Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Curly brackets converted to unicode in script Post 302989279 by Ray-V on Tuesday 10th of January 2017 04:01:41 PM
Old 01-10-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
You could use eval, but you should be very aware of its risks!
Many thanks - eval is what I needed. Had to do the command substitution on the whole URL wget -O file $(eval echo localhost/{$1..$2}), but it now works.

Should have known this because I've used eval before - must have had a mental block, but at least I've been prompted now to understand its use better.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do you use brackets ?? in a script.

:D i am pretty much new to scripting and don't want to pick up bad habits so I am trying to get myself to use brackets in my scripts since I plan on using them alot.. ! in this example of a script I wrote I can not figure out where the brackets go can anyone give me some insight into the use of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
3 Replies

2. Programming

How to display unicode characters / unicode string

I have a stream of characters like "\u8BBE\u5907\u7BA1" and i want to display it. I tried following things already without any luck. 1) printf("%s",L("\u8BBE\u5907\u7BA1")); 2) printf("%lc",0x8BBE); 3) setlocale followed by fwide followed by wprintf 4) also changed the local manually... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackdorso
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of curly braces with variables

Hi, I am new to shell scripting.I have worked somewhat with Perl though. I am not able to find what the second line does and how does it do. <code> FP_RUNNING=`service filepool status` FP_RUNNING=${FP_RUNNING%% *} <\code> After the first line,the variable FP_RUNNING stores '1 FilePool... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinavsinha
2 Replies

4. Programming

Python converted from /bin/sh shell - backup script.

Hello, I have a shell script I wrote in /bin/sh to backup my web sever. I am now on a host (someone reselling rackspace server hosting to me) and when setting up cron, it actually has a dropdown list of "command languages" that you have to choose from. my options are: ruby php perl... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzacsh
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script backspace not working for Unicode characters

Hello, My Perl script reads input from stdin and prints it out to stdout. After I read input I use BACKSPACE to erase characters. However BACKSPACE does not work with Unicode characters that are multi-bytes. On screen the character is erased but underneath only one byte is deleted instead of all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdw
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete text between square brackets and also delete those square brackets using sed or awk

Hi All, I have a text file which looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I want to get rid of these square brackets and also the text that is inside these brackets. So that my final text file looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Suggestions to improve Perl script for checking malformed braces/brackets

Hi all, I've written a Perl script below that check and report for malformed braces. I have a UNIX ksh version and it took a couple of minutes to run on a 10000+ lines. With the Perl version it only took about 20 seconds so that is enough incentive for me to go Perl not to mention that I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Variable in Curly Brackets Returns Empty Value

Hello Team, I have a script which will grep for a time from a file. I have following code to grep for a time in a file. node=`hostname` current_date=`date` file11=weblogic.log next_date=`date '+%b %e, %Y'` next_date_time11=`grep -i "${#next_date}" ${file11}| tail -1 | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolguyamy
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - entered input(1-40 bytes) needs to be converted exactly 40 bytes

hello, suppose, entered input is of 1-40 bytes, i need it to be converted to 40 bytes exactly. example: if i have entered my name anywhere between 1-40 i want it to be stored with 40 bytes exactly. enter your name: donald duck (this is of 11 bytes) expected is as below - display 11... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shravan.300
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the text between all curly brackets from text file?

Hello experts, I have a text file with lot of curly brackets (both opening { & closing } ). I need to delete them alongwith the text between opening & closing brackets' pair. For ex: Input:- 59. Rh1 Qe4 {(Qf5-e4 Qd8-g8+ Kg6-f5 Qg8-h7+ Kf5-e5 Qh7-e7+ Ke5-f5 Qe7-d7+ Qe4-e6 Qd7-h7+ Qe6-g6... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringyEUser3Contributed Perl DocuPerl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringyEval(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringyEval - Write "eval { my $foo; bar($foo) }" instead of "eval "my $foo; bar($foo);"". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
The string form of "eval" is recompiled every time it is executed, whereas the block form is only compiled once. Also, the string form doesn't give compile-time warnings. eval "print $foo"; # not ok eval {print $foo}; # ok CONFIGURATION
There is an "allow_includes" boolean option for this Policy. If set, then strings that look like they only include a single "use" or "require" statement (with the possible following statement that consists of a single number) are allowed. With this option set, the following are flagged as indicated: eval 'use Foo'; # ok eval 'require Foo'; # ok eval "use $thingy;"; # ok eval "require $thingy;"; # ok eval "use $thingy; 1;"; # ok eval "require $thingy; 1;"; # ok eval 'use Foo; blah;'; # still not ok eval 'require Foo; 2; 1;'; # still not ok eval 'use $thingy;'; # still not ok eval 'no Foo'; # still not ok If you don't understand why the number is allowed, see Perl::Critic::Policy::ErrorHandling::RequireCheckingReturnValueOfEval. This option inspired by Ricardo SIGNES' Perl::Critic::Policy::Lax::ProhibitStringyEval::ExceptForRequire. SEE ALSO
Perl::Critic::Policy::ControlStrucutres::RequireBlockGrep Perl::Critic::Policy::ControlStrucutres::RequireBlockMap AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-07 Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringyEval(3pm)