Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Print command in linux
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print command in linux Post 35565 by kymberm on Thursday 17th of April 2003 03:38:43 PM
Old 04-17-2003
Print command in linux

What is the equivalent of print for linux scripts? I've scripted in unix, but went to try and do a script in linux, red hat 6.2, and it said print command not found.

i.e.:

print 'Enter answer'
read answer
etc.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to print screen in linux

Hi All, Perhaps a dumb question, but how do you do a "print screen" within the X-Window in linux. I'm running KDE, is there a utility I can use in that package that I'm not aware of. Or, is there a way to turn on the <alt><print-screen> function with the keyboard? Thanks in advance. VJ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vancouver_joe
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get/print the lines from a specified file ? (LINUX)

It my first post here . I just want to get the content of the file as values for printinting along with line number in LINUX Here is what I tried . $ cat test1.txt ABC DSF GHI JKL MNO PQR STU VWX YZO $ cat test.sh #!/bin/ksh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajavu
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

how to print date/cal in /etc/motd on linux server

helo i want to show today date and calendar when v succesfuly login on the system on the linux server please orovide the sol for the same thanx :):):) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dodasajan
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Print server Migration from AIX to Linux

Hi, Can anyone help me on migration the print server from AIX to RHEL 4? Appreciate your help? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brby07
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print only number using awk command in Linux ?

Now I'm trying summary sar data. CPU , Memory , Traffic , TPS (Min Max value) CPU is okay using below command. $ sar -p | awk '{gsub(//,"")}1' | awk 'BEGIN {min=1000000; max=0;};\ { if($7<min && $7 != "") min = $7; if($7>max && $7 != "") max = $7; } END {print min, max}' 98.93 99.55 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tom8254
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple sed command not working; could be a Mac/Linux vs. PC/Linux issue

Hello, I am on a Mac and trying to clean up some monthly files with a very simple SED: sed '3,10d;/<ACROSS>/,$d' input.txt > output.txt (from the input, delete lines 3 - 10; then delete from the line containing <ACROSS> to the end of the file) then output to output.txt Even when I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbatim
2 Replies
FLOCK(1)							  H. Peter Anvin							  FLOCK(1)

NAME
flock - Manage locks from shell scripts SYNOPSIS
flock [-sxon] [-w timeout] lockfile [-c] command... flock [-sxon] [-w timeout] lockdir [-c] command... flock [-sxun] [-w timeout] fd DESCRIPTION
This utility manages flock(2) locks from within shell scripts or the command line. The first and second forms wraps the lock around the executing a command, in a manner similar to su(1) or newgrp(1). It locks a specified file or directory, which is created (assuming appropriate permissions), if it does not already exist. The third form is convenient inside shell scripts, and is usually used the following manner: ( flock -s 200 # ... commands executed under lock ... ) 200>/var/lock/mylockfile The mode used to open the file doesn't matter to flock; using > or >> allows the lockfile to be created if it does not already exist, how- ever, write permission is required; using < requires that the file already exists but only read permission is required. By default, if the lock cannot be immediately acquired, flock waits until the lock is available. OPTIONS
-s, --shared Obtain a shared lock, sometimes called a read lock. -x, -e, --exclusive Obtain an exclusive lock, sometimes called a write lock. This is the default. -u, --unlock Drop a lock. This is usually not required, since a lock is automatically dropped when the file is closed. However, it may be required in special cases, for example if the enclosed command group may have forked a background process which should not be hold- ing the lock. -n, --nb, --nonblock Fail (with an exit code of 1) rather than wait if the lock cannot be immediately acquired. -w, --wait, --timeout seconds Fail (with an exit code of 1) if the lock cannot be acquired within seconds seconds. Decimal fractional values are allowed. -o, --close Close the file descriptor on which the lock is held before executing command. This is useful if command spawns a child process which should not be hold ing the lock. -c, --command command Pass a single command to the shell with -c. -h, --help Print a help message. AUTHOR
Written by H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2006 H. Peter Anvin. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
flock(2) AVAILABILITY
The flock command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. flock utility 4 Feb 2006 FLOCK(1)