Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) OSX Sierra transparent shell audio sampler. Post 302991008 by wisecracker on Sunday 5th of February 2017 10:04:01 AM
Old 02-05-2017
Now tested on the latest OSX 10.12.3 Sierra on a(n) MBP and iMac.
And it is still working - WOOHOO.
The code now has some error checking and commented out code for a "path" option instead of just "tmp" alone.
It is bash centric but should work fine on ksh(93)...
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Usage:- [./]AUDIO_CAPTURE.sh <number_of_seconds_from_1_upwards><CR>
#
# This DEMO shell script uses a virgin OSX Sierra install only, nothing else is required.
# The conversion for this DEMO is mono, 8 bit, unsigned integer at 48000 sps but it is
# easy to convert to just about anything, 'man afconvert'...
#
# This creates a sample which is then saved to '/"$POSIXpath"/Untitled.m4a' which is then converted
# to '/"$POSIXpath"/Untitled.wav' file. Both formats are then played using 'afplay'.
#
# From the current directory, './AUDIO_CAPTURE.sh 5<CR>' gives about 5 seconds of recording.
#
# Use the internal built in microphone as a test.

# Time for the recording.
seconds="$1"
# Some very basic error checking.
case $seconds in
	''|*[!0-9]*)	seconds=1 ;;
esac
if [ "$seconds" = "" ] || [ "$seconds" -le "1" ]
then
	seconds=1
fi
POSIXpath="tmp"

# 'POSIXpath' should be in POSIX format.
# E.G. 'Users/myhome/Desktop'. There is no need for leading and trailing backslashes - see below.
# This could be a command line second argument but is NOT given '$2' in this DEMO.
# When the section below is uncommented...
# Usage:- [./]AUDIO_CAPTURE.sh <number_of_seconds_from_1_upwards> [your/path/to]<CR>
# Where [your/path/to] is optional and defaults to "tmp".
#
# POSIXpath=$2
# Error check for directory existence.
# if [ ! -d "/$POSIXpath/" ]
# then
#	POSIXpath="tmp"
# fi

# Convert to AppleScript format for this code.
OSXpath="${POSIXpath////:}"

SAMPLE()
{
: > /"$POSIXpath"/Untitled.m4a
chmod 666 /"$POSIXpath"/Untitled.m4a
osascript << AppleSampler
tell application "QuickTime Player"
	activate
	set savePath to "Macintosh HD:" & "$OSXpath" & ":Untitled.m4a"
	set recording to new audio recording
	set visible of front window to false
	delay 2
	start recording
	delay "$1"
	stop recording
	export document "Untitled" in file savePath using settings preset "Audio Only"
	close (every document whose name contains "Untitled") saving no
	tell application "System Events" to click menu item "Hide Export Progress" of menu "Window" of menu bar 1 of process "QuickTime Player"
	delay 1
	quit
end tell
AppleSampler
# 'wait' added for fullness only.
wait
}

# Use the function to create a _background_ recording.
SAMPLE "$seconds"

# Example of conversion to a WAVE file.
afconvert -f 'WAVE' -c 1 -d UI8@48000 /"$POSIXpath"/Untitled.m4a /"$POSIXpath"/Untitled.wav
ls -l /"$POSIXpath"/Untitled.*

# Playback both files.
afplay /"$POSIXpath"/Untitled.m4a
sleep 1
afplay /"$POSIXpath"/Untitled.wav
exit 0

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/bin/bash and #1bin/sh command not found error on mac osx terminal/shell script

i am having a weird error on mac os x running some shell scripts. i am a complete newbie at this and this question concerns 2 scripts. one of which a friend of mine wrote (videochecker.sh) a couple weeks ago and it's been running fine on another machine. then last week i wrote capture.sh and it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danpaluska
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a shell script:Config Transparent Proxy using Shell

I want to config Transparent Proxy using Shell Script. I have more questions<exercise of me :D>: + Check that the squid is installed or not install and version is installed +Allows users to choose to run a transparent proxy or not +Perform configuration and turn on service in accordance... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaka287
0 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Creating Shell Script for STIG Checklist MAC OSX 10.6

Hello, I am new to Mac OSX and shell scripting all together. I was wondering if anyone could help get me started in a few scenarios so that I would be able to automate checking a system against a STIG checklist. A STIG Checklist is a DoD Guideline for securing systems. Here is the first... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: john3j04
3 Replies

4. Slackware

Problems with audio recording in Audacity 2.0.5. Slackware64 14.1; Intel HD Audio.

I'm trying to record audio using Audacity 2.0.5 installed from SlackBuilds. My system is 64-bit Slackware 14.1 and a sound card is Intel HD Audio. I didn't change my sound system to OSS. (Default sound system in Slackware 14.1 is ALSA, isn't it?) First, I set Internal Microphone slider in KMix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qzxcvbnm
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate 10000 unique audio file of 2MB each using shell script.

Hi, I want 10000+ unique Audio file of approx 2MB each. How can i generate numerous audio files using shell script. Any tool, command or suggestions are welcome. If i give one audio seed file then can we create numerous unique files with same seed file? Any help is highly appreciable.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushil.kumar
11 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

OSX afplay command line audio player _manual_.

Hi everyone... I don't know if this is the correct forum but it is Apple OSX specific. It is a proper pseudo-man page for the sparse official one... This is as thorough as experimentation can get... Command line afplay, August 2016. --------------------------------- afplay -h ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

The Start Of A Simple Audio Scope Shell Script...

This is a DEMO shell script to generate a simple graticule and plot inside it... Apologies for any typos... it is another building block along with my other two shell uploads recently to start a semi_serious project of an Terminal_AudioScope... The fist upload I posted recently was to show... (83 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
83 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Capture power button press on MacOs High Sierra?

Hello everyone! I'm developing a MacOs Application in python and I'm having some issues trying to find information related to the power button pressed event. I know that in Ubuntu 14.04 you can find information about it on the acpi folders, but I realized that here in Mac that process is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xedge
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with shutdown command in script (MacOS High Sierra)

Hello, I have a backup script that runs an rsync backup to an external drive. I use the script frequently on Windows and Linux and have installed it on a Mac. The script has an option to run shutdown after the backup has completed. Since backup can take hours to run, this is an option that is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
10 Replies
TIME(2) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   TIME(2)

NAME
time - get time in seconds SYNOPSIS
#include <time.h> time_t time(time_t *t); DESCRIPTION
time() returns the time as the number of seconds since the Epoch, 1970-01-01 00:00:00 +0000 (UTC). If t is non-NULL, the return value is also stored in the memory pointed to by t. RETURN VALUE
On success, the value of time in seconds since the Epoch is returned. On error, ((time_t) -1) is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EFAULT t points outside your accessible address space. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, C89, C99, POSIX.1-2001. POSIX does not specify any error conditions. NOTES
POSIX.1 defines seconds since the Epoch as a value to be interpreted as the number of seconds between a specified time and the Epoch, according to a formula for conversion from UTC equivalent to conversion on the naive basis that leap seconds are ignored and all years divisible by 4 are leap years. This value is not the same as the actual number of seconds between the time and the Epoch, because of leap seconds and because clocks are not required to be synchronized to a standard reference. The intention is that the interpretation of sec- onds since the Epoch values be consistent; see POSIX.1 Annex B 2.2.2 for further rationale. SEE ALSO
date(1), gettimeofday(2), ctime(3), ftime(3), time(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-02-25 TIME(2)