Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix on Intel?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix on Intel? Post 3598 by Andy Hibbins on Friday 6th of July 2001 06:00:53 PM
Old 07-06-2001
There's also:

FreeBSD www.freebsd.org
NetBSD www.netbsd.org
OpenBSD www.openbsd.org
Linux Mandrake www.linux-mandrake.com
Turbo Linux www.turbolinux.com
Suse www.suse.com

Linux-mandrake is a good choice if you're just converting from windows as it provides a good GUI installer and alot of GUI apps to administer the OS.

the *BSDs are known for being very stable, even more so than linux, however they tend to be harder to administer for newbies as they don't have the fancy GUI apps.

Andy Hibbins Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Intel vs. RISC

I am in the process of starting to learn Unix. What is the major difference in the platforms/hardware? Would it be adventageous for me to start working with a cheap Sparc machine or should I just use my Intel machine to start learning? Any help would be appreciated. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: amucci
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris8(intel)

I have just recently installed solaris8 on my box, and got two minor problems: Based on the size of partitions i should have approx 10gigs of mem., but the system registeres 0 space available on my harddrive....That problem results in a slight inability to install any apps... The second problem is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diesel
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Li/Unix download for Intel

Can somebody please point me to a site (more preferably the link) where I can download the Li/Unix OS for an Intel Processor. I am relatively new to unix and would like to give it a go. I am not sure where to start and hopefully a link straight to the "goods" would be a great way to start. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cantcatchme
2 Replies

4. Programming

Where can I get sun for intel?

:confused: I wanted to get Sun Solaris 9 for NT. I went on the SUn.com site but I couldnt exactly locate the link. Anyone has an idea? thanks Jigar (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX for Intel PC

Where can I download Solaris for Intel PIII platform. I'm trying to learn Unix at home, I have a spare PC and just need to get the OS? I'm an absolute nubie, so maybe this post doesn't even make sense? I tried looking at the Sun site and didn't see anything listed for download (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wpblencowe
1 Replies

6. AIX

Intel Processor

hello World I Hope to know Why AIX don't Run under INTEL Processor ?? If Any Project Is expected to make AiX to run Under INTEL Processor ??? Thank you ALL (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mktahar
3 Replies

7. Solaris

solaries on intel ?

Hi, Can we install solaries in regular intel pc? Or we should use sun machine? Please let me know. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
3 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

dos/intel unix command equivalent

In Unix I can use command line to do a find for files older than so many days and remove them. I can also capture the date to see if its a saturday and do something different. Are there any dos/intel command line equivalent commands to do this on a windows 2003 server? This is from an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing unix/linux on HP(INTEL INSIDE) LAPTOP.

Please inform me on how to install unix/Linus on hp(Intel inside) lap top computer, with windows xp inside. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: princektwo
2 Replies
installer(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     installer(1M)

NAME
installer - Solaris Web Start installer utility SYNOPSIS
installer [-locales list] [-nodisplay] [-noconsole] [-debug] DESCRIPTION
The installer utility invokes a Web Start install wizard sequence which will lead the user through a sequence of installation panels. This installer utility is found on many CDs that are shipped with Solaris and it will be found among the top level files of these CDs. When the installer is on a CD being accessed from a desktop file manager, the installer can be double clicked to start the installation sequence. If the user is not currently the system's root user, the root user password will be requested. The installer utility can also be run from other UNIX scripts. Usually, a script is used in conjunction with the utility's -nodis- play option. Add the -noconsole option for non-interactive scripts. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -locales list Selects product translations for install, corresponding to the specified list of locales if the specified locale transla- tions are present on the installation media. Locales are supplied in a comma-separated list following the -locales option. An example list would appear as follows: installer -locales fr,de,it This would install products with translations for the French, German, and Italian locales. -nodisplay Runs the install without a graphical user interface. Use the default product install unless it was modified by the -locales options. -noconsole Run the install without any interactive text console device. Useful when paired with -nodisplay for non-interactive UNIX script use. -debug Outputs extra information about what the install is doing. Mainly for install diagnostic purposes. FILES
/var/sadm/install/logs location of installation log files SEE ALSO
prodreg(1M) SunOS 5.10 11 December 2001 installer(1M)