Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: rmdir a non-empty directory.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers rmdir a non-empty directory. Post 32935 by yls177 on Tuesday 10th of December 2002 09:38:45 PM
Old 12-10-2002
rmdir a non-empty directory.

hi, i understand that rmdir will only remove direcotry when it is empty but are there options which will also remove non-empty directories? i went to man rmdir but only find the option -p? i am on solaris. thanks
yls177

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting the right directory as non-empty

Hi guys, I've been trying to get this part of my script to work for ages and now it's getting me annoyed!! So i thought a fresh group of eyes could see where i'm going wrong! The idea is getting a directory and all its files moved to a temp folder, but similar to the rm -ir command where it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: olimiles
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

-r paramater with chown and rmdir

If I am root user, and trying to chown everything in a directory and it's subdirectories (e.g. httpdocs and everything inside that directory, including it's sub directories), how would I do that? I tried it with -r but it didnt seem to work...can someone help with the correct syntax? Also, if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eman619
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to empty all files in a directory

Hi all, Can you tell me how to empty all files in a directory with a "find" command? It does not seem to work the way I try it: # ls -l *.dat -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7 Jul 20 20:51 la2.dat -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4 Jul 20 20:51 la.dat # find... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormark
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I tell if a directory is empty?

To see if a directory is has anything in it, I do this: if ; then # do something fi But surely there is a more easy-to-read and elegant way. Isn't there? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KenJackson
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick question...rmdir -l

Hello, We use a very basic version of unix via putty and are not experts by any means. We accidentally submitted the statement: "mkdir -l" ("dash-letter L) and a new directory was created. Putty/UNIX will now not recognize the statement "rmdir -l". When we run a "ls -l" command, it shows... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: UDcc123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove empty directory

Hi, I need to delete an empty directory in a temp directory except "dir5" (keep everything that is not empty). Plese advise. Here is an example of my directory. /dir/temp/ dir1 - delete if this is empty dir2 - delete if this is empty dir3 - delete if this is empty dir4 - delete if this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirrtuan
7 Replies

7. SCO

Deleting a directory that is not empty

I know someone will probably laugh at this question, I probably knew the answer many years ago when I was doing this full time but here goes..... I have a directory that has many files and sub-directories in it, RMDIR will not delete a directory that is not empty so what is the command to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moondogi
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check whether a Directory is empty or not

1.pls tell me the command for checking whether a given directory is empty or not . 2. can i check what is the last copied item in a directory . and i yes , i want to move that last copied item in another directory . pls help me with shell code for these two tasks thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: upvan111
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Check whether a Directory is empty or not

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: 1.pls tell me the command for checking whether a given directory is empty or not . 2. can i check what is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: upvan111
1 Replies

10. Programming

Perl - How to empty a directory?

Hi Guys, i'm writing a perl script which whenever runs, should empty 3 pre-decided directories as first step and then the script has the logic to parse some other directories and copy the files inside those directories into these 3 directories. I've the logic already developed, just need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhamaks
2 Replies
RMDIR(1)							   User Commands							  RMDIR(1)

NAME
rmdir - remove empty directories SYNOPSIS
rmdir [OPTION]... DIRECTORY... DESCRIPTION
Remove the DIRECTORY(ies), if they are empty. --ignore-fail-on-non-empty ignore each failure that is solely because a directory is non-empty -p, --parents remove DIRECTORY and its ancestors; e.g., 'rmdir -p a/b/c' is similar to 'rmdir a/b/c a/b a' -v, --verbose output a diagnostic for every directory processed --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report rmdir translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
rmdir(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/rmdir> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) rmdir invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 RMDIR(1)