Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Mail sent from variable is not aligned in shell script Post 302997627 by viay on Wednesday 17th of May 2017 01:30:58 PM
Old 05-17-2017
Code:
Yes. But we need more information.

With this latest version of your script we know that the text being sent is correctly formatted and that your recipient's mail reader is reformatting the text in the message before displaying it.

What application is being used by abc@gmail.com to read mail?

It uses MS Outlook,

Code:
If the mail reader being used is expecting HTML input, the thread Sendmail ignoring line endings
might provide the information we need to work around your problem by changing the line:

Yeah, I've gone through the thread Sendmail ignoring line endings and found that

Code:
The only one NOT adhering to this convention is perhaps your mail reader program (more correctly: mail user agent), which is probably Microsoft Outlook or similar crap. Because against all convention, laid down in RFCs, M$$ once decreed that email is not any longer plain ASCII text by default with MIME-parts in HTML being allowed, but in fact email is HTML from the start (to be precise: not exactly HTML, but what M$$ took as being being HTML, which wasn't quite up to the standard either).

then I tried with your script,

Code:
Code:
        printf '%s\n' "${alertlist[@]}" | mail -s "ALERT:  Running out of space" $maillist;

to something like:

Code:
        { echo '<HTML><BODY>'
          printf '%s<br />\n' "${alertlist[@]}"
          echo '</HTML></BODY>'
        } | mail -s "ALERT:  Running out of space" $maillist;

This is my updated script part
Code:
if [ ${#alertlist} -gt 0 ]; then
     #printf '%s\n' "${alertlist[@]}" | mail -s "ALERT:  Running out of space" $maillist;
        {
          printf '%s' "${alertlist[@]}\n"
        } | mail -s "ALERT:  Running out of space" $maillist;
      echo "Following text sent as body of mail to $maillist:"
      printf '%s\n' "${alertlist[@]}"
fi                     #alertlist holds the values to send mail.

I removed
Code:
echo '<HTML><BODY>'

Because it prints in mail,

the output is
Code:
 <HTML><BODY>
Running out of space "/u02 (94%)" on localhost.local as on Wed May 17  <br />Running out of space "/u05 (99%)" on localhost.local as on Wed May 17<br /></HTML></BODY>

am using MS Outlook 2013, what it does seems it prints all the line along <HTML>

---------- Post updated at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:58 PM ----------

Code:
export maillist=abc@gmail.com;
#df -PH /d04 /d05 /u01 /export | grep -vE '^Filesystem|none|cdrom'|awk '{ print $5 " " $6 }' | while read output;
df -PH | grep -vE '^Filesystem|none|cdrom|swdepot'|awk '{ print $5 " " $6 }' > $HOME/monitor/diskcheck.log;

unset usep usep1
declare -A usep usep1

if [ -s "$HOME/monitor/log/disk_alert.log" ]; then
  #Getting variables and compare with old
  while read -r pct fs
  do	pct=${pct%\%}
	usep["$fs"]=$pct
	printf '%s(%s) ' "$fs" "$pct"
  done < "$HOME/monitor/diskcheck.log"
  echo
  while read -r pct fs
  do	pct=${pct%\%}
	usep1["$fs"]=$pct
	printf '%s(%s) ' "$fs" "$pct"
  done < "$HOME/monitor/log/disk_alert.log"
  echo
else
  cp "$HOME/monitor/diskcheck.log" "$HOME/monitor/log/disk_alert.log"
  # Note that if disckcheck.log and disk_alert.log are identical, usep[$i] can
  #   never be greater than usep1[$i], so we might as well quit now.
  exit
fi

unset alertlist
for fs in ${!usep[@]}; do
        if [ ${usep["$fs"]} -gt 80 ]; then
                if [ ${usep["$fs"]} -gt ${usep1["$fs"]} ]; then
                        # Temp to store current percentage diff and partition to store in a variable.
                        tmp="$(echo -e "Running out of space \"$i (${usep["$fs"]}%%)\" on $(hostname) as on $(date)")";
                        echo "$tmp"
                        #tmp=$(printf "%s\n" "(${usep["$fs"]}%%) percent used on $i");
                        alertlist=("${alertlist[@]}" "$tmp")
                fi
        fi
done

if [ ${#alertlist} -gt 0 ]; then
	{ echo '<HTML><BODY>'
	  printf '%s<br />\n' "${alertlist[@]}"
	  echo '</HTML></BODY>'
	} | mail -s "ALERT:  Running out of space" $maillist
	echo "Following text sent as body of mail to $maillist:"
	printf '%s\n' "${alertlist[@]}"
fi

Thank you so much for sharing this kinda stuff, I would go implement this thing once the mailing part is succeed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to send a mail

Hi, I need a shell script which runs in the backround for all the 24 hours and send a mail to us regarding the output of the prstat command when the load average increase above certain percent. kindly help me on this...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaramanit
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail shell script

Hi All, I want to send mail to multiple users.. Currently I am using below script cat $STATUS_FILE|mailx -s "$SUBJECT" -r xxx@yyy.com $MAILTO How can i give cc or bcc to in this script Please help me thanks in advance Regards RG (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rgumm
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to send e-mail from shell script ( C shell )?

Hi , How to send e-mail from shell script ( C shell ) . Mailx command is not working ( It didn't giving error also ). Please help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukuku
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending mail from shell script

Hello All, I m trying to send mail from my unix script, I have used the below command mailx -s 'hi' email address < temp.txt It is not giving me any error,but I couldn't receive the mail Can you please help me. Many Thanks, Pragyan (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prarat
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script To E-Mail

Hi All, I'm having some problems with my shell script. When running the script I get the following errors: line 101: <html>: command not found line 105: /dumpfile.txt: No such file or directory The file dumpfile.txt does exist and I have double and tripple checked this. I'm not sure... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: SalientAnimal
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To send a mail through shell script

I want to send a mail through shell script,If it is possible Please give me a code. mail id : upload.xxx@example.com (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansoft1985
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

A shell script to run a script which don't get terminated and send a pattern from the output by mail

Hi Guys, I am very new to shell script and I need your help here to write a script. Actually, I have a script abc.sh which don't get terminated itself. So I need to design a script to run this script, save the output to a file, search for a given string in the output and if it exists send those... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sambit Sahu
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies