Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 32-bit or 64-bit
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 32-bit or 64-bit Post 31626 by Perderabo on Monday 11th of November 2002 08:22:44 AM
Old 11-11-2002
"uname -r" returns the "release" of the Operating System. On HP-UX, I get B.11.11. With SunOS, I get "5.8". That's close enough to be usuable. So this is an answer to the 2nd part of of question.

As for the first part, HP-UX has a command "getconf KERNEL_BITS" that will do exacyly what you want. Sun's getconf does not have this feature though.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

copying or concatinating string from 1st bit, leaving 0th bit

Hello, If i have 2 strings str1 and str2, i would like to copy/concatenate str2 to str1, from 1st bit leaving the 0th bit. How do i do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

boot the 32 bit kernel on a 64 bit PPC Linux machine?

Hi all, I'm looking to cover a corner case for an upcoming test cycle. Is there a way to boot a RedHat Advanced Server 4 (update 3) installed on a Power PC machine to use a 32 bit kernel? This would be similar to what is done here -> https://www.unix.com/aix/26204-aix-platform.html I've done... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: philrau
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle 64 bit arithmetic operation at 32 bit compiled perl interpreter?H

Hi, Here is the issue. From the program snippet I have Base: 0x1800000000, Size: 0x3FFE7FFFFFFFF which are of 40 and 56 bits. SO I used use bignum to do the math but summing them up I always failed having correct result. perl interpreter info, perl, v5.8.8 built for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
0 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Which version of Windows Vista to install with a product key? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Hello everyone. I bought a dell laptop (XPS M1330) online which came without a hard drive. There is a Windows Vista Ultimate OEMAct sticker with product key at the bottom case. I checked dell website (here) for this model and it says this model supports both 32 and 64-bit version of Windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies
GETCONF(1)                                                       Debian GNU/Linux                                                       GETCONF(1)

NAME
getconf - Query system configuration variables SYNOPSIS
getconf -a getconf [-v specification] system_var getconf [-v specification] path_var pathname DESCRIPTION
-a Displays all configuration variables for the current system and their values. -v Indicate the specification and version for which to obtain configuration variables. system_var A system configuration variable, as defined by sysconf(3) or confstr(3). path_var A system configuration variable as defined by pathconf(3). This must be used with a pathname. AUTHOR
getconf was written by Roland McGrath for the GNU C Library This man page was written by Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> for the Debian GNU/Linux system. SEE ALSO
sysconf(3), pathconf(3), confstr(3) 3rd Berkeley Distribution squeeze GETCONF(1)