Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Does vsftpd support user subcommand? Post 303002788 by Corona688 on Friday 1st of September 2017 11:18:13 AM
Old 09-01-2017
Do not mess with PAM unless you are in easy driving distance of the system, have a rescue CD and the technical know-how to fix it by hand. Even then, give it a couple of second thoughts. The risks of altering PAM are very high. You can easily render your system unbootable, un-login-able, or open security holes you could only discover by accident (or intentional intrusion).

Why do you need to change users after an FTP login? Why not login as the user you wanted to login as in the first place?

Why do you need to use FTP at all?

Explain your problem in more detail and we can probably find better solutions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

500 OOPS: vsftpd: cannot locate user specified in 'ftp_username':ftp

I've been tearing my hair out over this: vsftp does not work on any of my RedHat Server 5.x systems - I keep getting a variation on 500 OOPS: vsftpd: cannot locate user specified in 'ftp_username':ftp or 500 OOPS: cannot locate user entry:nobody (different errors on different systems). I spent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomn8r
2 Replies

2. Linux

500 OOPS: vsftpd: cannot locate user specified in 'ftp_username':ftp

I've been fighting this for about a year: vsftp does not work on any of my RedHat Server 5.x systems - I keep getting a variation on 500 OOPS: vsftpd: cannot locate user specified in 'ftp_username':ftp or 500 OOPS: cannot locate user entry:nobody (different errors on different systems). I spent... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomn8r
0 Replies

3. Solaris

user support

We have a very old sun solaris ultra spac system (about 14 years old). We have information stored on it that we reference from time to time because our new software is lacking. The system failed about a week ago and I had to do a hard boot to get it back up. It came up that time, but it failed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshinn15
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VSFTPD - User or IP based SSL encryption?

Is there a way i can only force SSL encryption if they connect from outside our network OR allow certain IP's to connect without using encryption? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem using VSFTPD

Hello, When my fellow employees loggin to the FTP server they have no problems if they use FTP clients. When they try and access the FTP site using their browsers using ftp://<domain> name all they get is a pub directory which is empty. They are not even prompted for loggin. How to fix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VSFTPD

Hi, I am using VSFTPD. I have instructed it to send all logging informartion to /var/log/messages. I would like it to record the names of users who have failed loggin attempts. I have read up on it but have not found out how to do this. Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

vsftpd with ssl support on rhel5 64 bit

Hi Friends, I am trying to configure vsftpd server 2.0.5 on rhel5 64 bit installation. I am getting an error when initiating an ssl connection. I am using filezilla 3.0 ftp client. Client is specifically using passive mode connection. I can see the client is able to connect to the server,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arumon
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read Only user in Vsftpd

HI I have set up vsftp on my Red hat server. Chroot has been set up to control access to each user and folder directories. This all works fine. But i have one directory where i want to chroot but ensure that the ftp access is read only. Any help appreciated thanks Treds (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: treds
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vsftpd

Hello I am new to linux. I have recently installed vsftpd in my Centos server. I have set the local_umask=0037. But now i can't understand how the window users added in a centos server can see each-other folder. ---------- Post updated at 05:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:55 AM... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maham Zahid
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does vsftpd support user access with client certificate with priv/pub key + vsftpd certificate?

:rolleyes:I am trying to setup all certificate based client-server environment in Linux using vsftpd and curl with openssl. I would like to make a user access with vsftpd certificate and user own client certificate (self-signed) with private/public key. I don't see google posts about the my plan... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogogo
4 Replies
PAM_LASTLOG(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						    PAM_LASTLOG(8)

NAME
pam_lastlog - PAM module to display date of last login SYNOPSIS
pam_lastlog.so [debug] [silent] [never] [nodate] [nohost] [noterm] [nowtmp] [noupdate] [showfailed] DESCRIPTION
pam_lastlog is a PAM module to display a line of information about the last login of the user. In addition, the module maintains the /var/log/lastlog file. Some applications may perform this function themselves. In such cases, this module is not necessary. OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. silent Don't inform the user about any previous login, just update the /var/log/lastlog file. never If the /var/log/lastlog file does not contain any old entries for the user, indicate that the user has never previously logged in with a welcome message. nodate Don't display the date of the last login. noterm Don't display the terminal name on which the last login was attempted. nohost Don't indicate from which host the last login was attempted. nowtmp Don't update the wtmp entry. noupdate Don't update any file. showfailed Display number of failed login attempts and the date of the last failed attempt from btmp. The date is not displayed when nodate is specified. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the session module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS Everything was successful. PAM_SERVICE_ERR Internal service module error. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known. EXAMPLES
Add the following line to /etc/pam.d/login to display the last login time of an user: session required pam_lastlog.so nowtmp FILES
/var/log/lastlog Lastlog logging file SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_lastlog was written by Andrew G. Morgan <morgan@kernel.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_LASTLOG(8)