Sponsored Content
The Lounge War Stories The (Mis)Information Age – The End of the World as We Know It and What Vault7 Teaches Us Post 302993771 by Neo on Tuesday 14th of March 2017 08:30:45 AM
Old 03-14-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavinderSingh13
And I THANK YOU to always keep this site as fresh/great as it is always Smilie.

Thanks,
R. Singh
Well.. errrr... "thanks".. but honestly, the site could be a lot more modern, and someday we'll completely upgrade the site to something different, I guess; but we use so many plugins that are custom, it would be a major effort to build a new site.

But, we will rebuild someday, keeping all the good info; but providing a more up-to-date user experience.....

Right now, my biggest task has been coming out of semi-retirement to get back into fixing some major cybersecurity problems; which have gone unresolved for 20 years and continue to go unresolved.

.. the good news is that I've made great progress..... and continue to make progress step-by-step ... the "bad news" (maybe) is that I am writing every line of code myself.... and it's a lot of code, LOL

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

End of Life / Life Cycle Information

Hello everyone, I was searching for locations where I can get End of Life information on multiple versions of Unix. I have found some information which I list below, what I have not found or confirmed is where I can get the information for: DEC Unix/OSF1 V4.0D NCR Unix SVR4 MP-RAS Rel 3.02.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertmcol
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need UNIX shell scripting end to end information

Hi, I would like to learn shell scripting in UNIX. Can any one please give me the support and share the information/documents with me. If any documents please post it to aswanikumar_nimmagadda@yahoo.co.in Thanks in advance...!!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aswani_n
3 Replies

3. Debian

tcpdump filter (mis)behaviour

Hello, I am a bit puzzled. I am trying to capture data using tcpdump on a bonded interface, which works fine until I add a filter, then nothing is seen nor captured by libpcap/tcpump. I have interfaces eth3 and eth4 bonded to bond0 because I am using a tap in a firewall connection to monitor all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hollinch
4 Replies

4. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Comments on "How Will the World End?"

I have read the sun-expansion scenario numerous places but I've never read any suggestion that the earth's orbit would increase to avoid being scorched. What mechanism would push it out? As for creating a black hole by the LHC, the whole concept is silly so any number of reasons would rule it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: KenJackson
9 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

How Will the World End?

How will the world end (someday long into the future, we hope)? (68 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
68 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Mad World Remix of Moby Video (Are You Lost In The World Like Me)

This is an excellent video comment on modern society and the remix is good too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DU1B_XkyIk 5DU1B_XkyIk Watch the video above and post your comments. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
3 Replies
RC.NEWS(8)						    InterNetNews Documentation							RC.NEWS(8)

NAME
rc.news - Start or stop INN daemons SYNOPSIS
rc.news [start | stop] DESCRIPTION
rc.news can be used to start or stop innd and supporting programs. It checks to make sure INN is not already running, handles cases of unclean shutdown, finishes up tasks which might have been interrupted by the preceding shutdown, e-mails certain boot-time warnings to newsmaster (as set in inn.conf), and is generally safer and easier than starting and stopping everything directly. It needs to be run as the news user so that files in pathrun are created with the right ownership (though this is less important for "rc.news stop"). Programs run and stopped by this script include: o Always: innd is started or stopped. o If doinnwatch is true in inn.conf: innwatch is started and stopped. o If docnfsstat is true in inn.conf: cnfsstat is started and stopped. o If ovmethod is set to "ovdb" in inn.conf: ovdb_init is run; ovdb_server and ovdb_monitor are stopped. o If rc.news.local exists in pathbin: rc.news.local is run with argument "start" or "stop" (to perform site-specific startup or shutdown tasks). OPTIONS
"start" If the first argument is "start", or no first argument is given, rc.news initiates INN startup. "stop" If the first argument is "stop", rc.news initiates INN shutdown. It is recommended to throttle the server first as described in ctlinnd(8). EXAMPLES
To start INN and leave certain error messages going to the terminal: su - news -c <pathbin in inn.conf>/rc.news To run INN at startup time from appropriate system boot scripts: su - news -c <pathbin>/rc.news >/dev/console To stop INN (throttling first): <pathbin>/ctlinnd throttle reason su - news -c '<pathbin>/rc.news stop' BUGS
Running "rc.news start" as root is never the right thing to do, so we should at minimum check for this and error, or perhaps change effective user ID. HISTORY
// FIXME: any attribution for rc.news itself? This manual page written by Jeffrey M. Vinocur <jeff@litech.org> for InterNetNews. $Id: rc.news.pod 9340 2011-08-16 13:50:19Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
ctlinnd(8), cnfsstat(8), inn.conf(5), innwatch(8), ovdb(5). INN 2.5.3 2011-08-22 RC.NEWS(8)