Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers chmod 777 on all directories below...how do I do that using the "find" command? Post 3851 by bizlink on Thursday 12th of July 2001 10:14:10 AM
Old 07-12-2001
Question New dedicated server and I'm a little confused

I am not entirely new to unix or telnet....but advanced would
be a huge stretch of the imagination.....

I am trying to chmod a directory via root and I'm getting a
no such file or directory message?

correct me if I'm wrong but you simple go to the directory
you want to change permissions on and run this command,
chmod -r 777

Tony

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing only directories in the current working directory using the "ls" command

Hello All, I am trying to list only directories in my current directory using the command "ls -d". But the output only contains the default directory "." and doesn't list the rest of the directories in the working directory. Can anyone explain why this is happening (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: igandu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: cd command to access "strange" directories

I have a problem using bash. Simply, I cannot find the right command (if there's one!) to enter in the "- Arch_02 -" directory. As you can see, the name begins with a hyphen and this is causing some trouble: localhost arch2 # pwd /mnt/arch2 localhost arch2 # ls -l total 4 dr-x------ 1 root... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robotronic
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find command" to find the files in the current directories but not in the "subdir"

Dear friends, please tell me how to find the files which are existing in the current directory, but it sholud not search in the sub directories.. it is like this, current directory contains file1, file2, file3, dir1, dir2 and dir1 conatins file4, file5 and dir2 contains file6,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamymns
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "find" in restricted directories

Hi, I would like to know is there any way to find/search filenames or directories inside the directories which has resticted permission. When we use normal "find" command it returns "permission denied" message for the root directories or directories with restricted permissions. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forstudy3
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with "find" and "grep" command

I want to list all files/lines which except those which contain the pattern ' /proc/' OR ' /sys/' (mind the leading blank). In a first approach I coded: find / -exec ls -ld {} | grep -v ' /proc/| /sys/' \; > /tmp/list.txt But this doesn't work. I got an error (under Ubuntu): grep:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
5 Replies

7. AIX

find command to list all the 777 files and directories owned by root user

Hi I'm logged in to an AIX box now and we need to do an audit on this box. cbssapr01:# pwd / Which command will show all the files and directories owned by root user with permissions as 777 ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with "A" then change "E" to "X" same line

I have a bunch of random character lines like ABCEDFG. I want to find all lines with "A" and then change any "E" to "X" in the same line. ALL lines with "A" will have an "X" somewhere in it. I have tried sed awk and vi editor. I get close, not quite there. I know someone has already solved this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightwatchrenba
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

find . -path "*_nobackup*" -prune -iname "*.PDF" \( ! -name "*_nobackup.*" \)

These three finds worked as expected: $ find . -iname "*.PDF" $ find . -iname "*.PDF" \( ! -name "*_nobackup.*" \) $ find . -path "*_nobackup*" -prune -iname "*.PDF" They all returned the match: ./folder/file.pdf :b: This find returned no matches: $ find . -path "*_nobackup*" -prune... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
3 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)