Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Can I prevent a script from being viewed? Post 302994428 by Corona688 on Wednesday 22nd of March 2017 04:55:27 PM
Old 03-22-2017
As I posted last week:

Quote:
This extremely common question always has the same inescapable conclusion.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment If your database/machine/client can decrypt it at will without secrets -- so can anyone else.

Even if you shc it that doesn't prevent people from, say, copying it to a different machine without your permission, somewhere they can control what shell is used, so as to extract the contents.

Yes, but --

Encryption does not work that way.

But what if --

Maybe if it --

To prevent people from reading your scripts/passwords, chmod.

To prevent people getting access to something which reads the scripts/passwords, sudo.

To prevent root from getting at it... You're out of luck.
Encryption really, really, really doesn't work that way, no matter how far down the rabbit hole you go.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Use UNIX to track web sites viewed?

I'm on OSX 10.4. I was wondering if you can use UNIX terminal to track what web sites have been viewed on this Mac... Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tracymanusa
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to prevent multiple email notifications from monitoring script

Hi everyone, I am in the process of trying to decide the correct way to solve a particular scripting/email issue I have and would appreciate any advice. We have a cronjob running every 10 mins to check disk size on the server and if this exceeds a certain percentage then it will email a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: si_linux
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script - how to prevent in parallel run

I have one shell script which is being accessed by many jobs at same time. I want to make the script such that , other job should wait for the script if script is being used by some other job. Is there any way to implement it in script level ? Gops (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job to prevent simultaneous script

I'm using a shared server on Hostgator (Linux CentOS). I'm trying to set a cron job using the Control Panel that will check if its already running before starting a new one. I've tried the following... * * * * * && but I get this error emailed to me... /bin/sh: line 0: Any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech9821
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prevent wrong user from using shell script for multiple remote servers

Hi, I am running a shell script from a central server to multiple remote servers using the following code: application_check() { # Linux/UNIX box with ssh key based login SERVERS=`cat /tmp/server-details` # SSH User name USR="user" # create new file > /tmp/abc.log # connect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mystition
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i prevent $ from being commented out if no value is present? (Bash Script)

Hey guys, I want to paste a code in a .php file via a bash script. I am on ubuntu 10.04. The problem is if the values for $ aren't present, then all of them would be removed by the script. An example of my script (I modified it for this thread to prevent it from being overly complicated) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xxxx
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tcsh: how to prevent a foreach from terminating a script when the result is null?

Sorry if this has been answered. I did search both Google and this site and did find this post: unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/152992-how-ignore-errors-script.html However, it wasn't answered. I have the same question - how do you prevent a tcsh script from terminating when the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepstructure
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to prevent a shell script from copy or read from Users

I have a script which do validation check and perform code migration from one env. to another, this is built for users/developers. How can I prevent this shell script from copy or read from users, as they can modify it and run it as per their requirement where as this has to be standard script and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pramendra
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Any Help About this script how can i prevent client to use it ?

Hello i have server cpanel on centos 6 an there is a client used script to hack other accounts the script is like this _____ __________ <?php $auth_pass = "7815696ecbf1c96e6894b779456d330e"; $color = "#df5"; $default_action = 'FilesMan'; $default_use_ajax = true;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jackmio
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX/Linux - awk - displaying unxpected ! character when viewed in mail; but not in actual file

Greetings Experts, I am on AIX using ksh; I am processing the input files and generating a awk_output.txt file using AWK. By reading that awk_output.txt file, I am building a output.html file which is cat and then fed to /usr/sbin/sendmail .When the shell script is triggered through command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
2 Replies
AUTH_KRB5(8)						    InterNetNews Documentation						      AUTH_KRB5(8)

NAME
auth_krb5 - nnrpd Kerberos v5 authenticator SYNOPSIS
auth_krb5 [-i instance] DESCRIPTION
This program does authentication for nnrpd against a Kerberos v5 KDC. This is NOT real Kerberos authentication using service tickets; instead, a username and password is used to attempt to obtain a Kerberos v5 TGT to confirm that they are valid. As such, this authenticator assumes that nnrpd has been given the user's username and password, and therefore is not as secure as real Kerberos authentication. It generally should only be used with NNTP over TLS to protect the password from sniffing. Normally, you do not want to use this authenticator. Instead, use ckpasswd with PAM support and configure the nnrpd PAM stack to use a Kerberos PAM module. A full Kerberos PAM module is more sophisticated about how it validates passwords and has a much broader array of options than this authenticator. OPTIONS
-i instance If this option is given, instance will be used as the instance of the principal received from nnrpd and authentication will be done against that principal instead of the base principal. In other words, a principal like "user", when passed to auth_krb5 invoked with "-i nntp", will be transformed into "user/nntp" before attempting Kerberos authentication. Since giving one's password to nnrpd is not as secure as normal Kerberos authentication, this option supports a configuration where all users are given a separate instance just for news authentication with its own password, so their regular account password isn't exposed via NNTP. EXAMPLE
The following readers.conf(5) fragment tells nnrpd to authenticate users by attempting to obtain Kerberos v5 TGTs for them, appending an instance of "nntp" to usernames before doing so: auth kerberos { auth: "auth_krb5 -i nntp" } access kerberos { users: "*/nntp" newsgroups: example.* } Access is granted to the example.* groups for all users who successfully authenticate. BUGS
Currently, any username containing realm information (containing "@") is rejected. This is to prevent someone from passing in a username corresponding to a principal in another realm that they have access to and gaining access to the news server via it. However, this is also something that people may wish to do under some circumstances, so there should be a better way of handling it (such as, perhaps, a list of acceptable realms or a -r flag specifying the realm in which to attempt authentication). It's not clear the right thing to do when the username passed in contains a "/" and -i was also given. Right now, auth_krb5 will create a malformed Kerberos principal with multiple instances and attempt to authenticate against it, which will fail but perhaps not with the best error message. HISTORY
Originally written by Christopher P. Lindsey. This documentation was written by Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> based on Christopher's original README file. $Id: auth_krb5.pod 8595 2009-08-21 08:29:26Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
ckpasswd(8), nnrpd(8), readers.conf(5). The latest version of Christopher's original nnrpkrb5auth may be found on his web site at <http://www.mallorn.com/tools/>. INN 2.5.3 2009-09-11 AUTH_KRB5(8)