Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Kernal Panic
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Kernal Panic Post 36975 by RTM on Monday 9th of June 2003 10:37:02 AM
Old 06-09-2003
Here is a link on Kernel Panics -

Your system attempted to do a dump of memory into a core file - the space you have allocated for this was not big enough to save it all. You should read the information in the link and then figure out where you might be able to create enough space (different for what OS you are running).

Please post the OS and version and any other information you might have. Once you have the space to save the dumps, you will have to wait until it happens again to get better information on what to do. I don't know if folks on this site can help with reading your core dump but I'm sure they will have more suggestions for you.

Getting your system up to the latest patch level might help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kernal log message

Hi all, we have been noticed that few of processes failed with no reason. when I chcked the log messages, I have got the following error messages writen to ktlog just a few minutes before! When the kernel writes such warning meassages? will the system sends/generates any signals like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reddyb
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

kernal parameters on Linux 7.3

Hi all, I am running 7.3 Redhat Linux, I have Oracle database running on it and I have some problem with the memory. every time I startup the database, the memory was peak up to 630M of Ram out 640M ram on the entire box and I didn't specify that much of memory on my database. Oracle advise me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lapnguyen
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does the Kernal schedules Tasks?

hello all, as we know that the kernal Schedules tasks with some time slice given to each. how does the Kernal know that the time of a Task has been elapsed? does it follow the syatem Clock?or how? thanks for your time (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernal Information

Hi friends, i would like to know the kernal information (semaphores), which command do i use Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaan_dmp
4 Replies

5. Linux

Kernal panic error& setuproot:error mounting /proc&/sys

Hi all, I am new to redhat/fedora linux. In fedora linux 6,we created one file system(hda3 - /fs). in this mount poing we were installed mounta vista os. while booting we are getting below error messages. 1) Booting 'mountaVisat(2.6.18_pro 500_pc_target-x86_586 smp)' root(hd0,1)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjunreddy3
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Panic kernal-mode address fault on user address 0x14

:) Firstly Hi all!!, im NEW!! and on here hoping that someone might be able to offer me some help... i have a server that keeps crashing every few days with the error message: PANIC KERNAL-MODE ADDRESS FAULT ON USER ADDRESS 0X14 KERNAL PAGE FAULT FROM (CS:EIP)=(100:EF71B5BD) EAX=EF822000... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twix
10 Replies

7. Solaris

kernal parameter setting

hi, can anybody tell me how to increase the parameters like project.max-shm-ids on solaris10. i have used prctl, but got reset while server reboot. thnks and regards Ajay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
1 Replies

8. SCO

Kernal Panic questions

I am trying to restore Unixware 7.1 from a backup using RestoreEdge which is from Microline version 2. The restore is on another machine using the same RAID controller and TBU. We are retiring the other machine. Anyway, we get to disk #2 and it panics. Here is the Pic. Can anyone tell me... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccd1977
13 Replies

9. Solaris

Kernal Parameters

Hi, Can you please let me know about kernal parameters? Where we can see that kernal parameters? we are using System = SunOS 5.10. Please let me know commands to see these kernal parameters file or files. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kancherla.sree
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Error: kernal panic not syncing

HI All, server stopped here, we are suspecting server crash, need install new OS. Any suggestions on this. kindly help to us. Thanks Rajesh (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh_Apple
0 Replies
SAVECORE(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       SAVECORE(8)

NAME
savecore -- save a core dump of the operating system SYNOPSIS
savecore [-fvz] [-N system] [-Z level] [directory] savecore -c [-v] [-N system] savecore -n [-v] [-N system] DESCRIPTION
When the NetBSD kernel encounters a fatal error, the panic(9) routine arranges for a snapshot of the contents of physical memory to be writ- ten into a dump area, typically in the swap partition. Upon a subsequent reboot, savecore is typically run out of rc(8), before swapping is enabled, to copy the kernel and the saved memory image into directory, and enters a reboot message and information about the core dump into the system log. If a directory is not specified, then /var/crash is used. The kernel and core file can then be analyzed using various tools, including crash(8), dmesg(8), fstat(1), gdb(1), iostat(8), netstat(1), ps(1), and pstat(8), to attempt to deduce the cause of the crash. Crashes are usually the result of hardware faults or kernel bugs. If a kernel bug is suspected, a full bug report should be filed at http://www.netbsd.org/, or using send-pr(1), containing as much information as possible about the circumstances of the crash. Since crash dumps are typically very large and may contain whatever (potentially confidential) information was in memory at the time of the crash, do NOT include a copy of the crash dump file in the bug report; instead, save it somewhere in the event that a NetBSD developer wants to examine it. The options are as follows: -c Only clears the dump without saving it, so that future invocations of savecore will ignore it. -f Forces a dump to be taken even if the dump doesn't appear correct or there is insufficient disk space. -n Check whether a dump is present without taking further action. The command exits with zero status if a dump is present, or with non-zero status otherwise. -N Use system as the kernel instead of the default (returned by getbootfile(3)). Note that getbootfile(3) uses secure_path(3) to check that kernel file is ``secure'' and will default to /netbsd if the check fails. -v Prints out some additional debugging information. -z Compresses the core dump and kernel (see gzip(1)). -Z level Set the compression level for -z to level. Defaults to 1 (the fastest compression mode). Refer to gzip(1) for more information regarding the compression level. savecore checks the core dump in various ways to make sure that it is current and that it corresponds to the currently running system. If it passes these checks, it saves the core image in directory/netbsd.#.core and the system in directory/netbsd.# (or in directory/netbsd.#.core.gz and directory/netbsd.#.gz, respectively, if the -z option is used). The ``#'' is the number from the first line of the file directory/bounds, and it is incremented and stored back into the file each time savecore successfully runs. savecore also checks the available disk space before attempting to make the copies. If there is insufficient disk space in the file system containing directory, or if the file directory/minfree exists and the number of free kilobytes (for non-superusers) in the file system after the copies were made would be less than the number in the first line of this file, the copies are not attempted. If savecore successfully copies the kernel and the core dump, the core dump is cleared so that future invocations of savecore will ignore it. SEE ALSO
fstat(1), gdb(1), gzip(1), netstat(1), ps(1), send-pr(1), crash(8), dmesg(8), iostat(8), pstat(8), rc(8), syslogd(8), panic(9) HISTORY
The savecore command appeared in 4.1BSD. BUGS
The minfree code does not consider the effect of compression. BSD
September 13, 2011 BSD