Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issue in awk parsing under while loop Post 302999052 by Aia on Tuesday 13th of June 2017 12:15:55 AM
Old 06-13-2017
I know you said "[you're] trying to parse a grep output using awk", but what are you, ultimately, trying to accomplish. What's the end goal?

What's the result you expect out of this?
Code:
`grep -w "dict" file.txt | awk -F"=" '{ print $2}' | awk -F":" '{ print $(echo "$Nos") }'`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing logfiles (performance issue)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi All, I am reading some logfiles and parsing data and printing to some textfile. Here is my code OLDIFS=$IFS IFS=' ' # just a newline, in single quotes while read data do if then #Parsing the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with parsing config variables

I am using MKS tool kit on windows server. One config variable is defined in windows environment and I am trying to use that variable. # Below RootDir is defined in windows RootDir="\\f01\var" # in unix script details="$RootDir/src|$RootDir/tgt" src=`echo $details|awk -F '|' '{print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhukalyan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing issue

Scripting geeks please advice how this script should parse the input parameter to File Name convention to search the strings. Enclosed is the basic view of the search architecture. ##******************************************************************************************************* ## ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop with awk issue

Hi folks. I am trying to use a while loop along with awk to get the colums where 2 specific words are found. Here is the output of the command i run where i need to pull the column numbers if specific words are found: State Type Rebal Sector Block AU Total_MB Free_MB ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop issue

Hi I am not able to solve this minor issue even after a lot of trial! Will be thankful if you can help me out. This is part of a awk script and the loop is self-explanatory - num_null_key=0 #for counting the number of null keys num_non_null_key=0 #for counting the number of non null... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsinha
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop, awk command issue

limit.csv data -------------- 5600050 38Nhava 400077 27Bomay rate.txt data ------------- 38NhaVA 27BomaY 27Bomay below is my script: for i in `cat limit.csv` do b=`awk '{print $1}' $i` (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: p_satyambabu
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with awk script parsing log file

Hello All, I am trying to parse a log file and i got this code from one of the good forum colleagues, However i realised later there is a problem with this awk script, being naive to awk world wanted to see if you guys can help me out. AWK script: awk '$1 ~ "^WRITER_" {p=1;next}... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - 2 files comparison without for loop - multi-line issue

Greetings Experts, I need to handle the views created over monthly retention tables for which every new table in YYYYMMDD format, there is equivalent view created and the older table which might be dropped, the view over it has to be re-created over a dummy table so that it doesn't fail.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a control file loop

Hi, Let's say I have a control file like this: RHEL apple "echo apple" RHEL bravo "ls -l bravo*" RHEL church "chmod church.txt" SUSE drive "chown user1 drive.txt" SUSE eagle "echo "eagle flies"" SUSE feather "ls -l feather*" HP-UX google "sed 's/^Google.*$/&\ ACTION: go to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Gamemaster
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing via sed issue

sorry I messed up the last post with too many mistakes and corrections so I closed it and opening a new one which should be clear to everyone .my apologies to the admins. I am using sun solaris and Linux , what I want is SED to print any string (or output it to a file preferably) that does... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boncuk
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)