Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hup
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hup Post 3667 by Optimus_P on Monday 9th of July 2001 11:40:19 AM
Old 07-09-2001
It restarts the process from the begging (reloading any config files it uses)

Code:
/HUP
...skipping
     name. There is no default. Typing kill  does not send a sig-
     nal  to  the  current  job. If the signal being sent is TERM
     (terminate) or HUP (hangup), then the job or process is sent
     a CONT (continue) signal as well.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

samba, swat. how to send a HUP to inetd ?

solaris can't support pkill command:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cloudsmell
2 Replies

2. Linux

syslog hup

Hi All, I modified /etc/syslog.conf and execute kill -HUP syslogd_PID. There's nothing changes on the PID when I did ps -ef|grep syslogd. It's the same. Do you think it restarted the process of syslogd? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Trapped Signal HUP

We encountered an issue in our project while using the Interix UNIX (SFU 3.5) and explained our query below. We would be happy if anybody helps us to troubleshoot the problem J In our code the trapping signal for all signals like HUP, INT, QUIT, ILL, TRAP, ABRT, EXCEPT, etc., is initialized in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAMESHPRABUDASS
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with HUP and SEGV.

Hello - I need to know the detail of HUP and SEGV. I know HUP is Hangup and can be use to kill a Unix login session remotely by sending a hangup signal to the process running the login session. Could someone tell me in detail prupose of HUP and SEGV (segmentation violation)? I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: namasteall2000
1 Replies

5. Solaris

sudo for permission kill -HUP

Hi, I'm trying to provide "/usr/bin/kill -HUP" command to one of the user using sudo file. I have configured sudo as following: $cat /etc/sudoers User_Alias AA=conadmin Cmnd_Alias KILL1=/usr/bin/kill -HUPAA ALL=NOPASSWD:KILL1 When I login as the user and execute 'sudo -l' command, it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohzub
2 Replies
KILL(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           KILL(1)

NAME
kill - send a signal to a process SYNOPSIS
kill [options] <pid> [...] DESCRIPTION
The default signal for kill is TERM. Use -l or -L to list available signals. Particularly useful signals include HUP, INT, KILL, STOP, CONT, and 0. Alternate signals may be specified in three ways: -9, -SIGKILL or -KILL. Negative PID values may be used to choose whole process groups; see the PGID column in ps command output. A PID of -1 is special; it indicates all processes except the kill process itself and init. OPTIONS
<pid> [...] Send signal to every <pid> listed. -<signal> -s <signal> --signal <signal> Specify the signal to be sent. The signal can be specified by using name or number. The behavior of signals is explained in sig- nal(7) manual page. -l, --list [signal] List signal names. This option has optional argument, which will convert signal number to signal name, or other way round. -L, --table List signal names in a nice table. NOTES Your shell (command line interpreter) may have a built-in kill command. You may need to run the command described here as /bin/kill to solve the conflict. EXAMPLES
kill -9 -1 Kill all processes you can kill. kill -l 11 Translate number 11 into a signal name. kill -L List the available signal choices in a nice table. kill 123 543 2341 3453 Send the default signal, SIGTERM, to all those processes. SEE ALSO
kill(2), killall(1), nice(1), pkill(1), renice(1), signal(7), skill(1) STANDARDS
This command meets appropriate standards. The -L flag is Linux-specific. AUTHOR
Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> wrote kill in 1999 to replace a bsdutils one that was not standards compliant. The util-linux one might also work correctly. REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng October 2011 KILL(1)