Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Curly brackets converted to unicode in script Post 302989246 by RudiC on Tuesday 10th of January 2017 10:02:06 AM
Old 01-10-2017
It's a bash feature:
Code:
echo {1..5}
1 2 3 4 5
set -- 1 5
echo {${1}..${2}}
{1..5}

You could use eval, but you should be very aware of its risks!
Code:
eval echo {${1}..${2}}
1 2 3 4 5

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do you use brackets ?? in a script.

:D i am pretty much new to scripting and don't want to pick up bad habits so I am trying to get myself to use brackets in my scripts since I plan on using them alot.. ! in this example of a script I wrote I can not figure out where the brackets go can anyone give me some insight into the use of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
3 Replies

2. Programming

How to display unicode characters / unicode string

I have a stream of characters like "\u8BBE\u5907\u7BA1" and i want to display it. I tried following things already without any luck. 1) printf("%s",L("\u8BBE\u5907\u7BA1")); 2) printf("%lc",0x8BBE); 3) setlocale followed by fwide followed by wprintf 4) also changed the local manually... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackdorso
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of curly braces with variables

Hi, I am new to shell scripting.I have worked somewhat with Perl though. I am not able to find what the second line does and how does it do. <code> FP_RUNNING=`service filepool status` FP_RUNNING=${FP_RUNNING%% *} <\code> After the first line,the variable FP_RUNNING stores '1 FilePool... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinavsinha
2 Replies

4. Programming

Python converted from /bin/sh shell - backup script.

Hello, I have a shell script I wrote in /bin/sh to backup my web sever. I am now on a host (someone reselling rackspace server hosting to me) and when setting up cron, it actually has a dropdown list of "command languages" that you have to choose from. my options are: ruby php perl... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzacsh
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script backspace not working for Unicode characters

Hello, My Perl script reads input from stdin and prints it out to stdout. After I read input I use BACKSPACE to erase characters. However BACKSPACE does not work with Unicode characters that are multi-bytes. On screen the character is erased but underneath only one byte is deleted instead of all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdw
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete text between square brackets and also delete those square brackets using sed or awk

Hi All, I have a text file which looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I want to get rid of these square brackets and also the text that is inside these brackets. So that my final text file looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Suggestions to improve Perl script for checking malformed braces/brackets

Hi all, I've written a Perl script below that check and report for malformed braces. I have a UNIX ksh version and it took a couple of minutes to run on a 10000+ lines. With the Perl version it only took about 20 seconds so that is enough incentive for me to go Perl not to mention that I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Variable in Curly Brackets Returns Empty Value

Hello Team, I have a script which will grep for a time from a file. I have following code to grep for a time in a file. node=`hostname` current_date=`date` file11=weblogic.log next_date=`date '+%b %e, %Y'` next_date_time11=`grep -i "${#next_date}" ${file11}| tail -1 | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolguyamy
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - entered input(1-40 bytes) needs to be converted exactly 40 bytes

hello, suppose, entered input is of 1-40 bytes, i need it to be converted to 40 bytes exactly. example: if i have entered my name anywhere between 1-40 i want it to be stored with 40 bytes exactly. enter your name: donald duck (this is of 11 bytes) expected is as below - display 11... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shravan.300
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the text between all curly brackets from text file?

Hello experts, I have a text file with lot of curly brackets (both opening { & closing } ). I need to delete them alongwith the text between opening & closing brackets' pair. For ex: Input:- 59. Rh1 Qe4 {(Qf5-e4 Qd8-g8+ Kg6-f5 Qg8-h7+ Kf5-e5 Qh7-e7+ Ke5-f5 Qe7-d7+ Qe4-e6 Qd7-h7+ Qe6-g6... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies
SU(1)								   User Commands							     SU(1)

NAME
su - run a shell with substitute user and group IDs SYNOPSIS
su [OPTION]... [-] [USER [ARG]...] DESCRIPTION
Change the effective user id and group id to that of USER. -, -l, --login make the shell a login shell -c, --command=COMMAND pass a single COMMAND to the shell with -c -f, --fast pass -f to the shell (for csh or tcsh) -m, --preserve-environment do not reset environment variables -p same as -m -s, --shell=SHELL run SHELL if /etc/shells allows it --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit A mere - implies -l. If USER not given, assume root. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report su bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for su is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and su programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info coreutils 'su invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 SU(1)