Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers PID -> User (I need to know the user of a PID) Post 37778 by Kh@lid on Saturday 28th of June 2003 05:10:58 PM
Old 06-28-2003
Hi,

I mean the owner of the PID, or which domain or login (username) doing this process.

I hope you know what I mean.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

printing ppid,child pid,pid

question: for the below program i just printed the value for pid, child pid and parent pid why does it give me 6 values? i assume ppid is 28086 but can't figure out why there are 5 values printed instead of just two! can someone comment on that! #include<stdio.h> #define DIM 8 int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pid=0

What OS does not use PID=0? is it FreeBSD? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmajin
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting PID

Hi , I am trying to get the PID using the following command: $ /usr/ucb/ps -auwwwwx | grep java | grep Proceess | ptree PID or $ /usr/ucb/ps -auwwwwx | grep java | grep Proceess;ptree PID it is possible to get PID, such that I check whether any orphan process is running. solution... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Bhat
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Session PID & socket connection pid

1. If I use an software application(which connects to the database in the server) in my local pc, how many PID should be registered? Would there be PID for the session and another PID for socket connection? 2. I noticed (through netstat) that when I logged in using the my software application,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcx26
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KILL PID, intern should kill another PID.

Hi All, In my project i have two process runs in the back end. Once i start my project, and execute the command ps, i get below output: PID TTY TIME CMD 9086 pts/1 0:00 ksh 9241 pts/1 0:02 java 9240 pts/1 0:00 shell_script_bg java with 9241 PID is the main... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrgarlapati
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get pid

Hello people, This question might seem to be a little naive but here it goes: I want to know the PID of a script that is running in the background. eg: There is a script called Data_Downloader.sh I am using the command: ps -ef | grep Data_Downloader.sh But I am getting the output as wrkarea... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajat
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining if user is local-user in /etc/passwd or LDAP user

Besides doing some shell-script which loops through /etc/passwd, I was wondering if there was some command that would tell me, like an enhanced version of getent. The Operating system is Solaris 10 (recent-ish revision) using Sun DS for LDAP. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pid=$!

Hello, I would like to know what this command means? PID=$! what does "!" stand for? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: googlietdr
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to save a pid of a child started with $: su <user> -c “nohup …”

Hello, I want to save pid of a child process but I get empty file. su myuser -c "nohup ./mydaemon.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 & print $! > mydaemon.pid" This one works: nohup ./mydaemon.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 & print $! > mydaemon.pid Please help. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vincegata
2 Replies
SD_PID_GET_SESSION(3)						sd_pid_get_session					     SD_PID_GET_SESSION(3)

NAME
sd_pid_get_session, sd_pid_get_unit, sd_pid_get_owner_uid - Determine session, service or owner of a session of a specific PID SYNOPSIS
#include <systemd/sd-login.h> int sd_pid_get_session(pid_t pid, char** session); int sd_pid_get_unit(pid_t pid, char** unit); int sd_pid_get_owner_uid(pid_t pid, uid_t* uid); DESCRIPTION
sd_pid_get_session() may be used to determine the login session identifier of a process identified by the specified process identifier. The session identifier is a short string, suitable for usage in file system paths. Note that not all processes are part of a login session (e.g. system service processes, user processes that are shared between multiple sessions of the same user, or kernel threads). For processes not being part of a login session this function will fail. The returned string needs to be freed with the libc free(3) call after use. sd_pid_get_unit() may be used to determine the systemd unit (i.e. system service) identifier of a process identified by the specified process identifier. The unit name is a short string, suitable for usage in file system paths. Note that not all processes are part of a unit/service (e.g. user processes, or kernel threads). For processes not being part of a systemd unit/system service this function will fail. The returned string needs to be freed with the libc free(3) call after use. sd_pid_get_owner_uid() may be used to determine the Unix user identifier of the owner of the session of a process identified the specified PID. Note that this function will succeed for user processes which are shared between multiple login sessions of the same user, where sd_pid_get_session() will fail. For processes not being part of a login session and not being a shared process of a user this function will fail. If the pid paramater of any of these functions is passed as 0 the operation is executed for the calling process. RETURN VALUE
On success these calls return 0 or a positive integer. On failure, these calls return a negative errno-style error code. NOTES
The sd_pid_get_session(), sd_pid_get_pid(), and sd_pid_get_owner_uid() interfaces are available as shared library, which can be compiled and linked to with the libsystemd-login pkg-config(1) file. Note that the login session identifier as returned by sd_pid_get_session() is completely unrelated to the process session identifier as returned by getsid(2). SEE ALSO
systemd(1), sd-login(7), sd_session_is_active(3), getsid(2) AUTHOR
Lennart Poettering <lennart@poettering.net> Developer systemd 10/07/2013 SD_PID_GET_SESSION(3)