Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find the original file size of encrypted file Post 303000809 by rbatte1 on Thursday 20th of July 2017 06:12:44 AM
Old 07-20-2017
i think that if you have a huge input file, it will take time whatever method you use. There is no table-of-contents idea, so there is no way to know what the expected size will be. Perhaps you could consider a different approach:-
  • Get the file name & size of the plain file before encryption
  • Get a checksum of the file after encryption and link to the above
When you need the information, you can get the values from wherever you stored it a validate that the encrypted file is the same one by generating the current checksum.

It will still read the file to generate the checksum when you want to validate it, but it does not need to do decryption processing, so that might save a bit.

Basically though, large files will take time.......

Robin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find the file by size

Hi, Can somebody PLEASE help me. Suppose I want to find a file which has largest no of bytes in a particular directory, How do i do that. ls -s will give the size of Blocks. But I want the largest sized file and in bytes or KB OR MB. tHANKS IN advanvce. Bye Rooh :( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rooh
1 Replies

2. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find size of a file

Hi, I have to directory /usr/inbound ------------- 10900.txt 10889.txt 109290202.txt I need to create inbound directory and i need to know size of these files one by one if file size is zero i need to print message like "empty file" Please help me how to solve this thanks krish. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittusri9
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find with file size and show the size

Hi All... is the below command be modified in sucha way that i can get the file size along with the name and path of the file the below command only gives me the file location which are more than 100000k...but I want the exact size of the file also.. find / -name "*.*" -size +100000k ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpraharaj84
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scripts not able to make the file to size 0, every times it go back to its original size

#!/bin/sh ########################################################################################################## #This script is being used for AOK application for cleaning up the .out files and zip it under logs directory. # IBM # Created #For pdocap201/pdoca202 .out files for AOK #1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridul10_crj
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CSV file:Find duplicates, save original and duplicate records in a new file

Hi Unix gurus, Maybe it is too much to ask for but please take a moment and help me out. A very humble request to you gurus. I'm new to Unix and I have started learning Unix. I have this project which is way to advanced for me. File format: CSV file File has four columns with no header... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindosu
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to know the Original size of the file without unzipping the File?

Hi, I don't have enough space on my Unix Box. So, I can't unzip the file and check the size of the file. So, I need to know, Is there any command, to check, how much the unzipped file takes after unzipping. Thanks in Advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva Sankar
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get original file size of zipped file

Hi, I have a process which creates files and gzip all the files. Next day, i need to get the file sizes ( before zip size ) of all the gzipped files. Is there any way i can get the original file sizes of gzipped files. Gunzipping the files, getting the file size and gzipping again is not the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: forums123456
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How To Find GPG Keys In Encrypted File With Out Decrypting it?

Hello All, Is there a way to determine how many public keys are embedded or used to encrypt in a GPG file with out decrypting the actual encrypted file. I know i can see the keys & email id's used when we decrypt it, but curious to find a command if any to know with out decrypting the actual file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
2 Replies
CRYPTDIR(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  CRYPTDIR(1)

NAME
cryptdir - encrypt/decrypt all files in a directory SYNOPSIS
cryptdir [ dir ] decryptdir [ dir ] INTRODUCTION
cryptdir encrypts all files in the current directory (or the given directory if one is provided as an argument). When called as decryptdir (i.e., same program, different name), all files are decrypted. NOTES
When encrypting, you are prompted twice for the password as a precautionary measure. It would be a disaster to encrypt files with a pass- word that wasn't what you intended. In contrast, when decrypting, you are only prompted once. If it's the wrong password, no harm done. Encrypted files have the suffix .crypt appended. This prevents files from being encrypted twice. The suffix is removed upon decryption. Thus, you can easily add files to an encrypted directory and run cryptdir on it without worrying about the already encrypted files. BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 January 1993 CRYPTDIR(1)