Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Best way to transfer files to remote FTPS server instead of local FTPS server Post 302999143 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 14th of June 2017 06:51:26 AM
Old 06-14-2017
Jim's suggestion is a good one, however if they are large files and you read them more than a few times, then you might just create yourself a bottleneck. For a read once on each client, then use Jim's suggestion.

Perhaps your write to the central file server would be best done with rsync so that only data that has changed gets written across the network each time you need to update it, assuming that the source file is not removed & re-written each time.

You also have to consider how your clients will behave if the file is incomplete when they try to read it. Perhaps a flag file on the central server so that the other clients will only read a file when it's present. Your write process would then need to delete/rename the flag file before it starts re-writing the data file and then recreate it when it is complete.

When you say that the files are remote, if you mean physically remote (different city/country etc.) then your biggest issue will be the network link.

Some things to consider:-
  • Where is the data source?
  • Where are the clients?
  • How much data are we talking?
  • How often will it be written?
  • How often will it be read?
  • Will a file be ignored if has not been updated?
  • What is the network like?
These need to be answered however you choose to implement this.

There are (probably expensive) technologies that can replicate data between remote sites if that is your need, but it then depends on what you have already available, e.g. SANs, ZFS/NAS, etc.

Can you expand a little more on these?

Kind regards,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP multiple files from remote server to local server

Hi, I am facing a weired problem in my FTP script. I want to transfer multiple files from remote server to local server everyday, using mget * in my script. I also, want to send an email for successful or failed FTP. My script works for file transfer, but it don't send any mail. There is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: berlin_germany
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Transfer file from local unix server to remote server

want to remove the thread thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer file from local unix server to remote server

want to remove this thread. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare zip files from a local to remote server

Good evening I need your help pease I know there are 2 commands(diff, or cp) to compare files in a directory. but the question arises: 1. can i compare zip files or ive got to unzip them? 2. how can i compare 2 files from a local to a remote server? (is there any special commad or ive got... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy files from remote server to local?

Hi experts, I 'm newbie to unix world, now I have task to copy the latest files from remote server to my local. I believe this must be very common request in this community. I want you do it one more time for me please. My requirement is something like this: I receive files in the below... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: parpaa
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Script to get files from remote server to local server through sftp without prompting for password

Hi, I am trying to automate the process of fetching files from remote server to local server through sftp. I have the username and password for the remote solaris server. But I need to give password manually everytime i run the script. Can anyone help me in automating the script such that it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lftp for a remote server which uses FTPS

Hi All, I am new to SHell scripting, can someone please help me with the below requirement. 1) LFTP a file to a remote server which supports FTPS. My current enviroment is Sun Solaris 5.10 2) I need to incorporate this in a shell which is currently sending files to a server that accepts... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subbu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do I require remote login access to a windows server to transfer files from a UNIX server

Hi All I need to transfer a file from a UNIX server to a windows server. I saw that it is possible to do this using scp command by looking at the forum listed below: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting to transfer files from one to another server through ftps

Hi Guyz ,, I'm an ERP functional guy , I really need to automate a script which required a shell script but have a little knowledge in shell scripting. I need my generated files to be zipped first in one directory lets say (xyz) and then it needs to transfer another ftp server in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shogundion
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File transfer using FTPS(SSL)

Hi Team, I am currently working on an integration project where in we have planned to receive files from an external source onto our system via FTPS(SSL). I am new to this part and would like to know the points for consideration and the points to learn to get this done. The files we receive from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rads
1 Replies
nfs(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						    nfs(7)

NAME
nfs, NFS - network file system DESCRIPTION
The Network File System (NFS) allows a client node to perform transparent file access over the network. By using NFS, a client node oper- ates on files residing on a variety of servers and server architectures, and across a variety of operating systems. File access calls on the client (such as read requests) are converted to NFS protocol requests and sent to the server system over the network. The server receives the request, performs the actual file system operation, and sends a response back to the client. NFS operates in a stateless manner using remote procedure calls (RPC) built on top of an external data representation (XDR) protocol. The RPC protocol enables version and authentication parameters to be exchanged for security over the network. A server grants access to a specific file system to clients by adding an entry for that file system to the server's file. A client gains access to that file system using the command to request a file handle for the file system (see mount(1M)). (A file handle is the means by which NFS identifies remote files.) Once a client mounts the file system, the server issues a file handle to the client for each file (or directory) the client accesses. If the file is removed on the server side, the file handle becomes stale (dissociated with a known file), and the server returns an error with set to A server can also be a client with respect to file systems it has mounted over the network; however, its clients cannot directly access those file systems. If a client attempts to mount a file system for which the server is an NFS client, the server returns with set to The client must mount the file system directly from the server on which the file system resides. The user ID and group ID mappings must be the same between client and server. However, the server maps UID 0 (the superuser) to UID -2 before performing access checks for a client. This process prevents gaining superuser privileges on remote file systems. RETURN VALUE
Generally, physical disk I/O errors detected at the server are returned to the client for action. If the server is down or inaccessible, the client receives the message: where is the hostname of the NFS server. The client continues resending the request until it receives an acknowledgement from the server. Therefore, the server can crash or power down, and come back up without any special action required by the client. The client process requesting the I/O will block, but remains sensitive to signals (unless mounted with the option) until the server recovers. However, if mounted with the option, the client process returns an error instead of waiting indefinitely. AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
exportfs(1M), share(1M), mount(1M), mount_nfs(1M), nfsd(1M), mount(2), fstab(4), dfstab(4). nfs(7)