Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix on Intel?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix on Intel? Post 3598 by Andy Hibbins on Friday 6th of July 2001 06:00:53 PM
Old 07-06-2001
There's also:

FreeBSD www.freebsd.org
NetBSD www.netbsd.org
OpenBSD www.openbsd.org
Linux Mandrake www.linux-mandrake.com
Turbo Linux www.turbolinux.com
Suse www.suse.com

Linux-mandrake is a good choice if you're just converting from windows as it provides a good GUI installer and alot of GUI apps to administer the OS.

the *BSDs are known for being very stable, even more so than linux, however they tend to be harder to administer for newbies as they don't have the fancy GUI apps.

Andy Hibbins Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Intel vs. RISC

I am in the process of starting to learn Unix. What is the major difference in the platforms/hardware? Would it be adventageous for me to start working with a cheap Sparc machine or should I just use my Intel machine to start learning? Any help would be appreciated. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: amucci
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris8(intel)

I have just recently installed solaris8 on my box, and got two minor problems: Based on the size of partitions i should have approx 10gigs of mem., but the system registeres 0 space available on my harddrive....That problem results in a slight inability to install any apps... The second problem is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diesel
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Li/Unix download for Intel

Can somebody please point me to a site (more preferably the link) where I can download the Li/Unix OS for an Intel Processor. I am relatively new to unix and would like to give it a go. I am not sure where to start and hopefully a link straight to the "goods" would be a great way to start. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cantcatchme
2 Replies

4. Programming

Where can I get sun for intel?

:confused: I wanted to get Sun Solaris 9 for NT. I went on the SUn.com site but I couldnt exactly locate the link. Anyone has an idea? thanks Jigar (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX for Intel PC

Where can I download Solaris for Intel PIII platform. I'm trying to learn Unix at home, I have a spare PC and just need to get the OS? I'm an absolute nubie, so maybe this post doesn't even make sense? I tried looking at the Sun site and didn't see anything listed for download (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wpblencowe
1 Replies

6. AIX

Intel Processor

hello World I Hope to know Why AIX don't Run under INTEL Processor ?? If Any Project Is expected to make AiX to run Under INTEL Processor ??? Thank you ALL (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mktahar
3 Replies

7. Solaris

solaries on intel ?

Hi, Can we install solaries in regular intel pc? Or we should use sun machine? Please let me know. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
3 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

dos/intel unix command equivalent

In Unix I can use command line to do a find for files older than so many days and remove them. I can also capture the date to see if its a saturday and do something different. Are there any dos/intel command line equivalent commands to do this on a windows 2003 server? This is from an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing unix/linux on HP(INTEL INSIDE) LAPTOP.

Please inform me on how to install unix/Linus on hp(Intel inside) lap top computer, with windows xp inside. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: princektwo
2 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences exist compared to the "URI" class interface: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclass of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs. o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path: same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc: same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery: same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components: same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters) o $url->params and $url->eparams methods o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag: same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords: same as $uri->query_keywords o $url->localpath and friends map to $uri->file. o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr: same as $uri->to for mailto URI o $url->groupart method for news URI o $url->article: same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.18.2 2012-02-11 URI::URL(3)