Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Passwd without prompt
Operating Systems SCO Passwd without prompt Post 302998786 by jochen on Wednesday 7th of June 2017 10:53:15 AM
Old 06-07-2017
Passwd without prompt

Hi,
I 'd like add a user on multiple servers and automatize password's prompt.
Code:
echo "$PASSWORD" | passwd --stdin "$user"

I have tried this command to pass the password through the pipe but that isn't word with passwd.

Someone know who automatize this step ?
Thank you.
(Openserver 6.0)

Last edited by rbatte1; 06-08-2017 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: Added CODE tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

passwd

I have to change more then 200 User at once the password (security-dday). The programm passwd will answers (new password + again) How can i do this in a script? thanks for answers (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erwin Stocker
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passwd

hello, I don't why I can't change the password, when ever I try to run passwd I get the problem??!!! unixws1:ldb> passwd passwd: Changing password for ldb Permission denied regards, me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoquest
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

etc/passwd

Can anyone explain the second and third fields in /etc/passwd. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nguda
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

passwd

Dear frnds, I have 250 users in passwd file with different passwords, how i can change the password to username+99. pls help out. regards (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jestinabel
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

wc /etc/passwd

I have left unix for a long time.Almost forget everthing.:( Anybody can tell me what is the meaning? wc /etc/passwd 9 16 1155 /etc/passwd and $ wc -l /etc/passwd wc -l /etc/passwd 9 /etc/passwd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
1 Replies

6. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

7. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

passwd -s

Hi, I've a problem regarding understanding of result of passwd -s command. > passwd -s abc PS 05/24/12 0 441 I'm not a super user. But i need to write a simple code for checking password expiry and send an email to the team id. Is there any other command or way to achieve this?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_bd
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Change the % prompt to - prompt in UNIX?

how to Change the % prompt to - prompt in unix :wall: ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 AM ---------- How To display the last modification time of any file in unix ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:40 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjiri sawant
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt

Hi, on sunfire v890 unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt, i have executed the command break. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies
SHADOW(5)							File Formats Manual							 SHADOW(5)

NAME
shadow - encrypted password file DESCRIPTION
shadow contains the encrypted password information for user's accounts and optional the password aging information. Included is Login name Encrypted password Days since Jan 1, 1970 that password was last changed Days before password may be changed Days after which password must be changed Days before password is to expire that user is warned Days after password expires that account is disabled Days since Jan 1, 1970 that account is disabled A reserved field The password field must be filled. The encryped password consists of 13 to 24 characters from the 64 character alphabet a thru z, A thru Z, 0 thru 9, . and /. Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. The date of the last password change is given as the number of days since Jan 1, 1970. The password may not be changed again until the proper number of days have passed, and must be changed after the maximum number of days. If the minimum number of days required is greater than the maximum number of day allowed, this password may not be changed by the user. An account is considered to be inactive and is disabled if the password is not changed within the specified number of days after the pass- word expires. An account will also be disabled on the specified day regardless of other password expiration information. This information supercedes any password or password age information present in /etc/passwd. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shadow - encrypted user passwords SEE ALSO
chage(1), login(1), passwd(1), su(1), passwd(5), pwconv(8), pwunconv(8), sulogin(8) AUTHOR
Julianne Frances Haugh (jockgrrl@ix.netcom.com) SHADOW(5)