Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Selecting latest entry in the log file Post 303000650 by simpsa27 on Monday 17th of July 2017 06:26:12 AM
Old 07-17-2017
Thank you so much Ravinder!

That works just how I need it. Fantatsic.

Can I ask you to explain it so I can get a better understanding!

Cheers
Alex

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

latest status of an field in a log file

Hi I have got a log file which is like: id status --------------------- 12345 status1.true 12345 status2.true 12345 status3.false 12345 status4.true 23452 status5.true 23452 status6.true 23452 status7.false 65243 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i pick the latest log file as per below

in the below .. i want to pick the latest logfile which is having JPS.PR inside.. that means i want particularly "spgport040408041223.log:@@@@@@@@ 04:13:09 Adding: JPS.PR." which is latest among these.. is it possible to compare the current time with logfile time ? reptm@xblr0758rop>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl's buffered I/O is causing me to miss latest log file entries in log colorizer. How to fix?

I've been finding myself using a log file colorizer written in perl to reformat and colorize the output from many different programs. Mainly, however, I use it to make the output from "tail -f" commands more readable. The base perl script I use is based on "colorlogs.pl" available from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcsteiner
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing duplicate rows & selecting only latest date

Gurus, From a file I need to remove duplicate rows based on the first column data but also we need to consider a date column where we need to keep the latest date (13th column). Ex: Input File: Output File: I know how to take out the duplicates but I couldn't figure out... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Crontab latest entry disappearing

The latest crontab entry is disappearing time and again on acceptance and production environment. the same entry gets deleted. any pointers to what might be causing this issue? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluenavi
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Crontab latest entry disappearing. plz help

The latest crontab entry is disappearing time and again on acceptance and production environment. the same entry gets deleted. any pointers to what might be causing this issue? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluenavi
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selecting the file of latest Date

Hi Folks, I have one query that there is a folder in which daily several logs files are getting created , I reached to that location through putty but what I observer that 10 files of different date are been created with same name , what I need to see is the latest file ...let say the location is ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KAREENA18
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to grep certain entry out of log file

This one is a bit too challenging for me... Hopefully you guys can help. Let's say I have a log file called: "$MW_HOME/user_projects/domains/IDMDomain/servers/wls_ods?/logs/wls_ods1-diagnostic.log" In this log file I want to search for "DIP-10219". When I execute this $ cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: exm
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Selecting specific variable in log file

Hi there I am trying to look for a specific word in the log file and I am aware this can be done by grep for example. As there will be multiple entries for this I want to grep the last one to enter the log... how would I go about this - would I have to use tail? Thanks in advance Alex (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpsa27
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor and capture the latest entry from the log file

Hi, I want to monitor a log file using tail -f command and search for a specific string on the most recent entry from the file. If the search string matches with the most recent or last line from the file, I want send an email to the people with the message. tail -f service.log|tail -n 1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
5 Replies
explain_fopen_or_die(3) 				     Library Functions Manual					   explain_fopen_or_die(3)

NAME
explain_fopen_or_die - open file and report errors SYNOPSIS
#include <libexplain/fopen.h> FILE *explain_fopen_or_die(const char *pathname, const char *flags); DESCRIPTION
The explain_fopen_or_die() function opens the file whose name is the string pointed to by pathname and associates a stream with it. See fopen(3) for more information. This is a quick and simple way for programs to constitently report file open errors in a consistent and detailed fahion. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion explain_fopen_or_die returns a FILE pointer. If an error occurs, explain_fopen will be called to explain the error, which will be printed onto stderr, and then the process will termi- nate by calling exit(EXIT_FAILURE). SEE ALSO
fopen(3) stream open functions explain_fopen(3) explain fopen(3) errors exit(2) terminate the calling process COPYRIGHT
libexplain version 0.52 Copyright (C) 2008 Peter Miller AUTHOR
Written by Peter Miller <pmiller@opensource.org.au> explain_fopen_or_die(3)