Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Calculate total memory using free -m Post 303000547 by sam@sam on Friday 14th of July 2017 02:09:31 AM
Old 07-14-2017
Perfect its working
Thanks you RavinderSingh, for your help.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to check free/total Memory in AIX

Friends , i have a question how to check the total memomry and free memory in AIX, We have vmstat ,svmon and topas commands.Which command among the will give the true figure. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vimalbhan
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk help needed to calculate total

Hi all, I have a flat file like 10 steven 25 mike 47 Charles 127 Nancy 34 steven 23 mike 67 Charles 7761 Nancy 8 steven 54 mike 88 Charles 1267 Nancy I need to calculate the total of steven and all the members , for this I am using like grep "`sed -n 1p patterns.txt`"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthilkumar_ak
7 Replies

3. Solaris

How to find Total and Free Physical Memory and Logical Memory in SOLARIS 9

Hi, Im working on Solaris 9 on SPARC-32 bit running on an Ultra-80, and I have to find out the following:- 1. Total Physical Memory in the system(total RAM). 2. Available Physical Memory(i.e. RAM Usage) 3. Total (Logical) Memory in the system 4. Available (Logical) Memory. I know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
4 Replies

4. Solaris

how to get the more memory free space (see memory free column)

Hi all, Could please let me know how to get the more memory free space (not added the RAM) in local zone. -bash-3.00# vmstat 2 5 kthr memory page disk faults cpu r b w swap free re mf pi po fr de sr s0 s1 s1 s1 in sy cs us sy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murthy76
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

6. AIX

How much total and free memory I have in my aix 5.3 server?

good morning, how I can know how much total and free memory I have in my AIX 5.3 server, and this is shown in megabytes or gigabytes? Thank you very much. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total value from a row

HI I have a file # cat marks.txt MARKS LIST 2013 Name english french chinese latin total_marks wer 34 45 67 23 wqa 12 39 10 56 wsy 23 90 23 78 Now i need to find the total marks of each student using... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nagios script to get total and free memory

Hi Experts, need some help. I`m trying to write a shell script to get free, used and total memory on our linux servers. It's working great, but i need follow some standards to make it a real nagios plugin. It's pretty simple, you just type two parameters to the script, check_ram -w 80 -c 90... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: berveglieri
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate the total

Hi All , I have the following script as below , I tried to modify to meet the requirement , could someone help ? very thanks ================================================================================================ while read STR NAME; do Total=0 MyString="$STR" GetData () {... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
18 Replies
FREE(1) 							   User Commands							   FREE(1)

NAME
free - Display amount of free and used memory in the system SYNOPSIS
free [options] DESCRIPTION
free displays the total amount of free and used physical and swap memory in the system, as well as the buffers and caches used by the ker- nel. The information is gathered by parsing /proc/meminfo. The displayed columns are: total Total installed memory (MemTotal and SwapTotal in /proc/meminfo) used Used memory (calculated as total - free - buffers - cache) free Unused memory (MemFree and SwapFree in /proc/meminfo) shared Memory used (mostly) by tmpfs (Shmem in /proc/meminfo) buffers Memory used by kernel buffers (Buffers in /proc/meminfo) cache Memory used by the page cache and slabs (Cached and SReclaimable in /proc/meminfo) buff/cache Sum of buffers and cache available Estimation of how much memory is available for starting new applications, without swapping. Unlike the data provided by the cache or free fields, this field takes into account page cache and also that not all reclaimable memory slabs will be reclaimed due to items being in use (MemAvailable in /proc/meminfo, available on kernels 3.14, emulated on kernels 2.6.27+, otherwise the same as free) OPTIONS
-b, --bytes Display the amount of memory in bytes. -k, --kibi Display the amount of memory in kibibytes. This is the default. -m, --mebi Display the amount of memory in mebibytes. -g, --gibi Display the amount of memory in gibibytes. --tebi Display the amount of memory in tebibytes. --pebi Display the amount of memory in pebibytes. --kilo Display the amount of memory in kilobytes. Implies --si. --mega Display the amount of memory in megabytes. Implies --si. --giga Display the amount of memory in gigabytes. Implies --si. --tera Display the amount of memory in terabytes. Implies --si. --peta Display the amount of memory in petabytes. Implies --si. -h, --human Show all output fields automatically scaled to shortest three digit unit and display the units of print out. Following units are used. B = bytes K = kibibyte M = mebibyte G = gibibyte T = tebibyte P = pebibyte If unit is missing, and you have exbibyte of RAM or swap, the number is in tebibytes and columns might not be aligned with header. -w, --wide Switch to the wide mode. The wide mode produces lines longer than 80 characters. In this mode buffers and cache are reported in two separate columns. -c, --count count Display the result count times. Requires the -s option. -l, --lohi Show detailed low and high memory statistics. -s, --seconds delay Continuously display the result delay seconds apart. You may actually specify any floating point number for delay using either . or , for decimal point. usleep(3) is used for microsecond resolution delay times. --si Use kilo, mega, giga etc (power of 1000) instead of kibi, mebi, gibi (power of 1024). -t, --total Display a line showing the column totals. --help Print help. -V, --version Display version information. FILES
/proc/meminfo memory information BUGS
The value for the shared column is not available from kernels before 2.6.32 and is displayed as zero. Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> SEE ALSO
ps(1), slabtop(1), top(1), vmstat(8). procps-ng 2016-06-03 FREE(1)