Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PERL: how to tell if variable is NULL Post 34879 by oombera on Wednesday 19th of March 2003 12:34:40 PM
Old 03-19-2003
Oh that's pretty cool - I don't really like $str eq '' anyway.. i like a more concrete test like isnull(xxx) or something where you can look at it and right away you know what it's testing for.

Code:
my ($some);
$some = "";
if (defined($some)) {
 print "defined";
} else {
 print "not defined";
}

If you remove [$some = "";] you'll see "not defined" instead of "defined".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to filter a null variable.

I have the necessity to use this command: cat file1 | grep $A | grep $B where sometime A and, or, B are not set. For example: I set A=@ never defined or set B The above command send a cat error. Any idea? Thanks. Giovanni (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for NULL variable

Hello I want to check for NULL variable.. but this is not working..please help thanks in advance esham (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

test Null variable

hi forum i beginning with script and i want test un null variable in a schell i just don t know the syntax here is a litle example y=test echo $y unset y echo $y (so here Y = Null) if Y=Null then echo "y is null" exit fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kykyboss
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

not null cheking of an argument in perl

Hi, I have to check whether an argument say $ARGV is not null in an if operator. Please let me know the operator. It would be great if you write a psuedo code. Thanks in advance Ammu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check null variable

korn shell If then update_smartcare_user_password "$u_id" else echo "Not a database user" fi i get this error Syntax error at line *** : `then' is not expected. what should i do. I want to check whether $a is null or not. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on NULL and zero value of variable

Hi all, I have a stupid question on NULL and zero(0). In a script I've been working with, one of the lines is: if && then The problem I seem to have is when $Current_csm2 is null, this if block is not triggered, and I don't get why because I was under the impression that NULL!=0 Can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: spynappels
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Value of variable is NULL, but test doesn't seem to recognize

Hello, Unix-forums! My problem: read -p "Enter any number, please" number sleep 1 echo $number | tr -d 0-9 test -z $number && echo "Thank you" || echo "This is not a number"Test always displays "This is not a number". It doesn't matter if I entered a or 1. But if I order echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: intelinside
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for null condition in a UNIX variable

i have this code for i in `cat sql_output.txt` do -- some script commands done sql_output.txt has 1 column with employee_ids If the sql_output.txt is null then the do loop should not execute. How can i implement this. for i in `cat sql_output.txt` If i is null or empty then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition to check null variable

Guys, Please help me on the below sample.cfg var=NULL sample.sh #!/bin/sh . /sample.cfg if ;then 1 st command here else 2 nd command here fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If grep value is null then assign 0 to variable

DELETE=`cat $logfile1 | egrep -i "Delete" | sed 's/ */ /g' | cut -d" " -f2` INSERT=`cat $logfile1 | egrep -i "Insert" | sed 's/ */ /g' | cut -d" " -f2` UPDATE=`cat $logfile1 | egrep -i "Update" | sed 's/ */ /g' | cut -d" " -f2` I need soming like below: if value is null... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veera_V
8 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - Shell, the standard command language interpreter DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Tru64 UNIX provides two command interpreters with the name sh. The XCU5.0 and POSIX.2 compliant command interpreter sh is available in the file /usr/bin/posix/sh and is described in the sh(1p) reference page. The Bourne shell, historically known as sh, is available in the file /usr/bin/sh and is described in the sh(1b) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] Your initial, or login, shell is determined by your entry in the file /etc/passwd. This file can be changed only by your sys- tem administrator. You must use whatever procedures are in place at your location to have this entry changed. [Tru64 UNIX] If available on your system, you may use the passwd -s or the chsh commands to change your login shell. Note This option is not available if your site manages passwords through the Network Information Service (NIS) facility. Check with your system administrator. [Tru64 UNIX] Subsequent shells spawned from the initial shell depend on the value in the environment variable BIN_SH. If this variable is set to xpg4, the POSIX shell is started. If this variable is set to svr4, an SVR4 compliant version of the shell is started. If this vari- able is unset, the Bourne shell is started. If this variable is set to any other value, an error is reported and the results are unpre- dictable. See the EXAMPLES section for information on setting this variable. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] With Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0 the Korn shell, /usr/bin/ksh is the same as the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The file /etc/shells must include entries for both the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh and the Bourne shell, /usr/bin/sh. If this file is incorrect, see your system administrator. EXAMPLES
Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/ XCU5.0compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=xpg4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=svr4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unset BIN_SH Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/XCU5.0 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH xpg4 Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH svr4 Using the C/ shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unsetenv BIN_SH FILES
User profile. Contains user information, including the login shell name. Contains the names of available and permitted shells. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), passwd(1) Files: passwd(4), shells(4) Standards: standards(5) sh(1)