Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use while loop to read file and use ${file} for both filename input into awk and as string to print Post 302997587 by rovf on Wednesday 17th of May 2017 03:18:54 AM
Old 05-17-2017
You didn't say which awk you are using. If your awk is linked to nawk or gawk, there is also an alternative to the solution posted by Don Cragun, in that you could export your shell variable (so that it becomes an environment variable) and use awk's built-in ENVIRON array to access it. If you follow this route, I strongly recommend to write the variable in all-uppercase.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk+Grep Input file needs to match a column and print the entire line

I'm having problems since few days ago, and i'm not able to make it works with a simple awk+grep script (or other way to do this). For example, i have a input file1.txt: cat inputfile1.txt 218299910417 1172051195 1172070231 1172073514 1183135117 1183135118 1183135119 1281440202 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: poliver
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to print on condition in input file

I need only those records which has $2 equal to "DEF" independent of case (i.e upper or lower) nawk -F"," '$2 ~ //{print $0}' file This returns 3rd record also which i dont want I tried this but this doesnt work as expected. nawk -F"," '$2 == ""{print $0}' file i dont... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print only Filename based on given String on file name

Hi, I am new to this unix world. Any ways, I would like to write a shell script that can print the file name. Ex : directory will have 5 files with different name.No matter what are contents are. Now I need to find the file which will have particular name (sub string ).Please do not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akb2010
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take input from read and place it a string in another file

Hi, This is most likely a dumb question but I could not find answer to it elsewhere. I'm building a simple menu with case /esac and want to read user's input: Please enter XYZ ; read XYZ How do I take the value of XYZ and insert it as a variable $XYZ in file file.txt ? I may need to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: svetoslav_sj
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk instead of while loop to read file

Hello, I have a huge file, I am currently using while loop to read and do some calculation on it, but it is taking a lot of time. I want to use AWK to read and do those calculations. Please suggest. currently doing: cat input2 | while read var1 do num=`echo $var1 | awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand2308
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop inside awk to read and print contents of files

Hello, I have a set of files Xfile0001 - Xfile0021, and the content of this files (one at a time) needs to be printed between some line (lines start with word "Generated") that I am extracting from another file called file7.txt and all the output goes into output.txt. First I tried creating a for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaldo0805
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input file with in awk script not through command line

Hi All, Do we know how to read input file within awk script and send output toanother log file. All this needs to be in awk script, not in command line. I am running this awk through crontab. Cat my.awk #!/bin/awk -f function test(var){ some code} { } END { print"test code" } (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: random_thoughts
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Failure using regex with awk in 'while read file' loop

I have a file1.txt with several 100k lines, each of which has a column 9 containing one of 60 "label" identifiers. Using an labels.txt file containing a list of labels, I'd like to extract 200 random lines from file1.txt for each of the labels in index.txt. Using a contrived mini-example: $ cat... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to make a loop to read the input from a file part by part?

Hi All, We've a VDI infrastructure in AWS (AWS workspaces) and we're planning to automate the process of provisioning workspaces. Instead of going to GUI console, and launching workspaces by selecting individual users is little time consuming. Thus, I want to create them in bunches from AWS CLI... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_adm
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file input in while loop does not work on AIX system

I'm working on Aix 6.1 and using ksh shell. The below works fine on Linux bash or ksh shell . while IFS= read -r dirpath ; do echo "Hi" done <<<"$var" However, any such while loop that reads the input from file or variable using <<< fails on Aix system with the below error: Below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)