Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting String To Integer/Float (weird case) Post 302989263 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 10th of January 2017 10:50:41 AM
Old 01-10-2017
a bit convoluted, but doesn't rely on the fixed-width and/or hardwired column width values, but:
Code:
awk -F'T0+[1-6]+0' '/^T/{print (($2~/-/)?substr($2,index($2,"-")+1):$2+0)}' myFile

You can change your awk script accordingly - including the setting of FS in the BEGIN block.

Last edited by vgersh99; 01-10-2017 at 12:04 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to vgersh99 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Integer/Float Script Problem

Hi, I have a script which takes a value from a file and performs calculations on it. Trouble is that this value is a float not an integer and it errors at the decimal point! eg. 94.62 I would like to be able to detect the length of the float (in this above case, 5 characters), and simply do a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danhodges99
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

command for converting string to integer

Hi ... I am trying to calculate the time needed for a command to execute.. but the resulting value is getting as string.. so i am not able to use "expr " command.. please help me to convert the value to integer so that i can proceed with my script.. Regards esham (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esham
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting the case of the string?

Hi i have a string value in a variable STR eg. STR="ABSDSCSFS" How can be convert it to LOWERCASE in the script? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting a String variable into Integer

Hi, I am passing a variable to a unix function. However when I try to assign the value to another variable like typeset -i I_CACHE_VAL=$2 Is this because of String to Integer conversion? I get an error. Please help me with thsi. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeto
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting integer to String

Hi everyone, I would like to know how to convert an integer to a string. for instance if i=1 i would like to creat a variable called constant1. i want to do this in a for loop so for each value of i, i create a new variable such as constant2, constant3,... and so on. for i in 1 2 3 do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

byte swapping 32-bit float and weird od results

I'm attempting to read a file that is composed of complex 32-bit floating point values on Solaris 10 that came from a 64-bit Red Hat computer. When I first tried reading the file, it looked like there was a byte-swapping problem and after running the od command on the file Solaris and Red Hat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoDonkeys
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting to lower case or upper case

here is a code column_name="vivek" column_name2="ViVeK" column_name=$(echo $column_name | awk '{print tolower($0)}') column_name2=$(echo $column_name2 | awk '{print tolower($0)}') echo "column name 1 lower: $column_name" echo "column name... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Month into Integer

okay so i run an openssl command to get the date of an expired script. Doing so gives me this: enddate=Jun 26 23:59:59 2012 GMT Then i cut everything out and just leave the month which is "Jun" Now the next part of my script is to tell the user if the the certificate is expired or not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shade917
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting date +%j into integer

Dear community, i got a problem to get "date +%j" as the right value. Today is the 10th day of the year. #./script.sh 2 #!/bin/bash/ Var1=$(date +%j) Var2=$1 let result=$Var1+$Var2 echo $Var1 plus $Var2 equals $result The output of the script is: 010 plus 2 equals 10... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: OskarHF
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting string to integer

I have a function that is supposed to check for user processes and wait for 0 count before exiting the function. I am sure I have more than one issue in my code, but the stumbling block right now is that I am trying to convert the value of my variable from a string to integer. process_count... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
10 Replies
Test::Script(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Test::Script(3)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.2 2009-11-23 Test::Script(3)