Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace multiple "&nbsp;" entry with in <td> tag into single entry using sed? Post 302989195 by Corona688 on Monday 9th of January 2017 04:16:00 PM
Old 01-09-2017
-e is redundant here. If your SED supports extended regexps:

Code:
$ echo "&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; a &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;" | sed -r 's/(&nbsp; *)+/\&nbsp;/g'
&nbsp;a &nbsp;

$

The ( ) brackets group a whole section, after which is a + for "one or more repeats of this expression".

The & has to be escaped in the output expression as \&, otherwise & has the special meaning "the entire matched expression" which would end up adding MORE &nbsp;

Question though: If specific numbers of non-breaking spaces aren't meant to be there, are any non-breaking spaces meant to be there? Why not replace them entirely with non-breaking spaces?
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell"

Hi I have installed solaris 10 on an intel machine. Logged in as root. In CDE, i open terminal session, type login alex (normal user account) and password and i get this message No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell" :confused: What i want is: open various... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpan
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to delete entry in file "wtmpx"(/var/adm/wtmpx)

Do someone know how to delete entry(some lines) in file "wtmpx" that command "last" use it. this file is binary so I cannot edit directy. ========================= #last root pts/1 noc Fri Mar 3 22:04 still logged in root pts/1 noc Fri Mar 3 22:01 - 22:02 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm_naja
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

"sed" to check file size & echo " " to destination file

Hi, I've modified the syslogd source to include a thread that will keep track of a timer(or a timer thread). My intention is to check the file size of /var/log/messages in every one minute & if the size is more than 128KB, do a echo " " > /var/log/messages, so that the file size will be set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
7 Replies

4. Solaris

VI Editor issue "E558: Terminal entry not found in terminfo"

When trying to open a document with VI editor, getting the following error.. E558: Terminal entry not found in terminfo 'vt100' not known. Available builtin terminals are: builtin_gui builtin_riscos builtin_amiga builtin_beos-ansi builtin_ansi builtin_pcansi ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace dashes positions 351-357 & 024-043 with 0 & replace " " if exis with 04 at position 381-382

I need to replace dashes (i.e. -) if present from positions 351-357 with zero (i.e. 0), I also need to replace dash (i.e “-“) if present between position 024-043 with zero (i.e. 0) & I replace " " (i.e. 2 space characters) if present at position 381-382 with "04". Total length of record is 413.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Help: Filter Multiple Entry & print in one line.

AWK Gurus, data: srvhcm01 AZSCI srvhcm01 AZSDB srvhcm01 BZSDB srvhcm01 E2QDI31 srvhcm01 YPDCI srvhcm01 YPDDB srvhcm01 UV2FSCR srvhcm01 UV2FSBI srvhcm01 UV2FSXI srvhcm01 UV2FSUC srvhcm01 UV2FSEP srvhcm01 UV2FSRE srvhcm01 NASCI srvhcm01 NASDB srvhcm01 UV2FSSL srvhcm01 UV2FSDI (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

ERROR: ldapmodify: wrong attributeType at line 6, entry "olcDatabase={0}hdb,cn=config"

please use code tags, thanks Initially olcDatabase={2}config.ldif file was in non-prod and it does not have any entries of database and password as well that is why I was getting error as “ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)”¯ , I was comparing with my production olcDatabase={2}config.ldif file ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bibhusisa
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

find files in sub dir with tag & add "." at the beginning [tag -f "Note" . | xargs -0 {} mv {} .{}]

I am trying find files in sub dir with certain tags using tag command, and add the period to the beginning. I can't use chflags hidden {} cause it doesn't add period to the beginning of the string for web purpose. So far with my knowledge, I only know mdfind or tag can be used to search files with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
6 Replies
REGEXP(6)							   Games Manual 							 REGEXP(6)

NAME
regexp - regular expression notation DESCRIPTION
A regular expression specifies a set of strings of characters. A member of this set of strings is said to be matched by the regular expression. In many applications a delimiter character, commonly bounds a regular expression. In the following specification for regular expressions the word `character' means any character (rune) but newline. The syntax for a regular expression e0 is e3: literal | charclass | '.' | '^' | '$' | '(' e0 ')' e2: e3 | e2 REP REP: '*' | '+' | '?' e1: e2 | e1 e2 e0: e1 | e0 '|' e1 A literal is any non-metacharacter, or a metacharacter (one of .*+?[]()|^$), or the delimiter preceded by A charclass is a nonempty string s bracketed [s] (or [^s]); it matches any character in (or not in) s. A negated character class never matches newline. A substring a-b, with a and b in ascending order, stands for the inclusive range of characters between a and b. In s, the metacharacters an initial and the regular expression delimiter must be preceded by a other metacharacters have no special meaning and may appear unescaped. A matches any character. A matches the beginning of a line; matches the end of the line. The REP operators match zero or more (*), one or more (+), zero or one (?), instances respectively of the preceding regular expression e2. A concatenated regular expression, e1e2, matches a match to e1 followed by a match to e2. An alternative regular expression, e0|e1, matches either a match to e0 or a match to e1. A match to any part of a regular expression extends as far as possible without preventing a match to the remainder of the regular expres- sion. SEE ALSO
awk(1), ed(1), sam(1), sed(1), regexp(2) REGEXP(6)