Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting TCL scripting: errorInfo=integer value too large to represent Post 302996135 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 19th of April 2017 03:03:19 PM
Old 04-19-2017
Assuming that expr in the code you showed us is the expr utility (and not a tcl built-in), you could use bc or dc instead of expr.

It's been a long time since I've written any TCL code, but to see how to use bc in shell code, try:
Code:
$ x=$(echo 123456789110000 + 1234 | bc) 
$ echo $x
$ 

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is $PROD ? Does it represent some Unix directory?

Hi , Could u tell me What is $PROD ? Does it represent some Unix directory? Regards Ashish Malviya (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashishm
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to represent euro sign in unix

how should represent euro sign "€" in Unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Disk Representation - what is this c1t1d0s2 represent?

Hi All, Can you please advise what the 't' letters stands for? I understand the letter for the following "c1t1d0s2": c = disk Controller t = ? d = disk number ID. s = slice or partition of the disk Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlee
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr: Integer argument too large

Hi all, In KSH, I have got an error message like, "expr: Integer argument too large" I received this error message when I mutiply two large values and displaying the resultant output. Is there any other altenative way to go with too large values? Kindly let me know asap... Thanks in... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting the process to edit a large file

Hi, I need to make a script to edit a file. File is a large file in below format Version: 2008120101 ;$INCLUDE ./abc/xyz/Delhi ;$INCLUDE ./abc/xyz/London $INCLUDE ./abc/xyz/New York First line in the file is version number which is in year,month,date and serial number format. Each... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: makkar4u
5 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

TCL scripting - searching for a IP address in a string

Hi All, Can anyone please help me with the regular expression/code snippet to search for an IP address in a string with Tcl scripting. Example string "OSPF_NBRUP OSPF neighbor 16.138.181.15 (realm ospf-v2 e1-0/0/0:37.0 area 0.0.0.0) state changed from Full to Down due to KillNbr" In the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr. Zer0
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does $ represent in command prompt?

What does $ represent in command prompt? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.g
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare string integer with an integer?

hi, how to I do this? i="4.000" if ; then echo "smaller" fi how do I convert the "4.000" to 4? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert string into integer in shell scripting?

Hi All, sessionid_remote=$(echo "select odb_sessionid from sysopendb where odb_dbname='syscdr';" | sudo -u cucluster ssh ucbu-aricent-vm93 "source /opt/cisco/connection/lib/connection.profile; $INFORMIXDIR/bin/dbaccess sysmaster@ciscounity") for sid in $sessionid_remote;do if * ]];... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deeptis
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCL scripting: errorInfo=integer value too large to represent

The username is of the format : 123456789110000-1234@something.com With this below TCL procedure, I am trying add first and Sec Id and get third Id. I checked in online compiler and it seems to work and add. However, when I am running this in my lab, I get error as "integer value too large to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shaibal_bp
1 Replies
expr(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   expr(1)

Name
       expr - evaluate expressions

Syntax
       expr arg...

Description
       The arguments are taken as an expression.  After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output.  Each token of the expression is
       a separate argument.

The operators and keywords are listed below.  The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped.

expr | expr	   Yields the first expr if it is neither null nor 0.  Otherwise yields the second expr.

expr & expr	   Yields the first expr if neither expr is null or 0.	Otherwise yields 0.

expr relop expr	   The relop is one of < <= = != >= > and yields 1 if the indicated comparison is true, '0' if false.  The  comparison	is
			   numeric if both expr are integers, otherwise lexicographic.

expr + expr
	    expr - expr
			   Yields addition or subtraction of the arguments.

expr * expr
	    expr / expr
	    expr % expr
			   Yields multiplication, division, or remainder of the arguments.

expr : expr	   The	matching  operator compares the string first argument with the regular expression second argument; regular expres-
			   sion syntax is the same as that of The (...) pattern symbols can be used to select a portion of the  first  argument.
			   Otherwise, the matching operator yields the number of characters matched ('0' on failure).

( expr ) 	   parentheses for grouping.

Examples
       The first example adds 1 to the Shell variable a:
       a=`expr $a + 1`
       The second example finds the file name part (least significant part) of the pathname stored in variable a,
       expr $a : '.*/(.*)' '|' $a
       Note the quoted Shell metacharacters.

Diagnostics
       The command returns the following exit codes:

0    The expression is neither null nor '0'.

1    The expression is null or '0'.

2    The expression is invalid.

See Also
       ed(1), sh(1), test(1)

expr(1)