dozen variations for this IF statement to work with IS GREATER THAN OR EQUAL TO. My code below WORKS. array=( $( /usr/bin/sar -q 1 30 |grep Average |awk '{print $2,$3}' ) ) nthreads="${array}" avproc="${array}" if && ; then ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: diex
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find greater than value

Hi I want to find greater than and min value. dategrep() { varlinenum=$1 varSESSTRANS_CL="$(egrep -n "<\/SESSTRANSFORMATIONINST>" tmpsess9580.txt | cut -d":" -f1)" echo $varSESSTRANS_CL } dategrep 8 Output of the above command is: I want to find out greater than 8 and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

greater than a certain value

I have an output from db which looks like : row1 row2 row3 abc 21.1 13 efg 21.1 45 ghi 21.1 75 when I apply following command ( cat my_output.txt | awk {'print $ 4' } I have following output : row3 13 45 75 now I want to figure out if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for numbers greater than x?

I have a file with multiple fields, example below File 1: Field 1|Field 2|Field 3|Field 4|Field 5|Field 6|Field 7|100 Field 1|Field 2|Field 3|Field 4|Field 5|Field 6|Field 7|101 Field 1|Field 2|Field 3|Field 4|Field 5|Field 6|Field 7|102 Field 1|Field 2|Field 3|Field 4|Field 5|Field... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: castrojc
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to get values greater than

data.txt August 09 17:16 2013 August 09 17:17 2013 August 09 17:19 2013 August 09 17:20 2013 August 09 17:21 2013 August 09 17:22 2013 August 09 17:23 2013 August 09 17:24 2013 to print from a point in this file, to the end of the file, i type: awk '/August 09 17:22/,0' data.txt. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and substitute if greater than.

I have large config-files for an application. The lines have different structure, but some of them contains the parameter 'TIMEOUT=x', where x is an numeric value. I want to change the value for that specific paramater if the value is greater than a specific value (got that?). The timeout-parameter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Greater than specific number

please let me know how to construct if then else by comparing two numbers if it is greater than 10000. I need to do some specific task executed. can you help me out in shell scripting plz. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
6 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string]... DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character is written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, is invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, ksh93's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape characters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's and ksh93's echo does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not understand the back-slashed escape characters. sh and ksh deter- mine whether /usr/ucb/echo is found first in the PATH and, if so, they adapt the behavior of the echo builtin to match /usr/ucb/echo. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it is treated as a string, not an option. The following char- acter sequences is recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2 /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3 sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4 csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5 /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. This variable is applicable only for Solaris x86 platforms, not Solaris SPARC systems. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh93(1), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), echo(1B), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' prints the phrase WARNING: and sounds the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo "337" | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "0337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.11 8 Apr 2008 echo(1)