Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Force to change to a different password Post 33724 by RTM on Thursday 16th of January 2003 10:27:20 AM
Old 01-16-2003
Shibz,

If a person signed into or su'ed to the root account could not reset a password (either to the same thing or something new) then you would have accounts that would get locked/forgotten-password that you would have to delete and recreate.

Champion,
As far as setting the same password - are you using NIS or NIS+?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Force Password Change...RedHat 7.1

Hello, I just finished adding a bunch of new users to the linux servers I administer. I add users either via command line or via linuxconf, but I can't seem to find out how to force users to change their passwords on their first login to the system. Anyone know how to do that? My HP-UX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vancouver_joe
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Server wide password enforcement rules? 90 day force change.

Using Solaris 9 and 10. What we want to do is set up global rules for our password files to restrict all users, not only new ones set up with the rules but also the ones that have been sitting on the system for years. Is there a global way to force all users to change their password every 90... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

force to change password(shell script)

hi How can I force user to change of password by modifying the password expiry and the grace period so that the user has at least 1 week to login and change the password...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

force to change password(by modifying /etc/shadow)

hi by modifying /etc/shadow how can I Force a change of password so that user has at least 1 week to login? I did it by using: echo "enter username to force password change" read user; chage -M 7 $user; How can I do it by modifying /etc/shadow?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Force user to change passwd on first login

Hello All, How to force user to change his login passwd on his first login in solaris 10 ? while adding user do we need to set the password in theis case?? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
7 Replies

7. Red Hat

how to force a user to change the password

RHEL 5 update 4. How to force a user to change the password at his next logon. Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: uxadmin007
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Force to reset password after expire

Hi Lads, I would like place the mechanism of force reset password to user when he login to the server after his password expired. Currently, We are resetting users once in every 60 days using cron job but I am thinking is there any other way to force reset passwords after it expires? I am using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Navkreddy
1 Replies

9. AIX

Setting root pasword to null with force change on first login

Greetings All I have a specific use case: for the deployment of a standard AIX Golden Image via mksysb, I have been requested to set the root user password to NULL with forced change on first login. Currently the admins need to remember when the Golden Image mksysb was created to calculate the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: milegrin
5 Replies

10. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
chage(1)						      General Commands Manual							  chage(1)

NAME
chage - change user password expiry information SYNOPSIS
chage [-D binddn] [-P path] [-m mindays] [-M maxdays] [-d lastday] [-I inactive] [-E expiredate] [-W warndays] user chage -l [user] DESCRIPTION
chage is used to list and change the password expiry information of a user. It allows the system administrator to change the number of days between allowed and required password changes and the date of the last password change. It allows also to define when an account will expire. The chage command is restricted to the system administrator, except for the -l option, which may be used by an user to determine when his password or account is due to expire. If no option is given, chage operates in an interactive mode, prompting the user with the current values for all of the fields. Enter the new value to change the field, or leave the line blank to use the current value. If the users exists in the local passwd file, but not in the local shadow file, chage will create a new entry in the shadow file. OPTIONS
-D, --binddn binddn Use the Distinguished Name binddn to bind to the LDAP directory. The user will be prompted for a password for simple authentica- tion. -P, --path path The passwd and shadow files are located below the specified directory path. chage will use this files, not /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. This is useful for example on NIS master servers, where you do not want to give all users in the NIS database auto- matic access to your NIS server and the NIS map is build from special files. -l, --list This option will list the password expiry information in a human readable format. The user will see the date when he changed the password the last time, when the password will be expire, when the password will be locked and when the account will expire. -m, --mindays mindays With this option the minimum number of days between password changes is changed. A value of zero for this field indicates that the user may change her password at any time. Else the user will not be permitted to change the password until min days have elapsed. -M, --maxdays maxdays With this option the maximum number of days during which a password is valid is changed. When maxdays plus lastday is less than the current day, the user will be required to change his password before being able to use the account. -d, --lastday lastday With this option the date when the password was last changed can be set to another value. lastday has to be specified as number of days since January 1st, 1970. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD. If supported by the system, a value of zero forces the user to change the password at next login. -E, --expiredate expiredate With this option the date when the account will be expired can be changed. expiredate has to be specified as number of days since January 1st, 1970. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD. -I, --inactive inactive This option is used to set the number of days of inactivity after a password has expired before the account is locked. A user whose account is locked must contact the system administrator before being able to use the account again. A value of -1 disables this feature. -W, --warndays warndays With this option the number of days of warning before a password change is required can be changed. This option is the number of days prior to the password expiring that a user will be warned the password is about to expire. FILES
passwd - user account information shadow - shadow user account information SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passwd(5) AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> pwdutils November 2005 chage(1)