Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Match filename pattern with -f Post 302989135 by MadeInGermany on Monday 9th of January 2017 03:54:27 AM
Old 01-09-2017
You can do it with ls -d , but the external program means some overhead, and you must discard stdout and stderr, and there are some border cases if special files would match.
--
The function lets the shell expand the arguments; the for loop cycles through them, tests them, and returns immediately with status 0 ("true") if one is present.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To identify filename in which having match PATTERN

Hi, Any idea to identify bunch of files( gz format) in which having match PATTERN wanted and print out those files ? :) Regards, (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: cedrichiu
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does Filename Match Pattern

Hi, I am writing a BASH script. I have a list of files and I would like to make sure that each is of a specific pattern (ie *.L2). If not I would like to remove that file. How do I test whether a filename matches a given pattern? Thanks a lot. Mike (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match first pattern first then extract second pattern match

My input file: <accession>Q91G55</accession> <name>043L_IIV6</name> <protein> <recommendedName> <location> <position position="294"/> </location> <fullName>Uncharacterized protein 043L</fullName> <accession>P18556</accession> <name>1106L_ASFB7</name> <protein> <recommendedName>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename pattern match and appending pipe

Hi, I have a directory with around 100k files and files with varying sizes(10GB files to as low as 5KB). All the files are having pipe dilimited records. I need to append 7 pipes to the end of each record, in each file whose name contains _X3_ and need to append 10 pipes to the end of each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nss280
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting filename for Nth line pattern match

Hi, I have many scripts in particular directory. And few of the scripts have exit 0 in second line. Now i wanted to list out the scripts name which has the exit 0 in its second line I tried many options , but i can not get the filename along with the nth line pattern match :mad:. Can anyone... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: puni
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need one liner to search pattern and print everything expect 6 lines from where pattern match made

i need to search for a pattern from a big file and print everything expect the next 6 lines from where the pattern match was made. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to match a pattern and perform a search after the first pattern

Hello Guyz I have been following this forum for a while and the solutions provided are super useful. I currently have a scenario where i need to search for a pattern and start searching by keeping the first pattern as a baseline ABC DEF LMN EFG HIJ LMN OPQ In the above text i need to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RickCharles
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Match Pattern after certain pattern and Print words next to Pattern

Hi experts , im new to Unix,AWK ,and im just not able to get this right. I need to match for some patterns if it matches I need to print the next few words to it.. I have only three such conditions to match… But I need to print only those words that comes after satisfying the first condition..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rearrange or replace only the second line after pattern match or pattern match

Im using the command below , but thats not the output that i want. it only prints the odd and even numbers. awk '{if(NR%2){print $0 > "1"}else{print $0 > "2"}}' Im hoping for something like this file1: Text hi this is just a test text1 text2 text3 text4 text5 text6 Text hi... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match Pattern and print pattern and multiple lines into one line

Hello Experts , require help . See below output: File inputs ------------------------------------------ Server Host = mike id rl images allocated last updated density vimages expiration last read <------- STATUS ------->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigerhills
4 Replies
WILDMAT(3)						     Library Functions Manual							WILDMAT(3)

NAME
wildmat - perform shell-style wildcard matching SYNOPSIS
int wildmat(text, pattern) char *text; char *pattern; DESCRIPTION
Wildmat is part of libinn (3). Wildmat compares the text against the pattern and returns non-zero if the pattern matches the text. The pattern is interpreted according to rules similar to shell filename wildcards, and not as a full regular expression such as those handled by the grep(1) family of programs or the regex(3) or regexp(3) set of routines. The pattern is interpreted as follows: x Turns off the special meaning of x and matches it directly; this is used mostly before a question mark or asterisk, and is not spe- cial inside square brackets. ? Matches any single character. * Matches any sequence of zero or more characters. [x...y] Matches any single character specified by the set x...y. A minus sign may be used to indicate a range of characters. That is, [0-5abc] is a shorthand for [012345abc]. More than one range may appear inside a character set; [0-9a-zA-Z._] matches almost all of the legal characters for a host name. The close bracket, ], may be used if it is the first character in the set. The minus sign, -, may be used if it is either the first or last character in the set. [^x...y] This matches any character not in the set x...y, which is interpreted as described above. For example, [^]-] matches any character other than a close bracket or minus sign. HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> in 1986, and posted to Usenet several times since then, most notably in comp.sources.misc in March, 1991. Lars Mathiesen <thorinn@diku.dk> enhanced the multi-asterisk failure mode in early 1991. Rich and Lars increased the efficiency of star patterns and reposted it to comp.sources.misc in April, 1991. Robert Elz <kre@munnari.oz.au> added minus sign and close bracket handling in June, 1991. This is revision 1.10, dated 1992/04/03. SEE ALSO
grep(1), regex(3), regexp(3). WILDMAT(3)