Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bool vs char * conversion
Top Forums Programming Bool vs char * conversion Post 302989365 by yifangt on Wednesday 11th of January 2017 02:52:35 PM
Old 01-11-2017
Bool vs char * conversion

I have a problem at make step to install a downloaded package consisted of different programs.
Code:
In file included from kcdbext.cc:16:0:
kcdbext.h: In member function �char* kyotocabinet::IndexDB::get(const char*, size_t, size_t*)’:
kcdbext.h:1281:14: error: cannot convert �bool’ to �char*’ in return
       return false;

1) I have tried
Code:
export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"; make

to correct the weird characters, but this seems to be a temporary fix. What is the permanent fix?
2) The error message is
Code:
kcdbext.h: In member function 'char* kyotocabinet::IndexDB::get(const char*, size_t, size_t*)':
kcdbext.h:1281:14: error: cannot convert 'bool' to 'char*' in return:
       return false;

The code fragment of the function prototype is:
Code:
char* get(const char* kbuf, size_t ksiz, size_t* sp) {
if (omode_ == 0) {
     //......
     return false;
   }

//more code ...
return rbuf;
}

I know the function is declared as char *, which is conflict with the returned value as a boolean "false". How to fix this syntax problem?
Thanks a lot!

Last edited by yifangt; 01-11-2017 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: typos

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

char to int64 conversion

Hi, I'm converting a C program that I made using the Visual Studio. I now use GCC (over Linux) and can't find some equivalences. I changed my __int64 definitions to unsigned long long, but can't find an equivalent to the microsoft i64toa() function, which let you convert a char* to a 64 bit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raspoutine
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ANSI C, char to hex conversion

Hi, I have a char buf,ch; and the buf is filled with the result from MySQL server which I get like this numbytes = recv(sock, buf, 1024, 0));I have the followingcode to display the results printf("received %ld bytes:\n",numbytes); for(c=0;c<numbytes;c++){ ch = (char)buf; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alikims
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Non-ASCII char prevents conversion of manpage to plain text

Hello, I would like to export manual pages to plain text files. man CommandName | col -bx > CommandName.txt The above statement works successfully on Mac OS X. However, it often fails on my old Linux. The problem occurs if the source file of the manpage contains an escape sequence for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
5 Replies

4. Programming

conversion to 'char' from 'int' warning

Hi, I wrote a simple code in C++ converting from UpperToLower case characters. However, my compiler gives me a warning: "warning: conversion to 'char' from 'int' may alter its value". Any tips? I would like to stress, I don't want to load my string into char array. int ToLower(string... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kajolo
4 Replies

5. Programming

error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’

Compiling xpp (The X Printing Panel) on SL6 (RHEL6 essentially): xpp.cxx: In constructor ‘printFiles::printFiles(int, char**, int&)’: xpp.cxx:200: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’ The same error with all c++ constructors - gcc 4.4.4. If anyone can throw any light on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSO
8 Replies

6. Programming

Error message: invalid types 'bool...' (array problem)

Hello everyone. I'm stuck with an error message that neither I nor any of my computer science peeps can understand. The program I wrote is meant to be a simple decimal to binary converter, but with this message it's more complicated than I thought. Here's the code: #include <iostream>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qf_woodfox
2 Replies

7. Programming

Error message: invalid types 'bool...' (array problem)

Hello everyone. I'm stuck with an error message that neither I nor any of my computer science peeps can understand. The program I wrote is meant to be a simple decimal to binary converter, but with this message it's more complicated than I thought. Here's the code: #include <iostream>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qf_woodfox
3 Replies

8. Programming

Double to const char conversion

Dear all, I am using C and ROOT for programming. And I need to incorporate following in my code. char *fps=NULL; int dec=0,sign=0; float mean = h1->GetMean(1); //0.001298 fps= fcvt(mean,6 , &dec, &sign); I need to provide this mean as const char to some other function to get... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
8 Replies

9. Programming

SQL: Alter existing bool after printing

I'm writing a DB to manage books & dvd's for the library. So after they added more books/dvd's, they press the print button and all newly added entries are printed. That is, as it prints all 'printed = false' entries, which (false) is the default value for that field for each new entry. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

10. Programming

Invalid conversion from char* to char

Pointers are seeming to get the best of me and I get that error in my program. Here is the code #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> #define REPORTHEADING1 " Employee Pay Hours Gross Tax Net\n" #define REPORTHEADING2 " Name ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Plum
1 Replies
set_color(1)                                                           fish                                                           set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)