Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Static IP
Special Forums IP Networking Static IP Post 35995 by norsk hedensk on Sunday 18th of May 2003 06:52:50 PM
Old 05-18-2003
thats what i ment, though i think i didnt express my thoughts well. i do the same thing at home, the dhcp server will give out address in the 192.168.1.100/150 range, the desktop machines use dhcp and my web and mail server are assigned static addresses, the way i did it was just to go from 192.168.1.2 and on.

i was wrong about not being able to assign addresses within that range, ( the amount of IPs the dhcp server is set to give out.)
and as neo said , assign them outside of the normal range.

to make it simple, you can assign a static ip to a client, as long as that ip is not in use by another dhcp client.

sorry, the mistake was confusion on my part.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Static

What does this command exactly do cc -static example.c (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
6 Replies

2. IP Networking

static route ?

Hi, I have a machine that sits on 10.2 network. I need to ssh from this to another box that is on both 10.125 & 10.140 VLANs what should I need to do? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Static Route

Hi, Request you to please tell me the command or the process to add the static route in redhat linux. Thanks in Advance. Regards Arun (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun.Kakarla
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to static the average value

Hi all, Sorry I make a mistake,the title should be "How to statistic the average value " I do five times about "mv 123 to 456" and do five times about "mv 456 to 123" As we know,"time" can get the real usr sys value, I want to get the average real,usr,sys of "mv 123 to 456" and "mv 456 to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
4 Replies

5. IP Networking

I need HELP to Set up Coyote Linux router with 1 static IP & 64 internal static IP

hello, i need help on setting my coyote linux, i've working on this for last 5 days, can't get it to work. I've been posting this message to coyote forum, and other linux forum, but haven't get any answer yet. Hope someone here can help me...... please see my attached picture first. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlwoaud
0 Replies

6. Linux

Could static library include static library?

I have some static library(libxxx.a libyyy.a). And I want to generate my library(libzzz.a), libzzz.a will use libxxx.a and libyyy.a I wan't my application only use libzzz.a, (means libzzz.a had include libxxx.a, libyyy.a), how can I do that? Thank you. example: I have zzz.c. I do ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: freemagic
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to tell if i am using DHCP or Static

Hey guys , YEs this is probably silly for most but i am new to this forum and solaris . i am curious to know if the ip address we have for our solaris server is static or dhcp . how can i tell ? will ifconfig -a tell me this ? or other commands? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xdrivex
1 Replies

8. Programming

Even the Static cURL Library Isn't Static

I'm writing a program which uses curl to be run on Linux PCs which will be used by a number of different users. I cannot make the users all install curl on their individual machines, so I have tried to link curl in statically, rather than using libcurl.so. I downloaded the source and created a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrandonShw
8 Replies

9. Programming

Static variables in C++

Are the following equivalent? static int df, dl, du, count; static int df; static int dl; static int du; static int count; (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies

10. Solaris

Have a static IP for net0

Hi, Here is what I get within Solaris. huamin@SOL11I:~$ ifconfig -a lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000 net0: flags=1004843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,DHCP,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2 inet 0.0.0.0 netmask... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: HuaMin
24 Replies
SHOREWALL-EXCLUSION(5)						  [FIXME: manual]					    SHOREWALL-EXCLUSION(5)

NAME
exclusion - Exclude a set of hosts from a definition in a shorewall configuration file. SYNOPSIS
!address-or-range[,address-or-range]... !zone-name[,zone-name]... DESCRIPTION
The first form of exclusion is used when you wish to exclude one or more addresses from a definition. An exclaimation point is followed by a comma-separated list of addresses. The addresses may be single host addresses (e.g., 192.168.1.4) or they may be network addresses in CIDR format (e.g., 192.168.1.0/24). If your kernel and iptables include iprange support, you may also specify ranges of ip addresses of the form lowaddress-highaddress No embedded whitespace is allowed. Exclusion can appear after a list of addresses and/or address ranges. In that case, the final list of address is formed by taking the first list and then removing the addresses defined in the exclusion. Beginning in Shorewall 4.4.13, the second form of exclusion is allowed after all and any in the SOURCE and DEST columns of /etc/shorewall/rules. It allows you to omit arbitrary zones from the list generated by those key words. Warning If you omit a sub-zone and there is an explicit or explicit CONTINUE policy, a connection to/from that zone can still be matched by the rule generated for a parent zone. For example: /etc/shorewall/zones: #ZONE TYPE z1 ip z2:z1 ip ... /etc/shorewall/policy: #SOURCE DEST POLICY z1 net CONTINUE z2 net REJECT /etc/shorewall/rules: #ACTION SOURCE DEST PROTO DEST # PORT(S) ACCEPT all!z2 net tcp 22 In this case, SSH connections from z2 to net will be accepted by the generated z1 to net ACCEPT rule. In most contexts, ipset names can be used as an address-or-range. Beginning with Shorewall 4.4.14, ipset lists enclosed in +[...] may also be included (see shorewall-ipsets[1] (5)). The semantics of these lists when used in an exclusion are as follows: o !+[set1,set2,...setN] produces a packet match if the packet does not match at least one of the sets. In other words, it is like NOT match set1 OR NOT match set2 ... OR NOT match setN. o +[!set1,!set2,...!setN] produces a packet match if the packet does not match any of the sets. In other words, it is like NOT match set1 AND NOT match set2 ... AND NOT match setN. EXAMPLES
Example 1 - All IPv4 addresses except 192.168.3.4 !192.168.3.4 Example 2 - All IPv4 addresses except the network 192.168.1.0/24 and the host 10.2.3.4 !192.168.1.0/24,10.1.3.4 Example 3 - All IPv4 addresses except the range 192.168.1.3-192.168.1.12 and the network 10.0.0.0/8 !192.168.1.3-192.168.1.12,10.0.0.0/8 Example 4 - The network 192.168.1.0/24 except hosts 192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.9 192.168.1.0/24!192.168.1.3,192.168.1.9 Example 5 - All parent zones except loc any!loc FILES
/etc/shorewall/hosts /etc/shorewall/masq /etc/shorewall/rules /etc/shorewall/tcrules SEE ALSO
shorewall(8), shorewall-accounting(5), shorewall-actions(5), shorewall-blacklist(5), shorewall-hosts(5), shorewall_interfaces(5), shorewall-ipsets(5), shorewall-maclist(5), shorewall-masq(5), shorewall-nat(5), shorewall-netmap(5), shorewall-params(5), shorewall-policy(5), shorewall-providers(5), shorewall-proxyarp(5), shorewall-rtrules(5), shorewall-routestopped(5), shorewall-rules(5), shorewall.conf(5), shorewall-secmarks(5), shorewall-tcclasses(5), shorewall-tcdevices(5), shorewall-tcrules(5), shorewall-tos(5), shorewall-tunnels(5), shorewall-zones(5) NOTES
1. shorewall-ipsets http://www.shorewall.net/manpages/shorewall-ipsets.html [FIXME: source] 06/28/2012 SHOREWALL-EXCLUSION(5)