Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers PID -> User (I need to know the user of a PID) Post 37779 by oombera on Saturday 28th of June 2003 06:39:29 PM
Old 06-28-2003
You mean this?
Code:
$ ps --fields="user pid tty command"

USER    PID TT      COMMAND
userName  72966 tty10   ps.exe
userName 105867 tty10   ksh.exe

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

printing ppid,child pid,pid

question: for the below program i just printed the value for pid, child pid and parent pid why does it give me 6 values? i assume ppid is 28086 but can't figure out why there are 5 values printed instead of just two! can someone comment on that! #include<stdio.h> #define DIM 8 int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pid=0

What OS does not use PID=0? is it FreeBSD? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmajin
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting PID

Hi , I am trying to get the PID using the following command: $ /usr/ucb/ps -auwwwwx | grep java | grep Proceess | ptree PID or $ /usr/ucb/ps -auwwwwx | grep java | grep Proceess;ptree PID it is possible to get PID, such that I check whether any orphan process is running. solution... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Bhat
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Session PID & socket connection pid

1. If I use an software application(which connects to the database in the server) in my local pc, how many PID should be registered? Would there be PID for the session and another PID for socket connection? 2. I noticed (through netstat) that when I logged in using the my software application,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcx26
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KILL PID, intern should kill another PID.

Hi All, In my project i have two process runs in the back end. Once i start my project, and execute the command ps, i get below output: PID TTY TIME CMD 9086 pts/1 0:00 ksh 9241 pts/1 0:02 java 9240 pts/1 0:00 shell_script_bg java with 9241 PID is the main... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrgarlapati
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get pid

Hello people, This question might seem to be a little naive but here it goes: I want to know the PID of a script that is running in the background. eg: There is a script called Data_Downloader.sh I am using the command: ps -ef | grep Data_Downloader.sh But I am getting the output as wrkarea... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajat
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining if user is local-user in /etc/passwd or LDAP user

Besides doing some shell-script which loops through /etc/passwd, I was wondering if there was some command that would tell me, like an enhanced version of getent. The Operating system is Solaris 10 (recent-ish revision) using Sun DS for LDAP. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pid=$!

Hello, I would like to know what this command means? PID=$! what does "!" stand for? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: googlietdr
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to save a pid of a child started with $: su <user> -c “nohup …”

Hello, I want to save pid of a child process but I get empty file. su myuser -c "nohup ./mydaemon.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 & print $! > mydaemon.pid" This one works: nohup ./mydaemon.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 & print $! > mydaemon.pid Please help. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vincegata
2 Replies
ionice(1)						      General Commands Manual							 ionice(1)

NAME
ionice - get/set program io scheduling class and priority SYNOPSIS
ionice [[-c class] [-n classdata] [-t]] -p PID [PID]... ionice [-c class] [-n classdata] [-t] COMMAND [ARG]... DESCRIPTION
This program sets or gets the io scheduling class and priority for a program. If no arguments or just -p is given, ionice will query the current io scheduling class and priority for that process. As of this writing, a process can be in one of three scheduling classes: Idle A program running with idle io priority will only get disk time when no other program has asked for disk io for a defined grace period. The impact of idle io processes on normal system activity should be zero. This scheduling class does not take a priority argument. Presently, this scheduling class is permitted for an ordinary user (since kernel 2.6.25). Best effort This is the effective scheduling class for any process that has not asked for a specific io priority. This class takes a priority argument from 0-7, with lower number being higher priority. Programs running at the same best effort priority are served in a round- robin fashion. Note that before kernel 2.6.26 a process that has not asked for an io priority formally uses "none" as scheduling class, but the io scheduler will treat such processes as if it were in the best effort class. The priority within the best effort class will be dynam- ically derived from the cpu nice level of the process: io_priority = (cpu_nice + 20) / 5. For kernels after 2.6.26 with CFQ io scheduler a process that has not asked for an io priority inherits CPU scheduling class. The io priority is derived from the cpu nice level of the process (same as before kernel 2.6.26). Real time The RT scheduling class is given first access to the disk, regardless of what else is going on in the system. Thus the RT class needs to be used with some care, as it can starve other processes. As with the best effort class, 8 priority levels are defined denoting how big a time slice a given process will receive on each scheduling window. This scheduling class is not permitted for an ordinary (i.e., non-root) user. OPTIONS
-c class The scheduling class. 0 for none, 1 for real time, 2 for best-effort, 3 for idle. -n classdata The scheduling class data. This defines the class data, if the class accepts an argument. For real time and best-effort, 0-7 is valid data. -p pid Pass in process PID(s) to view or change already running processes. If this argument is not given, ionice will run the listed pro- gram with the given parameters. -t Ignore failure to set requested priority. If COMMAND or PID(s) is specified, run it even in case it was not possible to set desired scheduling priority, what can happen due to insufficient privilegies or old kernel version. EXAMPLES
# ionice -c 3 -p 89 Sets process with PID 89 as an idle io process. # ionice -c 2 -n 0 bash Runs 'bash' as a best-effort program with highest priority. # ionice -p 89 91 Prints the class and priority of the processes with PID 89 and 91. NOTES
Linux supports io scheduling priorities and classes since 2.6.13 with the CFQ io scheduler. AUTHORS
Jens Axboe <jens@axboe.dk> AVAILABILITY
The ionice command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. ionice August 2005 ionice(1)