Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NIS group vs local group
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers NIS group vs local group Post 36020 by RTM on Monday 19th of May 2003 09:54:01 AM
Old 05-19-2003
Well, I don't have a Tru64 system to play with and it's been years since I've been on one. I was hoping someone with recent experience was going to comment.

It should work the same as explained for Solaris. I don't know which file you use for telling the system to look at files first or dns (or if Tru64 does that at all - check the /etc/svc.conf file). If you don't get an answer, the next best thing is to check out the Tru64 Online docs .

Last edited by RTM; 05-19-2003 at 11:01 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

make issue when I add some members into a NIS group on solaris 9,please help !!

Hello Sir, I want to add some members into a group on NIS domain, but when I run "/usr/ccs/bin/make group" to update the group map it was failed :-( the error message is : problem storing develop... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lk74612
4 Replies

2. Solaris

How can i allow only a group of users in NIS?

Hello experts. I am using Solaris10. How can i allow a group of users, remaining should be deny. Thanx in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: younus_syed
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS Group, Netgroup

Hi all, Is there a way for me to know the NIS group and Netgroup my UNIX account? Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: risk_sly
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge group numbers and add a column containing group names

I have a file in the following format. Groups of data merge together and the group number is indicated above each group. 1 adrf dfgr dfg 2 dfgr dfgr 3 dfef dfr fd 4 fgrt fgr fgg 5 fgrt fgr (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge group numbers and add a column containing group names

Hi All I do have a file like this with 6 columns. Groups of data merge together and the group number is indicated above each group. 1 1 12 26 289 3.2e-027 GCGTATGGCGGC 2 12 26 215 6.7e+006 TTCCACCTTTTG 3 9 26 175 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS Group Lookup Problem

I'm running a NIS on an network of Ubuntu 8.04 linux systems. I'm seeing a weird problem where the 'id' command is not returning all the groups I am a member of. For example: alex@client $ id -Gn localgroupA localgroupB nisgroup1 nisgroup2 nisgroup4 alex@client $ id -Gn alex nisgroup1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo23
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort the file contents in each group....print the group title as well

I've this file and need to sort the data in each group File would look like this ... cat file1.txt Reason : ABC 12345-0023 32123-5400 32442-5333 Reason : DEF 42523-3453 23345-3311 Reason : HIJ 454553-0001 I would like to sort each group on the last 4 fileds and print them... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash184u
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS user in local group

I have root access on a linux (RH5.4) server within an NIS setup that I don't control. I have an NIS account that creates directories on my local node that I want to be writable by my local apache account. The NIS account is only a member of the "users" group and the local apache account is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clindseysmith
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a one liner to grep a group info from /etc/group and use that result to search passwd file

/etc/group tiadm::345:mk789,po312,jo343,ju454,ko453,yx879,iy345,hn453 bin::2:root,daemon sys::3:root,bin,adm adm::4:root,daemon uucp::5:root /etc/passwd mk789:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh po312:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh ju454:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies
logger(1)						      General Commands Manual							 logger(1)

NAME
logger - Makes entries in the system log SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/logger [-f file] [-i] [-p[facility.]priority] [-t tag] [message...] logger [-b] [message...] STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: logger: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] Logs the informational message to the binary event logger instead of the syslog() subroutine and enters information in the binary event log file. The uerf command with the -r 250 option reports the informational messages that are in the binary event log file, which is used for system maintenance and troubleshooting. The -b option cannot be used with any other options. [Tru64 UNIX] Logs all lines in file. [Tru64 UNIX] Logs the process ID (PID) of the logger process with each line. [Tru64 UNIX] Enters the message with the specified priority and, if specified, from the specified facility. [Tru64 UNIX] You can specify priority as either an alphabetic string or its integer equivalent. You can specify the following val- ues for the priority variable: [Tru64 UNIX] (0) [Tru64 UNIX] The system is unusable. (0) [Tru64 UNIX] Action must be taken imme- diately. (1) [Tru64 UNIX] Critical conditions. (2) [Tru64 UNIX] Error conditions. (3) [Tru64 UNIX] (3) [Tru64 UNIX] (4) [Tru64 UNIX] Warning conditions. (4) [Tru64 UNIX] Normal but significant condition. (5) [Tru64 UNIX] Informational. (6) [Tru64 UNIX] Debug-level messages. (7) [Tru64 UNIX] You can also specify a value for the facility variable, which indicates the source of the event. You can specify facility as either an alphabetic string or its integer equivalent. The integer values appear in parentheses. You can specify the following values for the facility variable: [Tru64 UNIX] Kernel messages. (0) [Tru64 UNIX] Random user-level messages. (8) [Tru64 UNIX] Mail system. (16) [Tru64 UNIX] System daemons. (24) [Tru64 UNIX] Security/authorization messages. (32) [Tru64 UNIX] (32) [Tru64 UNIX] Messages syslogd generates internally. (40) [Tru64 UNIX] Line printer subsystem. (48) [Tru64 UNIX] Network news subsystem. (56) [Tru64 UNIX] UUCP subsystem. (64) [Tru64 UNIX] Clock daemon. (72) [Tru64 UNIX] (128) [Tru64 UNIX] (136) [Tru64 UNIX] (144) [Tru64 UNIX] (152) [Tru64 UNIX] (160) [Tru64 UNIX] (168) [Tru64 UNIX] (176) [Tru64 UNIX] (184) [Tru64 UNIX] Precedes each entry in the log with tag. OPERANDS
You can specify the message to be used for entries on the command line or with the -f file option, which specifies that each line in file be logged as an entry. If you do not specify message or -f, logger reads standard input. DESCRIPTION
The logger command makes the specified entries in the system log file. The logger command provides a program and shell script interface to the syslog() subroutine. The file in which entries are made depends on the current system log configuration; see syslog and syslogd for more information. NOTES
The effects of the environment variable LC_MESSAGES apply only to diagnostic messages generated by logger, and not to any messages written by the use of the command. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To log the system reboot, including the process ID of the process running logger, enter: logger -i System rebooted To log each line in the file build.events with the tag trial build preceding them, enter: logger -f build.events -t "trial build" The following commands are equiv- alent and enter events of warning priority to the log: logger -p warning logger -p 4 The following commands are equivalent and enter events from the daemon facility of warning priority: logger -p daemon.warning logger -p 24.4 To specify the debug priority with a priority name, enter: logger -p debug my message To specify the debug priority with a priority number, enter: logger -p 7 my message To specify both debug priority and the user facility, enter: logger -p user.debug my message To specify the same facility/priority pair using numeric values, enter: logger -p 8.7 my message You can also combine alphabetic and numeric specifications: logger -p user.7 my message logger -p 8.debug my message ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of logger: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization variables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multi-byte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: binlogd(8), syslogd(8), uerf(8) Functions: syslog(3) Standards: standards(5) logger(1)