Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Get all associated pids
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get all associated pids Post 302989093 by SkySmart on Saturday 7th of January 2017 06:50:14 PM
Old 01-07-2017
Get all associated pids

im looking for a portable way to get the PID of the script that is running, and to get every other PIDs that are spawned from it.

and by ever other PIDs, i presume, that would be "child processes".

however, i want to shy away from using any command that is not available on every single unix system thats out there. so the preferred solution would be one that can be used everywhere.

so, here's what im attempting:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
myscriptpid=$$
ps -ef | awk -v myscriptpid="${myscriptpid}" '$2 ~ / $$ / || $3 ~ / $$ / '{print $0}''

can the above be beefed up to spit out the entire line of every single PID that is spawned from my script or related to my script???

Last edited by SkySmart; 01-07-2017 at 09:55 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

PIDs of background process

How to track the pid of a background child process(shell script) from a parent script ? For example :- $ sleep 10000 & 4220 where 4220 is the pid of bg process sleep. Now my requirement is to keep the sleep statement in a shell script(test.ksh) and will be invoking it from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the maximum # of PIDs

Is there a command in HP Unix which can be used inside a K shell to find out the maximum number of processes (PIDs) a pc can generate? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Steve (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for PIDs

I am trying to write a Shell script wherein the shell needs to read a list of PID in the File $stat/bin/Process and compare it to the PID of the processes running on a server. Also the script should return KO(not OK) with corresponding label :- a) When an environmental variable not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marconi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing PIDs in shell..

Hi, There is a file having a list of running PIDs and another file having a list of registered PIDs. How can we check if the number of running PIDs are less or more than the registered PIDs, comparing the total no. in each and also each value. Request you to pls give your inputs. Thanks a... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing PIDs in a Shell...

Hi, There is a file having a list of running PIDs (pid_process) and another file having a list of registered PIDs (pid_regieter). I want to check if:- a) there is at least one running PID that does not correspond to a registered PID (listing the PID not registered in the file) ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Track and kill the PIDS

I have a script that conducts some SSH calls and I would like to capture the child info so that I can do a sleep and then a cleanup to make sure they do not stay out there as ghosts. I was told I could do something like this... #!/bin/sh for m = job1, job2, job3 x=1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

differentiating PIDs under 200

Hey, So I'm new to shell scripting, and I'm trying to write one for my lab that will keep down the work load by deleting processes that are left over from previous sessions. Basically I want it to do three things. 1) Check the processes running 2) See if that person is logged on. 3) if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prgoodwin
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Conflict with PIDs

I am trying to determine the root cause of a java process that dies trying to startup during it's cron job. I did go ahead and change the time that it starts up in the cron file and now it starts successfully. However is there a way to determine what PID a process was attempting to get when... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedder191
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to kill pids

Hi there !!! I am writing a script to kill the pids on different linux boxes :cool: the output of my command gives the pids running on that box, but how can I kill all the pids without looping? :confused: Code: ssh $i ps -fu $USER | grep ManServer | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' | kill ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prany_cool
4 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-c] [-n] [-x] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -c Only return process ids that are running with the same root directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not own. -n Avoid stat(2) system function call on all binaries which are located on network based file systems like NFS. Instead of using this option the the variable PIDOF_NETFS may be set and exported. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o omitpid Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. EXIT STATUS
0 At least one program was found with the requested name. 1 No program was found with the requested name. NOTES
pidof is actually the same program as killall5; the program behaves according to the name under which it is called. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. Note that that the executable name of running processes is calculated with readlink(2), so symbolic links to executables will also match. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8), killall5(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)