Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Count Number Of Threads in a Process Post 33261 by S.P.Prasad on Tuesday 24th of December 2002 06:19:34 AM
Old 12-24-2002
In a simple C program like the following :
/* program :- One.c */
main ( )
{
printf ( "Hi To Everyone !\n" ) ;
for ( ; ; ) ;
}
which is compiled with the following command :
cc One.c
and later executed, I found that in the /proc/[pid]/lwp only one subdirectory exists, but when the same program is compiled with following option :
cc One.c -lpthread
and later executed, the lwp directory of its pid in /proc filesystem shows presence of three subdirectories.
Why does it happens so ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

how to see the threads count of a process in hp unix?

hi,all: how to see the threads count of a process in hp unix? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bugbugbug
2 Replies

2. Linux

Maximum number of threads handled by a process????

Hi Anybody knows max. no. of threads handled by a process in linux. Please reply Thanks in advnce :confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Agnello
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Threads and Threads Count ?

Hi all, How can I get the list of all Threads and the Total count of threads under a particular process ? Do suggest !! Awaiting for the replies !! Thanks Varun:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Need help. Unable to create threads after a certain number

Hi, I have a process which creates pthreads to generate some reports. After creating the reports these threads return null. But after 1024 threads, the process is not able to create any threads further.,and at max 5 threads are existing simultaneously and are returning the control back after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krsh
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

threads per process

What are the maximum number of threads possible per Process? Is it OS dependent? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digdarshan
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Number of threads running

Is there any command to find 1) the number of threads running 2) kernel boot mode in solaris box (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add the number of row and count number of rows

Hi experts a have a very large file and I need to add two columns: the first one numbering the incidence of records and the another with the total count The input file: 21 2341 A 21 2341 A 21 2341 A 21 2341 C 21 2341 C 21 2341 C 21 2341 C 21 4567 A 21 4567 A 21 4567 C ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: juelillo
6 Replies

8. AIX

How to list all threads in a running process

Hello, On Linux, I can use 'ps -efL | grep process_name' to list all threads that belong to a running process. -L has a different meaning on AIX and I could not find an equivalent flag in the man pages. Does anyone know of a way to dump the threads under a running process? Thanks,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: makodarear
2 Replies

9. SuSE

Configuring Number Threads

I have this error message from the logs of Zimbra email running on SUSE 11.2 Is the thread maximum of 20 an operating system parameter, or is it part of the application code, or part of the java run time? Part two, how would I increase that number? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
3 Replies

10. HP-UX

How to get number of threads for single java process on HP-UX OS?

Hi All, When i was trying to get total number of threads per java process using this command ps -o NLWP PID, I'm not getting any output. Could someone help me in this issue. Thanks, GMar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgangumolu
1 Replies
pause(2)							System Calls Manual							  pause(2)

NAME
pause - suspend process until signal SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
suspends the calling process until it receives a signal. The signal must be one that is not currently set to be ignored or blocked (masked) by the calling process. If the signal causes termination of the calling process, does not return. If the signal is by the calling process and control is returned from the signal-catching function (see signal(5)), the calling process resumes execution from the point of suspension; with a return value of -1 from and set to APPLICATION USAGE
Threads Considerations Signal dispositions (such as catch/default/ignore) are shared by all threads in the process and blocked signal masks are maintained by each thread. Therefore, the signals being waited for should not be ignored by the process or blocked by the calling thread. will suspend only the calling thread until it receives a signal. If other threads in the process do not block the signal, the signal may be delivered to another thread in the process and the thread in may continue waiting. For this reason, the use of is recommended instead of for multi-threaded applications. For more information regarding signals and threads, refer to signal(5). SEE ALSO
alarm(2), kill(2), sigwait(2), wait(2), signal(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
pause(2)