Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: forum rules
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators forum rules Post 30723 by Neo on Friday 25th of October 2002 04:22:00 PM
Old 10-25-2002
We will be rotating moderators in the next weeks or months, to give other strong forum supporters an opportunity to moderate.

Also, anyone can point out that rules are being broken..... but they must follow the rules in how they point out that rules are being broken Smilie

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

suggested addition to forum rules

Possible new rule for the "forum rules" list: <UL> <LI>Include as many pertinent details as possible in your post. Useful information usually includes: Vendor and version of Unix you are using, hardware platform, kernel version (if applicable). For hardware related questions include model... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PxT
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Forum rules

After reading the FAQ for the first time, I noticed Rule # 14 : :D:D:D Anyways, I hope to make more use of this forum in future, and also to help others. Regards Ook. :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: The_Librarian
0 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

I want to consult about 4th of Forum Rules

Hi, Admin, because my English is very poor, So I don't understand very well about 4th of Forum Rules, that is “Do not 'bump up' questions if they are not answered promptly. No duplicate or cross-posting and do not report a post”. My question is: if I created a new thread, and some people reply... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weichanghe2000
3 Replies
tcprules(1)						      General Commands Manual						       tcprules(1)

NAME
tcprules - compile rules for tcpserver SYNOPSIS
tcprules rules.cdb rules.tmp OVERVIEW
tcpserver optionally follows rules to decide whether a TCP connection is acceptable. For example, a rule of 18.23.0.32:deny prohibits connections from IP address 18.23.0.32. tcprules reads rules from its standard input and writes them into rules.cdb in a binary format suited for quick access by tcpserver. tcprules can be used while tcpserver is running: it ensures that rules.cdb is updated atomically. It does this by first writing the rules to rules.tmp and then moving rules.tmp on top of rules.cdb. If rules.tmp already exists, it is destroyed. The directories containing rules.cdb and rules.tmp must be writable to tcprules; they must also be on the same filesystem. If there is a problem with the input, tcprules complains and leaves rules.cdb alone. The binary rules.cdb format is portable across machines. RULE FORMAT
A rule takes up one line. A file containing rules may also contain comments: lines beginning with # are ignored. Each rule contains an address, a colon, and a list of instructions, with no extra spaces. When tcpserver receives a connection from that address, it follows the instructions. ADDRESSES
tcpserver starts by looking for a rule with address TCPREMOTEINFO@TCPREMOTEIP. If it doesn't find one, or if TCPREMOTEINFO is not set, it tries the address TCPREMOTEIP. If that doesn't work, it tries shorter and shorter prefixes of TCPREMOTEIP ending with a dot. If none of them work, it tries the empty string. For example, here are some rules: joe@127.0.0.1:first 18.23.0.32:second 127.:third :fourth ::1:fifth If TCPREMOTEIP is 10.119.75.38, tcpserver will follow the fourth instructions. If TCPREMOTEIP is ::1, tcpserver will follow the fifth instructions. Note that you cannot detect IPv4 mapped addresses by matching "::ffff", as those addresses will be converted to IPv4 before looking at the rules. If TCPREMOTEIP is 18.23.0.32, tcpserver will follow the second instructions. If TCPREMOTEINFO is bill and TCPREMOTEIP is 127.0.0.1, tcpserver will follow the third instructions. If TCPREMOTEINFO is joe and TCPREMOTEIP is 127.0.0.1, tcpserver will follow the first instructions. ADDRESS RANGES
tcprules treats 1.2.3.37-53:ins as an abbreviation for the rules 1.2.3.37:ins, 1.2.3.38:ins, and so on up through 1.2.3.53:ins. Similarly, 10.2-3.:ins is an abbreviation for 10.2.:ins and 10.3.:ins. INSTRUCTIONS
The instructions in a rule must begin with either allow or deny. deny tells tcpserver to drop the connection without running anything. For example, the rule :deny tells tcpserver to drop all connections that aren't handled by more specific rules. The instructions may continue with some environment variables, in the format ,VAR="VALUE". tcpserver adds VAR=VALUE to the current envi- ronment. For example, 10.0.:allow,RELAYCLIENT="@fix.me" adds RELAYCLIENT=@fix.me to the environment. The quotes here may be replaced by any repeated character: 10.0.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=/@fix.me/ Any number of variables may be listed: 127.0.0.1:allow,RELAYCLIENT="",TCPLOCALHOST="movie.edu" SEE ALSO
tcprulescheck(1), tcpserver(1), tcp-environ(5) tcprules(1)