Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Speed up extraction od tar.bz2 files using bash Post 302999118 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 13th of June 2017 11:50:33 AM
Old 06-13-2017
Can I just check that this files are local and not NFS mounted. If they are remote, then you are dependant on the network too, along with a dollop of memory to work on the file. You will also lose any caching that could help you.

If the files are local, then ignore me.

Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extracting from tar.bz2

hi could any body tell me how to extract .tar.bz2 files i tried using tar but in vain. i found bzip2 in googling but i could not find it on machine unix tru64 please suggest. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raom
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two tar.bz2

Hello, I am using a bash script to archive directories of text files located in ${root}: tar cf ${root}.tar ${root}* bzip2 ${root}.tar I'd like to compare the newly produced archive two.tar.bz2 with the second latest one.tar.bz2. cmp one.tar.bz2 two.tar.bz2 returns one.tar.bz2 two.tar.bz2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCR
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize/speed-up perl extraction

Hi, Is there a way I can extract my data faster. You know my data is 1.2 GB text file with 8Million rows with 38 columns/fields. Imagine how huge this is. How I can optimized the data extraction using perl. That is why I'm creating a script to filter only those informations that I need. Is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinpe
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to unpack and install .tar.bz2 library ?

Hi, I am trying to unpack and install .tar.bz2 library. I was told to cd / and than tar -jxvf /source-of-library-file?...tar.bz2 to get files unpacked and installed into / Darius $ pwd / $ $ tar -jxvf /tmp/local/root/ncurses-dev-addon.tar.bz2 ncurses-dev-addon/... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put one tar.bz2 file to another tar.bz2

Hi experts, I have two tar.bz2 file,: a.tar.bz2 and b.tar.bz2 I want to put a.tar.bz2 in to b.tar.bz2 eg: b.tar.bz2 only have one file named "b.c" contained I want it contain "b.c and a.tar.bz2" I don't want to decompress the b.tar.bz2 to achieve this, I try with "cat a.tar.bz2 >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Download firefox-19.0.2.tar.bz2

Does anyone know a reliable source to download firefox-19.0.2.tar.bz2 from? I would think you be able to download from firefox or mozilla somewhere. I haven't gotten anything useful from my google searches. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Error messages while extracting tar.bz2 in Ubuntu

while extracting a tar.bz2 file using the command tar xjf git.tar.bz2 I received error messages that shows Cannot hard link to and Cannot create symlink to error messages what will be the reason for those error messages. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravana krishn
4 Replies

8. Programming

Aria2c to download and extract. tar.bz2

I am using aria2c to download a .tar.bz2 and trying to extract it in the same command. I can download the file but not extract it. I can also manually extract the tar.bz2., but not in the same command. Thank you :). aria2c -x8 -l log.txt -c -d /xx/xx/xxx --use-head=true --http-user "<user>" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash not removing all .tar.bz2 files after extracting

In the bash below each .tar.bz2 (usually 2) are extracted and then the original .tar.bz2 is removed. However, only one (presumably the first extracted) is being removed, however both are extracted. I am not sure why this is? Thank you :). tar.bz2 folders in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
mountall(1M)															      mountall(1M)

NAME
mountall, umountall - mount and unmount multiple file systems SYNOPSIS
FStype] [file_system_table | FStype] DESCRIPTION
is used to mount file systems according to file_system_table. By default, is the file_system_table. If a dash is specified, reads file_system_table from the standard input; the standard input must be in the same format as the Before each file system is mounted, a check is done using (see fsck(1M)) to ensure that the file system is mountable. If the file system is not mountable, it is repaired by before the mount is attempted. causes all mounted file systems except the non-removable file systems such as to be unmounted. Options and recognize the following options: Specify the file system type (FStype) to be mounted or unmounted. Specify action on local file systems only. Specify action on remote file systems only. Send a signal to processes that have files opened. Attempt to mount all the unmounted file systems. This option will not perform the file system consistency check and repair. Perform the file system consistency check and repair on all unmounted file system. This option will not mount the file systems. DIAGNOSTICS
Error and warning messages may originate from or See fsck(1M), mount(1M), or fuser(1M) to interpret the error and warning messages. EXAMPLES
Mount all unmounted file systems listed in Mount all local file systems listed in Mount all remote file systems listed in Mount all local hfs file systems: Unmount all NFS file systems and kill any processes that have files opened in the file system: WARNINGS
especially with the option, should be used with extreme caution, because it can cause severe damage. The option may not be available in future releases. may not be effective with some cases of LOFS file systems. FILES
Static information about the file systems Mounted file system table SEE ALSO
fsck(1M), mount(1M), fuser(1M), mnttab(4), fstab(4), signal(2) mountall(1M)