Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: frecover
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers frecover Post 314 by Neo on Wednesday 22nd of November 2000 01:17:47 AM
Old 11-22-2000
Thanks for the man page pointer. Here are my current thoughts of what I would do if this was my problem and some background discussion.

First of all, in my years of HPUX experience, I always tried to avoid using SAM. SAM does many commands when you execute a function and it is hard to debug errors, as you are discovering.

Back away from SAM, decide what you are going to do, use the HP documentation and man pages and do it, step-by-step without SAM in between you and the environment. This has always been my method-of-operating in an HPUX environment. That is not to say that SAM is 'not good' because I use it to add users, groups and other less complex tasks. However,
for non-trivial tasks or tasks that are giving errors, I immediately move from SAM to the command line.

Now, assume you are at the command line. Take a look at the files and their permissions, write them down, etc. Start your reconfiguration step-by-step. If that does not work and you get errors, for example with frecover(); I would use a system call tracing utility to find out what is the exact HPUX system call returning the error and the arguments being passed to the system call. Sometimes the return codes of the systems call are much more informative that the text messages in the console. You will have to read the detailed man pages of the system calls to get this information. Somethings you will have to go into the header files in the associated system libs and look for the #defines in the right includes to get the next level of details.

I don't recall the name of the HPUX system call trace utility, something like ptrace() or strace() or something like that. There is one however, and learning to use it will become one of your greatest sysadmin debugging tools.

However, in many cases, just executing the task from the command line, step-by-step, in a controlled manner, with lead to a discovery of the problem. It may not be necessary to go a level deeper into system call tracing; but you will surely learn a lot about your environment getting out from under SAM and into the nuts-and-bolts of the task at hand.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

frecover

I have machine (HP-UX) 11.x and I took backup using fbackup (took 4 DDS tapes) then i did restore using frecover . the restore failed on the 4th tape . and the process killed . Can I restore only the 4th tape. or I have to do full recover from biginning ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salhoub
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

frecover on HP 11.11

Hi, Can someone please explain how I can check whether my files were backed-up to tape. I issued this command and got an error:- # frecover -I /tmp/mth -f /dev/rmt/5m frecover(2105): did not find expected file marker frecover(5409): unable to read volume header frecover(5418): not an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gummysweets
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP fbackup/frecover to SUN UNIX format?

Hi All, We have about 7 years worth of data which used the HP fbackup utility. Is there any utility to read these tapes on Solaris? The goal is to create new tapes using Legato. Do we need to download them to a box first using frecover, then copy them from SUN using Legato? Any help in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinakumar
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

frecover command need help urgent please

Hi, I have a tape fbackup done (fbackup -f /dev/rmt/0m -i / -I index.fullfbackup) and I need to restore 3 filesystems, I would like to know the correct command and options: example: I want to restore the filesystem /data1 under /data1 and /data2 under another filesystem /datatest I tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: touny
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

frecover problem

I had to do a recovery and restore from backup (using ignite & backups from fbackup job) on hpux 10.20. Problem is, all users (except root) receive error 'unknown user' when logging in (during script that checks quotas). They can still successfully log in to the system. However, the files... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrviking
9 Replies

6. Red Hat

frecover counterpart on linux

Hello All, The frecover command on HP UX gives information about the backed up file in the format- Magic Field: Machine Identification: System Identification:HP-UX Release Identification:B.11.11 Node Identification: User Identification: Record Size: Time: Media Use:0 Volume Number:1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamik
1 Replies
rmt(1M) 																   rmt(1M)

NAME
rmt - remote magnetic-tape protocol module SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
is a program used by the remote dump and restore programs for manipulating a magnetic tape drive through an interprocess communication (IPC) connection. The and commands also use to achieve remote backup capability (see fbackup(1M) and frecover(1M)). is normally started up with an or call (see rexec(3N) and rcmd(3N)). accepts requests specific to the manipulation of magnetic tapes, performs the commands, then responds with a status indication. DDS devices that emulate magnetic tapes are also supported. All responses are in ASCII and in one of two forms. Successful commands have responses of where number is an ASCII representation of a decimal number. Unsuccessful commands are responded to with where error-number is one of the possible error numbers described in errno(2) and error-message is the corresponding error string as printed from a call to (see perror(3C)). The protocol is comprised of the following commands: Open the specified device using the indicated mode. device is a full pathname and mode is an ASCII representation of a decimal number suitable for passing to (see open(2)). If a device is already open, it is closed before a new open is performed. Open the specified device using the indicated mode. device is a full pathname and mode is an ASCII representation of an octal number suitable for passing to If a device is already open, it is closed before a new open is performed. Close the currently open device. The device specified is ignored. Perform an operation using the specified parameters (see lseek(2)). The response value is that returned from by Write data onto the open device. reads count bytes from the connection, aborting if a premature end-of-file is encountered. The response value is that returned from by (see write(2)). Read count bytes of data from the open device. If count exceeds the size of the data buffer (10 Kbytes), it is truncated to the data buffer size. then performs the requested and responds with if the read was successful. Otherwise an error is returned in the standard format. If the read was successful, the data read is then sent. Perform a command using the specified parameters. Parameters are interpreted as ASCII representations of the decimal values to be placed in the and fields of the structure used in the call. The return value is the count parame- ter when the operation is successful. Return the status of the open device, as obtained with a call. If the operation was successful, an ACK is sent with the size of the status buffer, then the status buf- fer is sent (in binary). Return the status of the open device, as obtained with a call. If the operation was successful, an ACK is sent with the size of the status buffer, then the status buf- fer is sent (in binary). Return the status of the open device, as obtained with a call. If the operation was successful, an ACK is sent with the size of the status buffer, then the status buffer is sent in the following ASCII format: machine<blank>value<newline> stat_struct_member_name<blank>value<newline> The end of the data is indicated by an ASCII NULL character. See for the definition. In addition to the struct stat information, there is an entry in the buffer describing the machine type as returned from a call (see uname(2)). In the above format ``machine'' is a key word. All fields except of the are returned. Return the status of the open device, as obtained with a call. If the operation was successful, an is sent with the size of the status buffer, then the status buffer is sent in the following ASCII format: machine<blank>value<newline> mtget_struct_member_name<blank>value<newline> The end of the data is indicated by an ASCII NULL character. See for the definition. In addition to the struct mtget information there is an entry in the buffer describing the machine type as returned from a call. In the above format "machine" is a keyword. Any other command causes to exit. RETURN VALUE
Device status is returned in the field contains defined macros for checking the status bits. DIAGNOSTICS
All responses are of the form described above. WARNINGS
Use of this command for remote file access protocol is discouraged. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
ftio(1), fbackup(1M), frecover(1M), dump(1M), restore(1M), rcmd(3N), rexec(3N). rmt(1M)