Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing Letters from Integer String Post 37118 by criglerj on Thursday 12th of June 2003 05:47:28 PM
Old 06-12-2003
Assuming sh, ksh, zsh (, bash?):
Code:
y=1024
z=1024Mb
sizey=`expr "$y" : '\([0-9][0-9]*\)'`
sizez=`expr "$z" : '\([0-9][0-9]*\)'`

$sizey and $sizez will now both be 1024.

Note that oombera's third solution depends on ksh.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Integer to String

Which function should I use to convert an Integer to a String or Char format ? Thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psilva
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if string contains integer

G'day guys, first post so be gentle. I need help with some code to work out if a variable (string) contains any integers. The valid variable (string) must contain only letters. Also need to be able to work out if a variable contains only integers. Any help greatly appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: haz
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing string and integer in IF

hi, I need to create an IF condition. I read a line from a file and get the 5 word using space as a delimited. This word can have only two values either '*' or '1-5' I need to write an IF condition for two cases. I can either compare it to * or 1-5(or even 1 by cutting and getting only the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushys
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

integer to string

Hi all, is there an easy way to convert integer to string in bash? I have numbers like 1, 2, ..., 112, ... and I would like to get 001 002 003 004 ... Thank you, Sarah (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare string integer with an integer?

hi, how to I do this? i="4.000" if ; then echo "smaller" fi how do I convert the "4.000" to 4? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
4 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

passing letters from an array into a string for string comparison

attempting the hangman program. This was an optional assignment from the professor. I have completed the logical coding, debugging now. ##I have an array $wordString that initializes to a string of dashes ##reflecting the number of letters in $theWord ##every time the user enters a (valid)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lotsofideas
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking subset and removing extra letters

In each line of file, I wish to check if word1 is a non-connected subset of any of the other words in the line. If yes, keep only the words that ward1 is a subset of. Else, remove the whole line. Also, I want to remove the letters that word1 doesn't match with, except for "_+" Example file:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viernes
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : match only the pattern string , not letters or numbers after that.

Hi Experts, I am finding difficulty to get exact match: file OPERATING_SYSTEM=HP-UX LOOPBACK_ADDRESS=127.0.0.1 INTERFACE_NAME="lan3" IP_ADDRESS="10.53.52.241" SUBNET_MASK="255.255.255.192" BROADCAST_ADDRESS="" INTERFACE_STATE="" DHCP_ENABLE=0 INTERFACE_NAME="lan3:1"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String to integer

I am on HP-UX using ksh in the script. MaxSal=`sqlplus -silent /nolog <<EOF connect / as sysdba whenever sqlerror exit sql.sqlcode set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off select max(sal) from emp1; select max(sal) from emp2; select max(sal) from emp3; exit; EOF`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bang_dba
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Removing letters after a certain character within a range of columns

Hi there, I am trying to remove al letters after : character on specific columns from 10th column till 827. I used sed and cut to do so but I am sure there is better one liner someone can think of from unix community members. Huge file but it has this structure (Total number of Columns =... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: daashti
10 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2004 getusershell(3C)