Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: broken pipe
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers broken pipe Post 34783 by Deepa on Wednesday 12th of March 2003 01:18:40 AM
Old 03-12-2003
In one scenario of TCP world, a 'broken pipe' error occurs when the other end of the connection(must be win2000pc in ur case) closes, and this end (unix) ignores the closure.

An ftp session establishes 2 distinct TCP connections between the source and destination: one for control information transfer which will be alive till you close the ftp session and the other is for the data transfer, which is established and closed for every get/put ftp command.

I assume that the control connection might have been closed from one end, which was ignored from the source end. And, still the source host would have continued sending some control information to the other end...and hence the broken pipe.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

broken pipe?

Hi there, I try to use: > find * | ls but it just gave me one level of ' ls '. and it said: > find * | ls dir1 dir2 f1 f2 f3 Broken Pipe > what is broken pipe? how can i fix it? thks Gusla (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Broken Pipe

Hi I tried to open the man page of sh and piped to `pg`. Normally while reading a file page by page using `pg`, if we wanna quit at the middle of file, we give "q" near the colon mode. Ex1: $cat file1 | pg hi how r u : (page1) now press "return key", it will go to next page yes i ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Broken Pipe

Hi I tried to open the man page of sh and piped to `pg`. Normally while reading a file page by page using `pg`, if we wanna quit at the middle of file, we give "q" near the colon mode. Ex1: $cat file1 | pg hi how r u : (page1) now press "return key", it will go to next page yes i ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
3 Replies

4. Linux

pipe broken

hi i have a server, and i have a web site and i installed apache in the /usr/local/apache/logs i have a file and i have this problem (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter: writing data to the network plz help me how i can resolve this plz it's urgent th (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abir2
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

pipe broken

hi i have a server, and i have a web site and i installed apache in the /usr/local/apache/logs i have a file and i have this problem (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter: writing data to the network plz help me how i can resolve this plz it's urgent th (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abir2
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

broken pipe

hi i am trying to upload a file using ftp protocol, i am facing some problem while uploading "Failedtoupload:SFTREGUP1:FTP_ASCII_MAILBOX21.39.10.856305000:Broken pipe" Can someone explain why it is coming , and the solution . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

broken pipe

I know what causes 'broken pipe' errors, but I can't understand why I can get it (only occasionally) with my example: ps -ef | grep "\./ans$" | grep -v grep Basically I'm searching the ps output looking for the process I'm interested in and excluding the process that is grepping for the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fhew
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

broken pipe error

I'm new to scripting, and this forum has been invaluable in helping me out. I'm hoping I can get some personal help now though. I have a korn script that takes a list of servers and either telnets or sshs into it (only some are set up for ssh). What I'm doing now is trying to telnet first, and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimeet
10 Replies

10. Red Hat

Broken pipe

Hi all, I am trying to run a sleep command and I am receiving a broken pipe when I execute. any help would be greatly appreciated. sleep `< /dev/urandom tr -dc 0-6 | head -c2` (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gartie
2 Replies
FTP-PROXY(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      FTP-PROXY(8)

NAME
ftp-proxy -- Internet File Transfer Protocol proxy server SYNOPSIS
ftp-proxy -i [-AnrVw] [-a address] [-D debuglevel] [-g group] [-M maxport] [-m minport] [-R address[:port]] [-S address] [-t timeout] [-u user] ftp-proxy -p [-AnrVw] [-a address] [-D debuglevel] [-g group] [-M maxport] [-m minport] [-R address[:port]] [-S address] [-t timeout] [-u user] DESCRIPTION
ftp-proxy is a proxy for the Internet File Transfer Protocol. The proxy uses pf(4) and expects to have the FTP control connection as described in services(5) redirected to it via a pf(4) rdr command. An example of how to do that is further down in this document. The options are as follows: -A Permit only anonymous FTP connections. The proxy will allow connections to log in to other sites as the user "ftp" or "anonymous" only. Any attempt to log in as another user will be blocked by the proxy. -a address Specify the local IP address to use in bind(2) as the source for connections made by ftp-proxy when connecting to destination FTP servers. This may be necessary if the interface address of your default route is not reachable from the destinations ftp-proxy is attempting connections to, or this address is different from the one connections are being NATed to. In the usual case this means that address should be a publicly visible IP address assigned to one of the interfaces on the machine running ftp-proxy and should be the same address to which you are translating traffic if you are using the -n option. -D debuglevel Specify a debug level, where the proxy emits verbose debug output into syslogd(8) at level LOG_DEBUG. Meaningful values of debu- glevel are 0-3, where 0 is no debug output and 3 is lots of debug output, the default being 0. -g group Specify the named group to drop group privileges to, after doing pf(4) lookups which require root. By default, ftp-proxy uses the default group of the user it drops privilege to. -i Set ftp-proxy for use with IP-Filter. -M maxport Specify the upper end of the port range the proxy will use for the data connections it establishes. The default is IPPORT_HILASTAUTO defined in <netinet/in.h> as 65535. -m minport Specify the lower end of the port range the proxy will use for all data connections it establishes. The default is IPPORT_HIFIRSTAUTO defined in <netinet/in.h> as 49152. -n Activate network address translation (NAT) mode. In this mode, the proxy will not attempt to proxy passive mode (PASV or EPSV) data connections. In order for this to work, the machine running the proxy will need to be forwarding packets and doing network address translation to allow the outbound passive connections from the client to reach the server. See pf.conf(5) for more details on NAT. The proxy only ignores passive mode data connections when using this flag; it will still proxy PORT and EPRT mode data connections. Without this flag, ftp-proxy does not require any IP forwarding or NAT beyond the rdr necessary to capture the FTP control connec- tion. -p Set ftp-proxy for use with pf. -R address:[port] Reverse proxy mode for FTP servers running behind a NAT gateway. In this mode, no redirection is needed. The proxy is run from inetd(8) on the port that external clients connect to (usually 21). Control connections and passive data connections are forwarded to the server. -r Use reverse host (reverse DNS) lookups for logging and libwrap use. By default, the proxy does not look up hostnames for libwrap or logging purposes. -S address Source address to use for data connections made by the proxy. Useful when there are multiple addresses (aliases) available to the proxy. Clients may expect data connections to have the same source address as the control connections, and reject or drop other con- nections. -t timeout Specifies a timeout, in seconds. The proxy will exit and close open connections if it sees no data for the duration of the timeout. The default is 0, which means the proxy will not time out. -u user Specify the named user to drop privilege to, after doing pf(4) lookups which require root privilege. By default, ftp-proxy drops privilege to the user proxy. Running as root means that the source of data connections the proxy makes for PORT and EPRT will be the RFC mandated port 20. When running as a non-root user, the source of the data connections from ftp-proxy will be chosen randomly from the range minport to maxport as described above. -V Be verbose. With this option the proxy logs the control commands sent by clients and the replies sent by the servers to syslogd(8). -w Use the tcp wrapper access control library hosts_access(3), allowing connections to be allowed or denied based on the tcp wrapper's hosts.allow(5) and hosts.deny(5) files. The proxy does libwrap operations after determining the destination of the captured control connection, so that tcp wrapper rules may be written based on the destination as well as the source of FTP connections. ftp-proxy is run from inetd(8) and requires that FTP connections are redirected to it using a rdr rule. A typical way to do this would be to use either an ipnat rule such as int_if = "xl0"; rdr $int_if 0/0 port 21 -> 127.0.0.1 port 8021 tcp or a pf.conf(5) rule such as int_if = "xl0" rdr pass on $int_if proto tcp from any to any port 21 -> 127.0.0.1 port 8021 inetd(8) must then be configured to run ftp-proxy on the port from above using 127.0.0.1:8021 stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/ftp-proxy ftp-proxy -[ip] in inetd.conf(5). ftp-proxy accepts the redirected control connections and forwards them to the server. The proxy replaces the address and port number that the client sends through the control connection to the server with its own address and proxy port, where it listens for the data connection. When the server opens the data connection back to this port, the proxy forwards it to the client. If you're using IP-Filter, the ipf.conf(5) rules need to let pass connections to these proxy ports (see options -u, -m, and -M above) in on the external interface. The following exam- ple allows only ports 49152 to 65535 to pass in statefully: block in on $ext_if proto tcp all pass in on $ext_if inet proto tcp from any to $ext_if port > 49151 keep state If you're using pf, then the pf.conf(5) rules need to let pass connections to these proxy ports (see options -u, -m, and -M above) in on the external interface. The following example allows only ports 49152 to 65535 to pass in statefully: block in on $ext_if proto tcp all pass in on $ext_if inet proto tcp from any to $ext_if port > 49151 keep state Alternatively, pf.conf(5) rules can make use of the fact that by default, ftp-proxy runs as user "proxy" to allow the backchannel connec- tions, as in the following example: block in on $ext_if proto tcp all pass in on $ext_if inet proto tcp from any to $ext_if user proxy keep state These examples do not cover the connections from the proxy to the foreign FTP server. If one does not pass outgoing connections by default additional rules are needed. NOTES
com.apple/100.InternetSharing/ftp-proxy PF anchor is required for this daemon to correctly function. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), pf(4), hosts.allow(5), hosts.deny(5), inetd.conf(5), ipf.conf(5), ipnat.conf(5), pf.conf(5), inetd(8), ipf(8), ipnat(8), pfctl(8), syslogd(8) BUGS
Extended Passive mode (EPSV) is not supported by the proxy and will not work unless the proxy is run in network address translation mode. When not in network address translation mode, the proxy returns an error to the client, hopefully forcing the client to revert to passive mode (PASV) which is supported. EPSV will work in network address translation mode, assuming a configuration setup which allows the EPSV connections through to their destinations. IPv6 is not yet supported. BSD
March 16, 2011 BSD