Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity Looking for suggestion on authentication method for UNIX/Windows Post 302996179 by Scrutinizer on Friday 21st of April 2017 02:50:41 AM
Old 04-21-2017
AD is essentially LDAP + Kerberos, so in itself there is nothing wrong with using AD, but it uses a proprietary schema. In order for it to be truly useful for unix/linux hosts, if you need anything more than just authentication, it would be best to import the rfc2307/rfc2307bis schema into AD. So AD can be used as LDAP for Unix/Linux hosts.

An alternative is to have two directories (AD and a separate LDAP) with some kind of sync mechanism...

Then there is the client side. With Single Signon, do you mean that you need to authenticate once and then use a ticket further on. Then you need to use (AD) Kerberos / gssapi. Some linux clients in addition can also do SSO without gssapi through sssd (also against AD), but Solaris cannot. If you mean with SSO that the password is the same for all platforms, then an alternative would be to use TLS/LDAP on Unix/Linux clients.

It all really depends on your situation..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 04-21-2017 at 03:58 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Suggestion: Alternative OS for Windows - Totally Clueless on Unix/Linux OS

Can anyone tell me a good alternative to Windows? OS that can connect to a Windows domain and use for everyday (can use with Oracle). Easy to learn. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: genesisX
4 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows AD for Unix authentication

I am not an expert in Unix at all. My knowledge of Unix is average. We have a couple of Unix servers, Solaris and Linux, which run mostly web servers, and Oracle databases. Currently users have multiple user IDs for Unix and AD applications. Is it possible to make use of the Windows Active... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: speriya
2 Replies

3. AIX

AIX: How to check which authentication method we are using for a user?

In /etc/security/user, we can set which authentication method we use for each user. for example: test: admin = false rlogin = false SYSTEM = "NONE" I want to test whether SYSTEM=NONE (without ") is acceptable. How can I verify it? and How can we check which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quanba
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Identify which authentication method was used at logon

Experts, Is there any way to know which authentication method the user used to login into the box? I mean, is possible to identify if an active user had logged using keys or password for example? Let me clarify: we have a script that we want to allow users to execute only if they have used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fmattos
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

Cygwin remote ssh with key authentication method

Hi experts, I am not sure in which forum to submit this question. If this is not the correct place then please let me know where to submit this thread. My requirement is to invoke windows batch scripts from linux shell script. Hence, I have installed openssh in Cygwin on the windows machine.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
2 Replies
nfssec(5)																 nfssec(5)

NAME
nfssec - overview of NFS security modes The mount_nfs(1M) and share_nfs(1M) commands each provide a way to specify the security mode to be used on an NFS file system through the sec=mode option. mode can be sys, dh, krb5, krb5i, krb5p, or none. These security modes can also be added to the automount maps. Note that mount_nfs(1M) and automount(1M) do not support sec=none at this time. mount_nfs(1M) allows you to specify a single security mode; share_nfs(1M) allows you to specify multiple modes (or none). With multiple modes, an NFS client can choose any of the modes in the list. The sec=mode option on the share_nfs(1M) command line establishes the security mode of NFS servers. If the NFS connection uses the NFS Ver- sion 3 protocol, the NFS clients must query the server for the appropriate mode to use. If the NFS connection uses the NFS Version 2 proto- col, then the NFS client uses the default security mode, which is currently sys. NFS clients may force the use of a specific security mode by specifying the sec=mode option on the command line. However, if the file system on the server is not shared with that security mode, the client may be denied access. If the NFS client wants to authenticate the NFS server using a particular (stronger) security mode, the client wants to specify the secu- rity mode to be used, even if the connection uses the NFS Version 3 protocol. This guarantees that an attacker masquerading as the server does not compromise the client. The NFS security modes are described below. Of these, the krb5, krb5i, krb5p modes use the Kerberos V5 protocol for authenticating and pro- tecting the shared filesystems. Before these can be used, the system must be configured to be part of a Kerberos realm. See SEAM(5). sys Use AUTH_SYS authentication. The user's UNIX user-id and group-ids are passed in the clear on the network, unauthenticated by the NFS server. This is the simplest security method and requires no additional administration. It is the default used by Solaris NFS Version 2 clients and Solaris NFS servers. dh Use a Diffie-Hellman public key system (AUTH_DES, which is referred to as AUTH_DH in the forthcoming Internet RFC). krb5 Use Kerberos V5 protocol to authenticate users before granting access to the shared filesystem. krb5i Use Kerberos V5 authentication with integrity checking (checksums) to verify that the data has not been tampered with. krb5p User Kerberos V5 authentication, integrity checksums, and privacy protection (encryption) on the shared filesystem. This provides the most secure filesystem sharing, as all traffic is encrypted. It should be noted that performance might suffer on some systems when using krb5p, depending on the computational intensity of the encryption algorithm and the amount of data being transferred. none Use null authentication (AUTH_NONE). NFS clients using AUTH_NONE have no identity and are mapped to the anonymous user nobody by NFS servers. A client using a security mode other than the one with which a Solaris NFS server shares the file system has its security mode mapped to AUTH_NONE. In this case, if the file system is shared with sec=none, users from the client are mapped to the anonymous user. The NFS security mode none is supported by share_nfs(1M), but not by mount_nfs(1M) or automount(1M). /etc/nfssec.conf NFS security service configuration file See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWnfscr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ automount(1M), mount_nfs(1M), share_nfs(1M), rpc_clnt_auth(3NSL), secure_rpc(3NSL), nfssec.conf(4), attributes(5) /etc/nfssec.conf lists the NFS security services. Do not edit this file. It is not intended to be user-configurable. 13 Apr 2005 nfssec(5)