Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add filenames to top of each files in a directory Post 302997711 by RavinderSingh13 on Thursday 18th of May 2017 11:52:32 AM
Old 05-18-2017
Hello baris35,

Could you please try following(I haven't tested it though).
Code:
for file in *
do
    awk 'NR==1{print FILENAME} 1' $file > $file".tmp"
    mv $file".tmp" $file
done

Thanks,
R. Singh
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping thru filenames in a directory

Hi, i am very new to UNIX, i am trying to loop thru the files in a directory. I got the filenames into a variable using $files=`ls` Here $files will contain <filename1> <filename2> <filename3> I want to get one filename at a time and append it to some some text. forexample, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: silas.john
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenating the filenames in a directory

hi all, I have a requirement where in i have to read all the filenames based on a pattern from a directory and concatenate all these file names and write it to another file. i am using the following code to do this var1='' for filename in $_DIR/${FILE_NAME}* do if if then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvuradi
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change all filenames in a directory

I have a directory of files and each file has a random 5 digit string at the beginning that needs to be removed. Plus, there are some files that will be identically named after the 5 digit string is removed and I want those eliminated or moved. any ideas? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: crumb
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding characters at the top of all files in directory

Hi Unix experts; I have 30000 files in a directory and am willing to do the following changes on each of them. The input files look like the following: 1 , 2 3 , 4 5 , 6 7 , 8 9 , 10 the output will have # in top 10 lines, insert space instead of comma. This looks like: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nxp
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use filenames to create directory.

I have many files similar to this one: AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf. I want a directory named AC41 and to put the file AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf into the directory. Next, a directory named AC85 and put the file into it. Also, continue to cycle through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ndnkyd
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filenames change in a directory

Hi I have abc_ahb_one.v abc_ahb_two.v abc_ahb_three.v ........l like this -----upto abc_ahb_ninety.v in some directory. I need to change those file names to like below. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneethk
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] print all filenames in directory

Hello, I was given a (I suppose) a simple task which I don't know how to do. Before coming here I have read a dozen of awk tutorials (full read, not just line-skipping) but I still don't know how to do this. Task: Write an script file 'check.awk' with a parameter current directory that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0dehunter
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing filenames in my current directory

Can someone give me a tip on writing a script that, for each file in the working directory, prints the filename, the # of lines, and the # of words to stdout? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flash123
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

There are multiple filenames in the directory.How to return the the lastest files for each file name

there are mutiple file nams in the directory. How to return the the lastest files for each file name. ex. abc1234_050201 abc1234_050206 abc1234_050208 xyz34_050204 xyz34_050210 xyz34_050218 thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grand_sam
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I custom sort the files in a directory using the filenames in a text file.?

Hi all, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMusunuru
5 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)