Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Command line buffer limit?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Command line buffer limit? Post 33487 by RTM on Tuesday 7th of January 2003 09:37:54 AM
Old 01-07-2003
Thanks Perderabo. I did two different commands (one to create a directory which I realized may have been a problem other than the 'limit' on command line) but both errored by beeping constantly and giving an error in the middle of the line.

On one, it cut a grep command and came back with "command not found" for "rep" and the other died along the same line (same number of characters).

cat passwd | grep h | grep o | grep m | grep e | grep a | grep i | grep o | grep 8 | grep 1 | grep 3 | grep 2 | grep 9 | grep "-" | grep S | grep b | grep l | grep t | grep L | grep 4 | grep d | grep r | grep 0 | grep V | grep I | grep abal | grep k | grep and | grep ers | grep eit | grep N | grep z | grep w | grep g | grep N
$ V | grep I | grep abal | grep k | grep <
usage: grep [-E|-F] [-c|-l|-q] [-bhinsvx] -e pattern_list...
[-f pattern_file...] [file...]
usage: grep [-E|-F] [-c|-l|-q] [-bhinsvx] [-e pattern_list...]
-f pattern_file... [file...]
usage: grep [-E|-F] [-c|-l|-q] [-bhinsvx] pattern [file...]

Note that when hitting return, it errors and gives back a prompt and includes the rest of the line as a start of a new command ($ V | grep 1 ....).

This is probably some other parameter set differently from one system to the next (or possibly shell) but I figured I would ask about it. I can also get the same response on Solaris even though I found some indication that the same information you suggested was true for it too. Ksh on HP and csh on Solaris. And for some reason I get a few more characters (about 40 ) on Solaris. The whole thing is strange and inconsistant.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sendmail message body buffer limit?

when sending the contents of a ascii file to the body of an email then sending it off. it seems sendmail is breaking up the lines with a "!" thus ruining the data. Has this ever happened to anyone? i am guessing there is a line buffer limit in either the mail command or in sendmail itself. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep line length limit

Hi Friends, I am having a funny problem with grep. When I run grep 'expr' file.txt things work fine. But when try to get the line number using the -n option, i.e, grep -n 'expr' file.txt I get a message, "grep: 0652-226 Maximum line length of 2048 exceeded." If the line has more than... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hnhegde
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Monitor printer buffer using unix command

Hi, I have 13jobs waiting in a printer queue.I am try to get the status and number of jobs using lpstat but i cant see any job is waiting in queue.i think those jobs are in printer buffer.is there any way to get the status of printer buffer too using unix command.please correct me if i am wrong. i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagii
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to limit the search to 'n' occurrences within a line

Hello All, I am trying to search one pattern across a file and then print it. But i need to delimit the search per line to 2 occurrences. How do i do that? Regards. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linuxee
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk awk: program limit exceeded: sprintf buffer size=1020

Hi I have many problems with a script. I have a script that formats a text file but always prints the same error when i try to execute it The code is that: { if (NF==17){ print $0 }else{ fields=NF; all=$0; while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fate
2 Replies

6. Programming

Is there a limit for a code line length in C?

Is there any stabdard limitation on size of a code line in C code? I am interesting in UNIX limitation, particulary on SUN. Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vim external command output to new buffer

Hi, From inside Vim, I'm looking for a way to use the contents of the current buffer, pass it to an external executable, and then return the output from the executable into a new Vim buffer. I know that I can do something like %!<executable>, but that will overwrite the contents of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: konfushus
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore the 255 character limit of command line

Hi I would just like to ask if there is a way for UNIX to ignore/overcome the 255 character limit of the command line? My problem is that I have a really long line of text from a file (300+ bytes) which i have to "echo" and process by adding commands like "sed" to the end of the line, like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: agentgrecko
5 Replies

9. Programming

Limit line for perl

Hey guys, can help me out with this? How do i limit output for xml to 50 character? i tried *below* but doesnt work, it still print more than 50 characters. Thanks in advance printf "%-50s", "$testline\n"; (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Single line archive log files command if exceed certain limit in Linux

Hello Guys, Is there a single line archive command to zip or tar log files which is larger than certain size limit ? Do let me know if there is any. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: UnknownGuy
7 Replies
line(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   line(1)

NAME
line - read one line from user input SYNOPSIS
timeout] DESCRIPTION
copies one line (up to a new-line) from the standard input and writes it on the standard output. It returns an exit code of 1 on EOF and always prints at least a new-line. It is often used within shell files to read from the user's terminal. Options recognizes the following command-line option: Timeout after timeout seconds where timeout is an integer value (if a non-integer value is specified, it is converted to an integer; i.e., rounded down). A blank is required between and the timeout argument. This option is not documented in POSIX and other industry standards, and should not be used in portable applications. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
The following lines in a shell script prompt for a file name and display information about the file: To limit the response time to 10 seconds, use the form: then test for no response. If no response occurs before timeout expires, a default behavior should be provided. WARNINGS
This command is likely to be withdrawn from X/Open standards. Applications using this command might not be portable to other vendors' sys- tems. As an alternative is recommended. SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
line(1)