Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copying characters on each line in a file Post 302989271 by dmm on Tuesday 10th of January 2017 12:42:20 PM
Old 01-10-2017
worked like a charm

thanks VGERSH99,

That worked perfectly !!

Now I can add the remaining line items and proceed with my massive file copy.

-dmm

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying files with dumb characters

hello I'm trying to batch copy files from one location to another. My script get's the output of a find command (i.e. find /disk3/jpm/seq -type f | xargs copy2boss) The script works fine, except when filenames contains whitespace, backslashes and so on. Any hints? Is there another more accurate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaklon
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to count characters by line of file ?

Hello, Member or professional need help how to count characters by line of file Example of the file is here cdr20080817164322811681txt cdr20080817164322811txt cdr20080817164322811683txt cdr20080817164322811684txt I want to count the characters by line of file . The output that I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut first 3 characters of each line in a file

Hi Friends I have a file like sample1.txt ------------ 10998909.txt 10898990.txt 1898772222.txt 8980000000000.txt I need to take first 3 characters of each line in a file and i need to print it ' like loop 109 108 189 898 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittusri9
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying from line N1 to line N2 of a file in a series of files

Dear community, I'm quite a newbie with scripting, I have this problem: I have a file with many lines and I want to copy the lines from 1 to N to file.1, from N+1 to 2N to file.2, and so on up to the end of the file I have tried with something like this (N=43 in this example): awk '{for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paolalup
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

First Three Characters of the first line of a file

Dear Members, For example i have a file which contains 10 lines as below: 123testing gopjp jg9459\ 834789rh fh456 47rf 497rvg 409748\ 08ntr i need the first three characters of the first line of the file. if i use cut -c 1-3 < sample.txtits displaying the 1st three... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete new line characters from a file

Hi, I have a file with about 25 colums separated with '~', but few of the lines have extra tabs ('^') and new line characters ('$'). Is there a way I can delete those characters if they are anywhere before the 25th column in a line? example: CLUB000650;12345678;0087788667;NOOP MEMBER ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

New line characters in Ascii file

I am having a file(1234.txt) downloaded from windows server (in Ascii format).However when i ftp this file to Unix server and try to work with it..i am unable to do anything.When i try to open the file using vi editor the file opens in the following format ... @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: appu2176
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a line from one file to other using vi editor

Hi Guys, the command ":yy" copies the line but it can be pasted in the same file. How can it be done if I want to copy it in other file. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajincoep
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying a line from a file using sed

Hi All, I need to copy a specific line from a file to another file. lets suppose the line number 13 of a file when I am writing the line number explicitly.. its working fine sed -n '13p' afile > anotherfile but, when inside a script, i am getting the line number value inside a variable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
4 Replies

10. Programming

Matching first n characters in a line in a file

hi to all, i am writing a simple file program in C which has to take a string of length n as input and match that input string with first n character of the line in file. if it does not match it has to compare with first n characters of next line. i am finding it difficult to know how exactly to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntrikoti
2 Replies
thai/thwbrk.h(3)						      libthai							  thai/thwbrk.h(3)

NAME
thai/thwbrk.h - Thai wide-char word segmentation. SYNOPSIS
Functions int th_wbrk (const thwchar_t *s, int pos[], size_t n) Find word break positions in Thai wide-char string. int th_wbrk_line (const thwchar_t *in, thwchar_t *out, size_t n, const thwchar_t *delim) Insert word delimitors in given wide-char string. Detailed Description Thai wide-char word segmentation. Function Documentation int th_wbrk (const thwchar_t *s, intpos[], size_tn) Find word break positions in Thai wide-char string. Parameters: s : the input string to be processed pos : array to keep breaking positions n : size of pos[] Returns: the actual number of breaking positions occurred Finds word break positions in Thai string s and stores at most n breaking positions in pos[], from left to right. int th_wbrk_line (const thwchar_t *in, thwchar_t *out, size_tn, const thwchar_t *delim) Insert word delimitors in given wide-char string. Parameters: in : the input wide-char string to be processed out : the output wide-char buffer n : the size of out (as number of elements) delim : the wide-char word delimitor to insert Returns: the actual size of the processed string (as number of elements) Analyzes the input string and store the string in output buffer with the given word delimitor inserted at every word boundary. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for libthai from the source code. Version 0.1.14 Tue Jun 17 2014 thai/thwbrk.h(3)