Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hup
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hup Post 3879 by LivinFree on Thursday 12th of July 2001 09:46:08 PM
Old 07-12-2001

Well, that was only an example. Regardless, will signal 1 (HUP) always cause a process to restart, or only in some cases? I was under the impression that it killed your processes when you logged out, thus the "nohup" utility for keeping your jobs running upon logout.

For example, if I telnet to nether.net, sign in, and run "mail", it tracks my processes. Say my session is dropped, or I close my session from my end. Isn't the HUP signal sent to "mail" to kill it, as opposed to TERM(15), or INT(2)?

I know that to restart, say, inetd, for example I can kill -1 it, but not all programs follow this convention. Is that correct?

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

samba, swat. how to send a HUP to inetd ?

solaris can't support pkill command:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cloudsmell
2 Replies

2. Linux

syslog hup

Hi All, I modified /etc/syslog.conf and execute kill -HUP syslogd_PID. There's nothing changes on the PID when I did ps -ef|grep syslogd. It's the same. Do you think it restarted the process of syslogd? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Trapped Signal HUP

We encountered an issue in our project while using the Interix UNIX (SFU 3.5) and explained our query below. We would be happy if anybody helps us to troubleshoot the problem J In our code the trapping signal for all signals like HUP, INT, QUIT, ILL, TRAP, ABRT, EXCEPT, etc., is initialized in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAMESHPRABUDASS
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with HUP and SEGV.

Hello - I need to know the detail of HUP and SEGV. I know HUP is Hangup and can be use to kill a Unix login session remotely by sending a hangup signal to the process running the login session. Could someone tell me in detail prupose of HUP and SEGV (segmentation violation)? I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: namasteall2000
1 Replies

5. Solaris

sudo for permission kill -HUP

Hi, I'm trying to provide "/usr/bin/kill -HUP" command to one of the user using sudo file. I have configured sudo as following: $cat /etc/sudoers User_Alias AA=conadmin Cmnd_Alias KILL1=/usr/bin/kill -HUPAA ALL=NOPASSWD:KILL1 When I login as the user and execute 'sudo -l' command, it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohzub
2 Replies
KILL(1) 							Linux User's Manual							   KILL(1)

NAME
kill - send a signal to a process SYNOPSIS
kill [ -signal | -s signal ] pid ... kill [ -L | -V, --version ] kill -l [ signal ] DESCRIPTION
The default signal for kill is TERM. Use -l or -L to list available signals. Particularly useful signals include HUP, INT, KILL, STOP, CONT, and 0. Alternate signals may be specified in three ways: -9 -SIGKILL -KILL. Negative PID values may be used to choose whole process groups; see the PGID column in ps command output. A PID of -1 is special; it indicates all processes except the kill process itself and init. SIGNALS
The signals listed below may be available for use with kill. When known constant, numbers and default behavior are shown. Name Num Action Description 0 0 n/a exit code indicates if a signal may be sent ALRM 14 exit HUP 1 exit INT 2 exit KILL 9 exit cannot be blocked PIPE 13 exit POLL exit PROF exit TERM 15 exit USR1 exit USR2 exit VTALRM exit STKFLT exit might not be implemented PWR ignore might exit on some systems WINCH ignore CHLD ignore URG ignore TSTP stop might interact with the shell TTIN stop might interact with the shell TTOU stop might interact with the shell STOP stop cannot be blocked CONT restart continue if stopped, otherwise ignore ABRT 6 core FPE 8 core ILL 4 core QUIT 3 core SEGV 11 core TRAP 5 core SYS core might not be implemented EMT core might not be implemented BUS core core dump might fail XCPU core core dump might fail XFSZ core core dump might fail NOTES
Your shell (command line interpreter) may have a built-in kill command. You may need to run the command described here as /bin/kill to solve the conflict. EXAMPLES
kill -9 -1 Kill all processes you can kill. kill -l 11 Translate number 11 into a signal name. kill -L List the available signal choices in a nice table. kill 123 543 2341 3453 Send the default signal, SIGTERM, to all those processes. SEE ALSO
pkill(1), skill(1), kill(2), renice(1), nice(1), signal(7), killall(1). STANDARDS
This command meets appropriate standards. The -L flag is Linux-specific. AUTHOR
Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> wrote kill in 1999 to replace a bsdutils one that was not standards compliant. The util-linux one might also work correctly. Please send bug reports to <procps-feedback@lists.sf.net> Linux November 21, 1999 KILL(1)