Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find all lines in file such that each word on that line appears in at least n lines of the file Post 302999202 by RudiC on Thursday 15th of June 2017 08:26:20 AM
Old 06-15-2017
No reason to become ironic. This forum has a high reputation of NOT helping students and / or candidates cheat their way through classwork or exams, so questions of that kind are adequate and accepted.

Still: welcome to the forum.

For your problem, try
Code:
awk '{CNT[$1]++; CNT[$3]++;CNT[$5]++; CNT[$7]++} END {for (c in CNT) if (CNT[c] > 3) print c, "occurs", CNT[c], "times."}' file
15^3 occurs 4 times.
5^4 occurs 8 times.
5^5 occurs 21 times.
5^6 occurs 5 times.

It doesn't check if terms occur twice in one line, but the chances of that happening are quite low, I believe.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shellscript to find a line in between a particular set of lines of a text file

i have a file a.txt and following is only one portion. I want to search <branch value="/dev36/AREA/" include="yes"></branch> present in between <template_file name="Approve External" path="core/approve/bin" and </template_file> where the no of lines containing "<branch value= " is increasing ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find 5 lines and replace with 18 line in sql file where it contains multiple blocks.

My sql file xyz_abc.sql in this file there are multiple sql block in this block I need to find the following block rem Subset Rows (&&tempName.*) CREATE VIEW &&tempName.* AS SELECT * FROM &&tempName.* WHERE f is not null and replace with following code rem Subset Rows... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix help to find blank lines in a file and print numbers on that line

Hi, I would like to know how to solve one of my problems using expert unix commands. I have a file with occasional blank lines; for example; dertu frthu fghtu frtty frtgy frgtui frgtu ghrye frhutp frjuf I need to edit the file so that the file looks like this; (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find uniq lines in file, using the first field of line

Hello all, new to unix and have just found the forum. I think I will be here quite often, and hope that in time i will be able to provide soem help, role on not being a newbie anymore :) I have a question which iI am hoping someone could help me with. If i have a file with lines in in thus... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: grom
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

print lines from a file containing key word

i have a file containing over 1 million records,and i want to print about 300,000 line containing a some specific words. file has content. eg 1,rrt,234 3,fgt,678 4,crf,456 5,cde,drt 6,cfg,123 and i want to print the line with the word fgt,crf this is just an example,my file is so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a word in a file that appears next to a given keyword

Hi Experts, I have a file which contains some text. i need to print the word next to a given keyword. Please help. Ex: test.txt ===================== NEXT HOST ===================== AEADBAS001 access-list 1 permit xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ip access-list extended BLA_Outgoing_Filter... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get last lines of file after last line with word TEST

i need to get least lines of file after last word TEST in file, and send that lines to mail example of file structure: TEST 10.10.2010 jdfjdnjfndjfndnfkdk djfjdnfjkdjkfnjkdfk jdfjdjfnjdjnfjkdnfjk TEST 11.10.2010 jdjfnjdnfdkdfjdfjdnk jdnfjdnjkfndnfjdnfjk fjdnfjkndnfdfnjdnfjk TEST... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: waso
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read all lines after a string appears in the file.

Hi All, I want to read all lines after a perticular string {SET UP VALUES}apprears in the file. SET UP values contains direcory, number of days and file type. Step1: Read all lines below SET UP VALUES string. Step2: If set up values are not present in each record then read from default... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find a string in a line in UNIX file and delete that line and previous 3 lines ?

Hi , i have a file with data as below.This is same file. But actual file contains to many rows. i want to search for a string "Field 039 00" and delete that line and previous 3 lines in that file.. Can some body suggested me how can i do using either sed or awk command ? Field 004... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadlamudy
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search for word in huge logfile and need to continue to print few lines from that line til find date

Guys i need an idea for one logic..in shell scripting am struggling with a logic...So the thing is... i need to search for a word in a huge log file and i need to continue to print few more lines from that line and the consecutive line has to end when it finds the line with date..because i know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prathi
1 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - differential file comparator SYNOPSIS
diff [ -efbh ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Diff tells what lines must be changed in two files to bring them into agreement. If file1 (file2) is `-', the standard input is used. If file1 (file2) is a directory, then a file in that directory whose file-name is the same as the file-name of file2 (file1) is used. The normal output contains lines of these forms: n1 a n3,n4 n1,n2 d n3 n1,n2 c n3,n4 These lines resemble ed commands to convert file1 into file2. The numbers after the letters pertain to file2. In fact, by exchanging `a' for `d' and reading backward one may ascertain equally how to convert file2 into file1. As in ed, identical pairs where n1 = n2 or n3 = n4 are abbreviated as a single number. Following each of these lines come all the lines that are affected in the first file flagged by `<', then all the lines that are affected in the second file flagged by `>'. The -b option causes trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) to be ignored and other strings of blanks to compare equal. The -e option produces a script of a, c and d commands for the editor ed, which will recreate file2 from file1. The -f option produces a similar script, not useful with ed, in the opposite order. In connection with -e, the following shell program may help maintain multiple versions of a file. Only an ancestral file ($1) and a chain of version-to-version ed scripts ($2,$3,...) made by diff need be on hand. A `latest version' appears on the standard output. (shift; cat $*; echo '1,$p') | ed - $1 Except in rare circumstances, diff finds a smallest sufficient set of file differences. Option -h does a fast, half-hearted job. It works only when changed stretches are short and well separated, but does work on files of unlimited length. Options -e and -f are unavailable with -h. FILES
/tmp/d????? /usr/lib/diffh for -h SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), ed(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no differences, 1 for some, 2 for trouble. BUGS
Editing scripts produced under the -e or -f option are naive about creating lines consisting of a single `.'. DIFF(1)