Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Create a shared folder using acl Post 302996491 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 26th of April 2017 05:59:56 PM
Old 04-26-2017
The mode of a directory (whether set by chmod or by setting an ACL) controls who can create files in that directory, remove files from that directory, and search for files in that directory. It has absolutely nothing to do with who can read or write a file that happens to be located in that directory.

If you want to let a large group of people edit a file, set the mode of that file to allow all of those people to edit it (either by creating a group containing those people's userIDs and making the file writeable by that group or by creating an ACL for that file that grants all of those people's userIDs write permission).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to create ACL

Hi, I generated a script that will create the list of dir/sub-dir and will allow to create the same on diff server. this is what i have done : #!/bin/ksh # Script to migrate the directory between the two servers. # Ver 0.1 # Author Krishna. D # c - create and e - extract directory if ;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishnadvn
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create folder and sub-folder in UNIX ?

Hi all, I have the following code to check the whether the folder is exist in my system. if ; then echo 'folder exist'; else echo 'folder not exist'; mkdir /home/batch/testing ; fi When I remove the "testing" folder from "/home/batch" directory, the code is working fine. But when I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suigion
2 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

can folder shared with NFS (/usr/)

hello i wanted to ask you i try to setting: pc server name: A pc user name: B pc user name: C server A is opensuse 11.2 with kde 4.3.5 and last kernel so i create NFS server, i think.. folder (/usr is all softwares and library) because server A can share to PC A. because all... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tunjin
0 Replies

4. Ubuntu

mounting shared folder at boot

Hi All Everytime a reboot my machine "hostB" I have to mount a shared (with machine "hostA" ) NFS folder giving this command sudo mount hostA:/sharedFolder /sharedFolder How to use fstab in order to do this automatically? I should say hostA:/sharedFolder /sharedFolder ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manustone
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Set ACL automatically for new folder/objects

Hi, In our bank production environment - IBM AIX 5.3, we have a particular parent folder inside which an application creates temporary folders & files. These temp folders exist for the lifetime of the user session within the application and then get deleted automatically. Since these temp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepaksinbox
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

See shared folder

Hello, I want to list all shared folder in terminal in local. I haven't found the command for, i'm on bash in mac os x. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: protocomm
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to connect the shared folder

Hello, I am using unix through cygwin application in my office machine and here i encounter a problem which i want copy certain big files from a shared folder shared folder--\\Parwvm000154\docs to my local machine c:/ I'm really honor if i clarified with the command. Regards... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble setting up a shared folder

I'm trying to set up a folder in my home directory that will be shared with another user but for some reason it is not working this is what I've done, I have tried two different ways using ACL's and chown/chgrp etc I set up a group called say: sharedgroup and added both my user (john) and fred... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 14952john
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ACL (POSIX and NFSv4) Support over NFS shared drives on different Unix platforms

Hello, I have a question regarding ACLs and their availability across different Unix platforms via NFS share. If I have an AIX/FreeBSD/Solaris/HP-UX client that has an nfs share from a different system mounted on it, will the ACLs on the nfs share be processed properly? My guess is that as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use programs in shared folder except ones in my home dir

(0 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
0 Replies
RMF(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMF(1)

NAME
rmf - remove an nmh folder SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-interactive | -nointeractive] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Rmf removes all of the messages (files) within the specified (or default) folder, and then removes the folder (directory) itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not a part of nmh, they will not be removed, and an error will be produced. If the folder is given explicitly or the -nointeractive option is given, then the folder will be removed without confirmation. Otherwise, the user will be asked for confirmation. If rmf can't find the current folder, for some reason, the folder to be removed defaults to `+inbox' (unless overridden by user's profile entry "Inbox") with confirmation. If the folder being removed is a subfolder, the parent folder will become the new current folder, and rmf will produce a message telling the user this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. If rmf s used on a read-only folder, it will delete all the (private) sequences (i.e., "atr-seq-folder" entries) for this folder from your context without affecting the folder itself. Rmf irreversibly deletes messages that don't have other links, so use it with caution. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Inbox: To find the default inbox SEE ALSO
rmm(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder, usually with confirmation `-interactive' if +folder' not given, `-nointeractive' otherwise CONTEXT
Rmf will set the current folder to the parent folder if a subfolder is removed; or if the current folder is removed, it will make "inbox" current. Otherwise, it doesn't change the current folder or message. BUGS
Although intuitively one would suspect that rmf works recursively, it does not. Hence if you have a sub-folder within a folder, in order to rmf the parent, you must first rmf each of the children. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMF(1)