Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: broken pipe
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers broken pipe Post 34776 by oombera on Tuesday 11th of March 2003 04:59:55 PM
Old 03-11-2003
well, "broken pipe" is a real general error just meaning that the transfer cannot be completed for one reason or another.. i'm sure there are many many reasons you might get that message.. you may want to search on this site or on google for different causes/solutions.

i'm sure others on here will list some things to try, i just don't have any suggestions myself.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

broken pipe?

Hi there, I try to use: > find * | ls but it just gave me one level of ' ls '. and it said: > find * | ls dir1 dir2 f1 f2 f3 Broken Pipe > what is broken pipe? how can i fix it? thks Gusla (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Broken Pipe

Hi I tried to open the man page of sh and piped to `pg`. Normally while reading a file page by page using `pg`, if we wanna quit at the middle of file, we give "q" near the colon mode. Ex1: $cat file1 | pg hi how r u : (page1) now press "return key", it will go to next page yes i ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Broken Pipe

Hi I tried to open the man page of sh and piped to `pg`. Normally while reading a file page by page using `pg`, if we wanna quit at the middle of file, we give "q" near the colon mode. Ex1: $cat file1 | pg hi how r u : (page1) now press "return key", it will go to next page yes i ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
3 Replies

4. Linux

pipe broken

hi i have a server, and i have a web site and i installed apache in the /usr/local/apache/logs i have a file and i have this problem (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter: writing data to the network plz help me how i can resolve this plz it's urgent th (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abir2
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

pipe broken

hi i have a server, and i have a web site and i installed apache in the /usr/local/apache/logs i have a file and i have this problem (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter: writing data to the network plz help me how i can resolve this plz it's urgent th (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abir2
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

broken pipe

hi i am trying to upload a file using ftp protocol, i am facing some problem while uploading "Failedtoupload:SFTREGUP1:FTP_ASCII_MAILBOX21.39.10.856305000:Broken pipe" Can someone explain why it is coming , and the solution . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

broken pipe

I know what causes 'broken pipe' errors, but I can't understand why I can get it (only occasionally) with my example: ps -ef | grep "\./ans$" | grep -v grep Basically I'm searching the ps output looking for the process I'm interested in and excluding the process that is grepping for the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fhew
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

broken pipe error

I'm new to scripting, and this forum has been invaluable in helping me out. I'm hoping I can get some personal help now though. I have a korn script that takes a list of servers and either telnets or sshs into it (only some are set up for ssh). What I'm doing now is trying to telnet first, and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimeet
10 Replies

10. Red Hat

Broken pipe

Hi all, I am trying to run a sleep command and I am receiving a broken pipe when I execute. any help would be greatly appreciated. sleep `< /dev/urandom tr -dc 0-6 | head -c2` (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gartie
2 Replies
USERLIST(8)						      Finger-type Userlisting						       USERLIST(8)

NAME
userlist - Userlisting of who's on your system. SYNOPSIS
userlist DESCRIPTION
This program simply gives you a listing of who is connected to your system. It is used primarily in the sorted listing of cfingerd, which utilitizes the same method of display for a more uniform output between systems. (It also made more sense to do it this way instead of having jumbled up display listings in sorted finger displays. Besides, it made more sense to do this than use finger. :) This program functions with the same types of things in mind that cfingerd does. If the user has a .nofinger file, their username will not be displayed in the userlisting. Example output is shown as: Username Real Name Idletime TTY Remote console username I'm real ... 9d 23:59 0 (remote.site.com) where it would display the user's login name, the user's real name, their idle time given in the format "dd hh:mm", their TTY, and their remote location (or where they're telnetting from). If the username is over 8 characters, the program will not search for their information in the passwd file, since it may be too long. Besides, it checks getpwnam, anyway. :) OPTIONS
-c Give standard CFINGERD (custom) output. -n List only people idle less than one day. ADDITIONAL
Although userlist is not required to run as suid root, it is a good idea. The reason is it checks each users' directory for a .nofinger file. If indeed that user has a .nofinger file in his/her directory, that user will not be shown in the userlisting. If you change the program to run as nobody.nobody, you are free to do so. But you will also show the users if they are online, regardless of whether or not they have a ".nofinger" file (as long as their directory is NOT world-readable.) CONTACTING
If you like this program, have any suggestions on how it could be modified, or have bug reports, please write to: khollis@bitgate.com. Your continued Public Domain support is appreciated! Thanks. SEE ALSO
cfingerd.conf(5), cfingerd(8), finger(1). cfingerd 1.4.2 29 August 1999 USERLIST(8)